The Corroboree
Torsten

Moderator discussion of forum features

I've started this thread as the new software will undoubtedly bring new challenges for mods and admin.

The first one I noticed is that invisible threads are now prominently notified on the forum homepage as "queued". Up to this point I've preferred using 'set invisible' as the delete function so that the content an be brought back anytime if needed and also to give mods/admin an insight into the content that was removed.

This has come back to bite us now. However, we have other options.

This version [same as the last] has a 'soft delete' option. So if in future you want to get rid of content then please click delete which will bring up the option of 'delete by removing from view' or 'delete completely'. The 'delete by removing from view' is NOT the same as setting invisible. 'Remove from view' will remove the content from view, but will leave a slot for the removed post and a button to retrieve it. Using this delete method will not queue the topic for moderation [like 'set invisible' does].

So, the 3 options are:

1. 'set invisible' - use if the content just needs some modification or a delay in making visible. This will trigger a 'queued' icon on your forum homepage.

2. 'delete > remove from view' - use if the content is likely to be completely removed.

3. 'delete > delete permanently' - do not use except for double posts or where members have deleted their content themselves. No actual content should be deleted permanently. That way any misunderstandings and disputes can be rectified.

Because many deleted topics have simply been set invisible you mods will have to go through each one of them and reassign them to one of the above. Most will end up in #2. The aim is to try and not have a 'queued' icon on the homepage because we need this to alert us to actual newly queued topics arising out of 'moderator preview' situations. Moderator preview is a good feature to use when threads escalate. It means we don't have to give 'time outs' to members [which can be a bit unfair], but rather we just preview their posts to make sure they don't escalate.

To reassign the queued topics simply click the queued icon of your forum and they will be brought to the top. Queued topics will be pink in the topic list. Queued posts will also be pink, but the topic title won't be. Hovering over the icon will tell you how many threads and posts are queued.

When I click on delete under the topic moderation it comes up with the confirmation screen to delete and says there will be no other confirmation screens. But it doesn't give me an option to remove from view or delete permanently.

Also, when I have multiple tabs running and try and cut and paste from one to another, there is a problem. Paste doesn't appear.

The soft delete function is a new setting in my admin panel, so i had to activate this for you first. please test. if it is working for you then I can set it for all the other mods too.

Try pasting shortcut ctrl + v and let me know if this works. I only use ctrl + c and ctrl + v anyway, so I'd never encounter that problem.

I just deleted a topic in the chill forum and didn't get an option for

'remove from view' or ' delete permanently'

just a window asking if I was sure.

this was via the tick boxes on the right of the topics list and the drop down list of things to do with selected topics

the moderator preview is good. will make things much easier and cleaner.

Moderators have the powder to soft delete in ALL forums [not just their own]. Please use this judiciously and always inform the relevant mod if you have interfered in his/her forum immediately via PM. This should only be used in emergencies and especially when you are aware that a mod is unreachable for a period of time that could become problematic.

Apparently mods can now also give maximum warn points to cause the banning of a member. This feature was supposed to be in the last version, but did not work [known bug]. It may sometimes be better to temporarily ban a member rather than to soft delete his post if he is being messy in another mod's forum.

too quick ;)

is it working for you now?

I have completed all mod settings, so the above should now apply to all mods.

I still just get a 'Are you sure you want to continue?' warning. I did notice though that in the new moderator control panel you can view the deleted topics (including the one I just deleted) there is the option to ' permanently delete' and 'restore' plus a little clock icon which states it will be permanently deleted shortly. so the same functionality exists there.

the new mod control panel is good by the way. much easier to see what other modding is going on and I think probably provide a better overview of the forums.

I've created a mod account [cos admins get all sorts of other features].

When I click delete I also get the 'are you sure'. If I confirm then it goes to a screen that has soft delete option on left and hard delete on right. Please try again.

oh yeah! that moderator control panel is awesome. I especially like the bit where you can see recent warnings and their reasons. that way all mods know who is causing trouble. This fits in really well with the new concept of mods helping outside of their own forum.

ok that works. :)

I permanently deleted the topic ( duplicate ) and it is now sitting in the moderator CP.

the control panel is also good to see who the tough mods are - You know who you are! ;)

I really like the new update a lot and all the changes are great for the mods. Im writing from mobile atm and will write more when im back at home. But i totally dig the update.

the control panel is also good to see who the tough mods are - You know who you are! ;)

I want to make sure that the individual levels of moderation are maintained. ie I don't want the new global delete powers to upset this balance. For example the cactus mods are a bit tougher on prep & potency discussion than the other plant forum mods are and that is just perfect as far as i am concerned. Ditto for alchemica being very strict in the pharmacology forum.

