The Corroboree
Torsten

Moderator discussion of forum features

What do you guys reckon we (super mods) do with mod preview posts in other mods' forums? My inclination would be to just approve the post if it doesn't look suspect and hasn't been reported. If a post looks borderline as far as forum rules are concerned, I would just leave it in case its been intentionally unapproved by another mod, but if it's a completely innocent post, especially if it's the person's first or second post, I think it would be reasonable to assume that it's just been caught by mod preview and can be approved.

Just wanted to check what everyone else's thoughts are on this before interfering in others' forums.

I agree, and you will not offend the integrity, of this/those mod(s) either, for obvious reasons.

OK with me.
Im am no doubt guilty of leaving a trail of unfinished mod jobs in my wake at various times.

you get more and more handsome all the time WT, whats your secret?

I think this avatar will be hard to beat on spunkiness - plastic surgery ;)

• Like 1

I have just approved a whole lot of new members, but was using a new system and I may have accidentally let in a spammer or two [unrestricted, so their posts will show immediately]. Won't happen again - just an oversight. It's literally just one or two and they may be legit members anyway. Just keep your eyes open for a few days please. sorry.

I am considering removing the classifieds module. It is not being updated at the same rate as the main software and has pretty much been useless for many months.

A new solution to the high traffic in the trade forum would be to split the forum into 4 subforums as below. Sale ads get lost in the trade ones and require bumping. Wanted ads get lost entirely. So I thought we could separate them. Comments from mods please [i'll ask for general feedback in a different thread shortly]?

Reputations

For sale

For trade

Wanted

• Like 3

i like the idea of splitting the trade forum up. Things do seem to get swamped in there very fast these days. I do think maybe splitting into

reputations

Sale/trade/wanted vascular plant

Sale/trade/wanted cacti

sale/ trade/wanted other

Might be worth considering too.

Is this thread supposed to be viewable by regular users?

Hi mush fun,

It's I'd just a normal post that anyone can see. And see the background to any changes that may happen. . :)

WT

I am considering removing the classifieds module. It is not being updated at the same rate as the main software and has pretty much been useless for many months.

A new solution to the high traffic in the trade forum would be to split the forum into 4 subforums as below. Sale ads get lost in the trade ones and require bumping. Wanted ads get lost entirely. So I thought we could separate them. Comments from mods please [i'll ask for general feedback in a different thread shortly]?

Yes, the classifieds is most likely a Plugin that costs extra and does not add anything of value that can´t be done with a Sales forum. Personally, i think it may be a good thing to introduce a new member class called "Supporter", which comes with extra privileges like for example, the commercial Use of the trading subforum "sales" and maybe also with the Option to have a Thread pinned on top of that forum, Ad-free surfing, etc. Again, we´re not talking about large sums, but a small one time donation of 15 dollars or so in order to keep the forum alive. You could also add the option of giving a "Tip" on top of that but that would just be for the people who want to donate more. And i think it would be a good thing to offer a lifelong Supporter Status for this one supporter donation. I don´t think a monthly paid sum would work and there wouldn´t be so many members who could afford it. I know this doesn´t belong in this Thread but i felt like it is directly related to the classifieds plugin and the new forums.

Edited by Evil Genius

Good thinking EG. I hadn't considered tying various methods of financially supporting the forum together into one 'supporter' membership group. I wouldn't do it monthly, but maybe annually?

Hillbilly, I am not sure if that divison addresses the main problems. eg 'wanted' ads [which often have a longevity of many months] would still get lost quickly. If my method doesn't solve some of the problems, we can always split the sales into cactus sales & vasc sales in the future though.

mushfun, we don't have a secret mod forum here. It's a community so it's good to discuss these issues openly. This thread just makes it easier for the mods to find stuff.

• Like 1