The Corroboree
Torsten

Forum upgrade happening in the next few days.

where's the "like like" button?

"do you like it, or do you...like like it...."

Green? how long have you been a member here? we've never been green. We have always been australian earth colours [with the occasional blue artefact thrown in via the software upgrades].

Been visiting the forums since 2001, and a member since 2005.. I know it has always been orange, but after an upgrade about 3 years ago part of the forum started being green.. I can't remember now without seeing the forum, maybe its the quote boxes?

I am actually seriously considering that. It will still be australian colours though. No, I don't mean blue, red and white, but rather the shades of our soils.

That would be cool! Would be great to see what they come up with.

I know the negs thing has been an issue for a long time, but I think it was always the anonymity factor that was the problem. How would people feel about a "dislike" button as well now that it couldn't be done from behind a curtain? - not even sure it's possible in the software, but throwing it out there.

Overall, I really like the new system. Seems pretty straightforward with some good improvements. I know the colours will be perfect once sorted.

• Like 1

Disregard

Edited by gilligan

I wonder if that is one of the aboriginal dreamtime stories: "... and then a magical clown-being threw up all over the place and created our sared ochres and our rich red sands."

Gold! :lol:

A question. The user join date has now disappeared. Will it come back or is it permanently gone? I suppose it doesn't really matter, but it's often helpful being able to gauge how long a user has been a member, especially with new members.

Personally, I think there should either be no rating system or a rating system where users can choose to either like or dislike a post. I really don't like the inability to dislike posts on Facebook, it frustrates me.

• Like 3

A question. The user join date has now disappeared. Will it come back or is it permanently gone? I suppose it doesn't really matter, but it's often helpful being able to gauge how long a user has been a member, especially with new members.

If you run your cursor over a members name, you get like a preview of their profile and the join date is included in the info' .

• Like 4

Wow! After a few nangs I realised that you can block the signature blocks of individuals or all members. Just click the little cross that appears as you hover over a signature block. Incredible!

(Who says nangs don't give you insight?)

• Like 2

AHHH, i was wondering what that X did. I was too scared to tap it incase i broke something :)

Wow! After a few nangs I realised that you can block the signature blocks of individuals or all members. Just click the little cross that appears as you hover over a signature block. Incredible!

(Who says nangs don't give you insight?)

Do you know how to get it back? :unsure:

• Like 1

Personally, I think there should either be no rating system or a rating system where users can choose to either like or dislike a post. I really don't like the inability to dislike posts on Facebook, it frustrates me.

Me too. I installed a dislike app because it annoyed me so much. After a few weeks I stopped using it and now find it pretty much useless. There is way too much crap to dislike on FB to bother with it.

The options for this forum are the same three ratings options we had before, all of which are 'anonymous'. Pos only, neg only, pos & neg.

On top of this we now have the like system available, which is the only non-anonymous one.

yes, I would prefer a like system that also has dislike, but that just isn't available, sorry. So we need to decide which system to go with.

Hmmm, might need a poll for that one Torsten?. I dont mind the 'like' option, but i am less inclined to use it,as i dont want to appear to be stalking(?) members if i am tapping 'like this' to more than one of thier posts. :blush:

If I had to vote, I'd go for either no rating system or the pos./neg. system. Pos. only, neg. only and like only are all to biased. With all that said though, the whole rating system seems to simply lead to squabbles, or people posting for points. Despite using it, I've never viewed it as a necessary feature and have often felt this place would benefit from not having a rating system at all.

dear torsten,

the inability for people to highlight my character flaws by engaging in childish negative ratings of my posts is causing me distress. to help me get through my daily dose of self-loathing, can please give me a warning or two??

also, what's the deal with avatars bru'uh? no more animated gifs? that makes faustus cry :(

Call me a stupid hippie, but I like the new "like" feature, without the "dislike" option. There's plenty of hate in the world; no reason to make it easier for people.

Now excuse me while I go off and dance for joy.

the inability for people to highlight my character flaws by engaging in childish negative ratings of my posts is causing me distress. to help me get through my daily dose of self-loathing, can please give me a warning or two??

no, but I can personally tell you that you suck :P

did that help?

also, what's the deal with avatars bru'uh? no more animated gifs? that makes faustus cry :(

The new version got rid of the profile pic and simplified the avatar. I am pretty sure animated avatars are still allowed, but may need to find the right settings. can you please keep your avatar animated so I can check it for success.

^ whether i upload or link to a URL, none of my animated gifs are working (regardless of file size)

If by some chance you feel like refreshing the header image feel free to use any I have taken/posted - if you need me to remove a watermark just let me know :)

someone has volunteered to do the CSS design and also a banner, so I will leave it up to that person for the moment. Not sure if he wants to be identified. So nothing is going to happen for a few days until he can attend to it.

^ whether i upload or link to a URL, none of my animated gifs are working (regardless of file size)

checked the settings, but they were all OK. Just uploaded an animated gif and it works just fine.

It doesn't look like your image uploaded as this file asn't there : http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/uploads/profile/photo-157.jpg , so I thought it was a server problem, but it is obviously not.

someone has volunteered to do the CSS design and also a banner, so I will leave it up to that person for the moment. Not sure if he wants to be identified. So nothing is going to happen for a few days until he can attend to it.

No worries :D The offer stands for the un-named helper :)

I know it's kind of cheesy, but I was thinking the other day that themed banners would be kind of fun. You know, like what google does. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a christmas cap on one of the letters this time of year, or the o's made out of easter eggs at the relevant time of year, but I know the christian holidays are a bit passe, perhaps even frowned upon by much of this community, so maybe ones that commemorate events that are important to this community. For example, two of the O's could be the wheels of Hofmann's bike on bicycle day.

EDIT: For illustrative purposes...

Image1.png

Edited by ballzac
  • Like 2

The Corroboree header is visible on my main computer, but not on my laptop.??

Interesting ballzac ^ . Bit of fun hey!

LOL, love the idea, but hesitant to take on anything that creates more work for me ;) However, the new software manages banners differently, so if it is easy enough then I might be convinced. let's see what the new banner will look like first though.

I know it's kind of cheesy, but I was thinking the other day that themed banners would be kind of fun. You know, like what google does. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a christmas cap on one of the letters this time of year, or the o's made out of easter eggs at the relevant time of year, but I know the christian holidays are a bit passe, perhaps even frowned upon by much of this community, so maybe ones that commemorate events that are important to this community. For example, two of the O's could be the wheels of Hofmann's bike on bicycle day.

EDIT: For illustrative purposes...

Image1.png

please god dont subject me to christmas at sab as well as everywhere else, like it isn't bad enough hearing cheesy christmas carols in supermarkets, and seeing deer antlers on cars, then to see more christmas decorations on google, and even VLC, but to infect sab with your disease too? someone kill me now.

EDIT:...added from page 2..

please god dont subject me to christmas at sab as well as everywhere else, like it isn't bad enough hearing cheesy christmas carols in supermarkets, and seeing deer antlers on cars, then to see more christmas decorations on google, and even VLC, but to infect sab with your disease too? someone kill me now.

*cough grinch cough

:)

Edited by Amazonian