The Corroboree
PD.

Acacia seed giveaway

While I'm "patiently" waiting for mine too, I was wandering if all the recipients would think it a good idea to open a kind of growlog thread so we could share some info/ methods /doubts and progression?

This is a difficult and endangered species, and from what I managed to gather arround, I for sure would benefit from such thread and the Phleb(s) probably too :)

Whoa there's a long deviation in postage reciept. Could that be a result of the holiday season or is it just a great deal longer sending things across the country (or into WA)?

Yeh obviously due to holidays, all packages were sent in one lot on the 22nd or 23rd (cant recall the exact date). Packages for OS members were sent at the same time.

Would love to see reports of how these grow
I was wandering if all the recipients would think it a good idea to open a kind of growlog thread so we could share some info/ methods /doubts and progression?

ditto, one thread where everyone can put their success and failures, will help those others that want to have a go at growing them in the future. I have more seed now, just gotta get around to working out a way to get seed out to everyone. I thought about making up 50-100 small packs and then sending the whole lot to the first person that posts in a thread, then they take a pack out and send the lot on to the second person and so on. The only downfalls would be that someone may take more than one package, take a few extra out of each package, keep the lot or may just not post it to the next person quick enough. In other words it could get messed up quiet easily and there goes a large lot of precious seeds, a waste of time and a waste of me doin the 3 hour round trip to the mountain not to mention the time spent getting the seeds separated from the pods and stuff. Anyways, ill work something out and there will be seeds for more ppl. Apologies to those that got no reply from PMs sent to me in regards to this give-away, pls understand i got a fair amount and i only replied to those that got in first and got the seeds sent to them. Thanks.

Edited by PD.

Hey, hey, I had them waiting for me when I got home today :) Beautifull and shinny little things...

Nice one PD. A "veritable tour de force" :) Your ideia is great and definitely works, but it's based on trust. Basically, no one in the chain may fuck up. You could maybe do 5 lists of 20, or 1 list of 20 to start and see how it goes :)

Later on when I'm back, I'll start The Phleb thread then.

You're thinking in the right direction with a passing on network, but as you have pointed out, a single chain distribution structure is very inefficient in all metrics except cost (but that's assuming you can fit everything in a single letter anyway, hah!) and has many points of weakness.

A better distribution structure would be a tree, where you send to maybe 4 people, and they each then send to 4 people, and then they also send to 4 people (That's 84 recipients).

If 50% of the participants for each sending level were thiefs, you would still have delivered to a minimum of 33.33333% of the people (28 would have received out of 84 possible recipients) (including the 6 thiefs).

If 50% of the sending recipients for the chain structure were thiefs, you would expect no more than 5 people to receive seeds before a thief intercepted the lot (i.e. 95% chance at least one thief has received the package).

Now I'm not suggesting you send to the 4x4x4, nor that 50% of the people here are thieves, but merely that maths is cool.

Edited by βluntmuffin

Hey PD. could you describe the soil that supports and feeds the Phleb you're gathering your seeds from?

Sorry, stupid me. Only one place you could be gathering from - likes Alpine granite slopes with inhert soil between the cracks...

Edited by Quetzalt

got my seeds today in the US. Took a second to realize what they were, but they're safe now! Thanks!