So the new global powers should really only be used if lack of intervention is likely to cause significantly more trouble. The sort of cases I had in mind were when I was away for 5 days and evilgenius needed to act on my behalf because he was the only one who knew. Or the fact that andyamine has the odd week where he gets too busy to pop in. Or a member just completely loses it or incriminates someone, and everyone just has to watch the trainwreck until the mod or me log in some hours or days later.

Also any mod that feels his forum is being interfered with too much by other mods please let me know asap. Don't let it become a problem before putting me in the loop. I am specifically giving you guys more authority so that it doesn't all rest with me.

Should I be seeing this ?

Permissions ?

We have no secret moderators forum. our moderations policies have always been completely transparent. The mods may discuss individual member problems via PM on a one to one basis, but there is no hidden forum for such discussions. By all members being able to follow how the mods operate it is easier for them to understand how things work and how to make the mod's life easier. It also allows trolls to work out how to make life harder, but a good troll already knows these things anyway.

However, as you are not a moderator you should probably not be posting in this thread ;)

So the new global powers should really only be used if lack of intervention is likely to cause significantly more trouble.

Yes we will keep ourselves out of pretty much all the moderating in other forums when a moderator is around and moderating is soon the be happening. Dont want to interfere with other moderators as everyone has his own personal style and thats actually a pretty good thing. The Update avoids difficult situations like the last one and thats basically what i wanted. Very nice option in case its really urgently.

:innocent_n:

Edited by Evil Genius

queued topics and threads can only be permanently deleted, to make the queued icon dissapeare.

it's not possible to set a post invisible, and to make the queued icon go away.

your open post confuses me greatly.

because, as said, our mod features only allowe to do what is listed in the options, options as you say in your opening post don't excist.

we don't have a #2 option remove from view (that's what you want us do to)!

Edited by planthelper

queued topics and threads can only be permanently deleted, to make the queued icon dissapeare.

if you go to the delete function and click this then you will be given a choice of soft delete or hard delete. It definitely works now. I've double checked your settings and you have access to this as well.

it's not possible to set a post invisible, and to make the queued icon go away.

exactly. hence the need to use the soft delete #2 option.

because, as said, our mod features only allowe to do what is listed in the options, options as you say in your opening post don't excist.

we don't have a #2 option remove from view (that's what you want us do to)!

In my opening post I wrote "delete > remove from view". The '>' symbol means there is an operation/action between the two. ie you look for 'delete' first, then click that and THEN you are given the options of soft or hard delete. Try it.

working all good now, as far as I can tell. :)

Moderators can now see the report centre. The report centre is where all the info is collected when members report a post. This means that reported posts can now be dealt with by the mods rather than by me.

Moderators can now see the report centre. The report centre is where all the info is collected when members report a post. This means that reported posts can now be dealt with by the mods rather than by me.

Thats awesome! Its getting better every day.

Mods, if you have to adjust warn level [up or down], go to your forum and find a post by the member that you are trying to adjust. Click on 'warn level' in their sidebar. That will bring up the image below which is just a summary of activity. At the bottom of this is a button you need to click to actually go to the adjustment screen.

post-6-0-64606500-1324305742_thumb.jpg

mod.jpg

mod.jpg

Alright, problem solved. The window opened but i couldnt see the bottom of it because im writing from laptop. Reducing zoom solved the problem. Thanks!

Is it only in our own forums that "warn status" is visible? It used to be visible to all members.

EDIT: Warn level that is.

Edited by ballzac

i found now the page wher it ask's you, on the left

remove from view, and on the right delete from topic, i guess thats what you mean tort.

but i thought, what you call a soft delete (the left click), would leave the the text, but it doesn't.

the only difference is, that the member name stay's, in the empty frame of the post.

if as a mod, you would like to be reminded what the post was about, one would have to make notes and fill out the report.

what i say is, tort want's all queued deleted, so that one would be alerted by new troublesome posts, by the queued icon.

but if we do that, the subject matter of the queued posts will be lost.

as a mod i would prefere, to leave the subject matter, so i know what has caused the trouble.

this is more important for me than to, try not to have any queued topics.

i mean, a new troubled post will stick out anyway.

torts info, was far too vague for me, and the term soft delete doesn't excist in the software.

this is how you click:

click a tick into the # number of the post you want to delete.

click, show moderation tools

click delete posts at the right bottom window.

click, with selected

popup asks, are you sure?

click, ok

page appears with two options, left, remove from view, or right delete from topic.

and i think you want us to use the left side option, right?