The Corroboree
Stillman

Spilanthes Acmella oleracea Tooth ache plant

I have this plant self seeding in my garden everywhere. I originally bought it from bunnings years ago. However my plants flowers are all yellow not red and yellow? When you chew it it certainly makes your mouth feel odd. and apparently it was used as a cure for stuttering? Has anyone much personal information/ experience with this plant.

some info

http://www.enotes.com/topic/Acmella_oleracea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acmella_oleracea

I had it years ago.

Yellow flowers as well.

I liken eating it to putting your tongue on a battery.

Good for your lymphatic system as all the salivation draws fluid through your system

lmao.... this is one of my fav plants, and is my personal favorite to give to friends and family with little or no interest in ethno / botany.

Funny to see them salivating like crazy and dribbling everywhere. :drool2: Has induced a good load of laughter between me and apprehensive mates.

I give them buds to try and it 'zings' the whole mouth out, as opposed to proper ayurvedic use, where leaves would be applied directly to irritated or painful teeth/gums, to directly target a specific area of the mouth.

Mine was also the plain yellow type, and one of the few plants i have had trouble with through SE QLD hot humid summers.was booming through winter though. :scratchhead:

a great plant to have in any garden, mine drinks water like its going out of fashion

A favourite of mine too. Got my first bunch from Guruna. Was pleasantly surprised when they showed up in those 6-punnet "peek-a-boo" ground covers at bunnings.

I found the flowers to be the strongest, but I got a bit gagy when I had too many flowers at once. Now I would prefer to just chew/suck on a piece of stem as I'm gardening. I should really track down some more seeds as the ones I planted are apparently no longer viable after 5ish years.

Can't say it helps with toothache or numbs at all really. But 2deep's "zing" is a very good description.

Spilanthes + drinking carbonated beverages = the shizzle.

This sounds really interesting. I might have to track some down.

I have some flowers on at the moment I'll put some aside and when they are dry I'll just add on this thread that I have seeds available if any one is interested. As I said it grows like a weed here, self seeding all over the place. But I do only have the all yellow flower not like the red tipped flower you see online. I would be interested in trading for some of those seeds even.

That would be great, thanks Stillman. I'll check back here later in the season.

Alice i cant wait to try some carbonated goodness + splinthanol...wonderful idea...

there are at least4 distinct flower types of this plant. we currently grow 2 and should have the other two later in the year. they will be in the webstore soon.

whoa thanks Torsten.. That's cool to know., and i only thought there was the two. Will have to grab both when im down in Wandjina next.

P.S your avatar of a raver almost gave me epilepsy lol :blink::shroomer: , and im now scared to read more of your posts.

• Like 1

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but a seller on eBay sent me one of these plants instead of Silene Capensis. took me a while to figure out what it is exactly. now I too enjoy giving leaves to friends from time to time. you guys eat the flowers too? any preparation/recipes to share?

Yes, the flowers are the strongest part. I usually pick a tip with flower and a set of leaves and some stalk. chomp on the flower and leaves, then keep the stem sticking out of your lips to make them tingle. Goes well with beer or anything fizzy.

I haven't heard of any preparations as such, I think most people just chomp fresh.

I've made my own simple lip balm before using different herbals. I wonder what a lip balm with this stuff would be like.

From what I've read you can also make a tea out of it, so I'm leaning towards this stuff is water soluble.

Experimenting...

Necro thread resurrection instead of starting a new one..

Have grown a few of these this season and I am amazed with its effects and potential.
Just started to save the seeds if anyone is interested in trades. I have an all yellow flower variety, I am interested in the other flower types.

Have just prepared a coconut oil extraction in an attempt to make a lip balm/topical.
Has any one else experimented with making preparations of this? Poster above is no longer active.
Particularly interested in concentrated use for mouth wash, wrinkles, tooth aches and topically.

I can get vegetable glycerin and alcohol, will try with those eventually.

• Like 2

I love this plant too, it's such an unexploited sensory feeling. I always thought Spilanthes candies or chewing gums would be amazing. I made some Spilanthes infused Rhum by steeping flowers and stems in it for a few months. Works really well on its own for mild tooth/mouth aches and actually makes great cocktails if mixed with some juice.

IMG_20180412_204402-947x1524.thumb.jpg.3ace7ac94e15928e45b93d2e2fc9d10e.jpg

I do have some of the red & yellow seeds (S. oleracea I believe vs. S. acmella for the all yellow) but unfortunately I mixed both types together. Hopefully you'll find someone in Aus who has them but if not I can send you some.

Yo i've got seeds for the red tipped flower type that I harvested this season, nice and fresh :) I'm keen on tradesies for the full yellow type or any other seeds, PM me if anyone is interested

• Like 3

Hook me up bruv Nic. I managed to kill all mine with too much sun on a shallow seed flat in December.