The Corroboree
Torsten

Forum upgrade happening in the next few days.

I have to agree with chnt here. The idea of a thematic banner which changes as the consumer/capitalist holidays seasons seize the ability of the entire Western world to think with any shred of sanity doesn't sit well with me. There's enough Christmas crap which floods every corner of society and advertising months before the actual damned event. Surely it doesn't need to be shoved in our faces here too.

• Like 1

I am not saying i am for or against the idea of a themed banner. Just saying some people are Anti-Christmas, and that's fine, each to their own.

:)

Some of us actually enjoy the whole Christmas thing. Spending time with family and friends, giving and receiving gifts, having a a few days of work and the best part seeing the excitement building in my kids every day now leading up to Christmas .

You can call me a capitalist and a consumer and I make no apologises for the way I live my life. :)

Merry Christmas

Got

• Like 3

xmas is a rip off idea anyway. if we themed the banner it would be a pagan solstice banner.

• Like 4

Each to their own Got. If you enjoy it, then that's good that you can get something out of it. Regardless of that, shoving Christmas into the face of all and sundry is both Christocentric (we're supposedly a secular society, no?) and heavily based on perpetuating consumerism at its most obscene. I don't wish to take the enjoyment out of it for others, but I don't want it shoved down my throat at every conceivable turn either. Christmas is great in terms of bringing people together via social functions, but it surely can do without all the ads and jingles which assault us all, including themed banners on internet forums.

Anyway, enjoy your holiday period.

If there had to be themed banners, a pagan solstice theme would be preferable to me.

• Like 1

Some of us actually enjoy the whole Christmas thing. Spending time with family and friends, giving and receiving gifts, having a a few days of work and the best part seeing the excitement building in my kids every day now leading up to Christmas .

You can call me a capitalist and a consumer and I make no apologises for the way I live my life. :)

Merry Christmas

Got

those people can enjoy the abundance of advertising and tax payers money wasted on decorations and lights everywhere you go.

but try and see it from the other side, be empathetic of others who perhaps see christmas as a meaningless joke, as just another excuse to over-advertise and reinforce the hyper-reality we exist in.

the people who like christmas can enjoy all the annoying shit if they want, but for people who are anti-christmas, or simply find christmas carols, decorations, etc, extremely fucking frustratingly annoying, this time of year is extremely unpleasant, and infecting sab would just be horrible for these people, for which i am one.

another thing to consider, if people love family time, you know you can actually spend time with family when ever you want, there's no rule saying that you can only get together at a certain time of year, if you wanna give someone you love a present, you can do that too, you can cook for them or do what ever you want, any day of the year.

• Like 1

It's strange how this turned into an argument about Christmas stuff considering that I never suggested we have Christmas themed banners. In fact, I specifically said it would be a bad idea because a lot of people here have a problem with Christmas, and instead I suggested themes based upon events more relevant to this community...even going to the extent of providing an example :scratchhead:

It's strange how this turned into an argument about Christmas stuff considering that I never suggested we have Christmas themed banners. In fact, I specifically said it would be a bad idea because a lot of people here have a problem with Christmas, and instead I suggested themes based upon events more relevant to this community...even going to the extent of providing an example :scratchhead:

i wasn't having a go at you or trying to start an argument with you, i was just expressing my feelings related to christmas which were sparked by your reply, specifically this sentence.

"I personally wouldn't mind seeing a christmas cap on one of the letters this time of year"

you can see why i might have posted what i posted by reading this.

Ah, I see. My post was ambiguous. I meant it as in "Although it wouldn't really bother me, I know it bothers others."

"wouldn't mind" didn't mean "would love" as it so often does.

yeah after i posted that my gf explained what you actually meant.

i'm like a bull and christmas and easter are very red.

those people can enjoy the abundance of advertising and tax payers money wasted on decorations and lights everywhere you go.

the money on lights and stuff everywhere isn't wasted purely for the happiness it brings to my, and others, kids. The presents aren't wasted as it is a time of sharing and a time to get some new stuff where you ordinarily may not do so.

by the way i actually like the smooth look of the new skin. and i like the like button and feel that the removal of neg is a good thing, if you dont like it then you can post your reasons why rather than just clicking an anonymous "i dont like your thoughts" button

from the look of if only 3-4 colors are actually used in the css which makes it nice and easy on the eyes. My opinion T would be to get the current colors from the CSS and goto a color schemer website and get the same "shades" of a different color... i know i have e xplained this really poorly if i had the time i would take a screenshot and do this myself. Doing it this way would mean that they layout would still "flow" as it is meant to.

i also like the little "preview thread" down arrow in the topics list i find this to be quite a nifty function as well as the little popup showing you how many posts you have multi-quoted and a quick easy access reply button on it. I also find the notifications to be a bit better laid out. The only thing i really think we dont need is the display picture in the topic lists.

I must say I am really not digging the blue and looking forward to the restoration of original earth tones but it would be cool if we could skin the site ourselves.. earth tones or green or black for instance. I guess that would end up being three times as much work though, but would be a nice option.

Torsten and a few others beat me to it...

the proper calender celebrations would be very appropriate for this forum, yuletide, summer/winter solstice, a harvest festival, australia day, all the shit that actually matters.

I must say I am really not digging the blue and looking forward to the restoration of original earth tones but it would be cool if we could skin the site ourselves.. earth tones or green or black for instance. I guess that would end up being three times as much work though, but would be a nice option.

adding multiple stylesheets isn't that hard at all, making ones where the user can set the values is. So there could be the ability for people to choose between an assortment of skins. Maybe the person doing the stylesheet could add a few extra free skins on while they are at it ;)

• Like 1

Ive had the original earth colours since about 4 days after the upgrade.

Torsten and a few others beat me to it...

the proper calender celebrations would be very appropriate for this forum, yuletide, summer/winter solstice, a harvest festival, australia day, all the shit that actually matters.

Australia Day? The commemoration of one of the high points in British penal and racist imperial atrocities? Celebrated by many with some good ol' fashioned wog bashing and American style flag-waving? No thanks! I think I'd rather celebrate the birth of some random Jewish goat-herd from 2000 years ago.

• Like 6

me too i love goat herds

• Like 1

i hope this has not been mentioned before.

the hot symbol, seems to come up once a thread made 480 views or whatever.

but there are many, many threads with more than 1000 views which recieved no hot symbol.

i guess the software has a bug.

I think it appears when there are over 20 replies

Ive had the original earth colours since about 4 days after the upgrade.

Serious?

Not me.

I thought it hadn't happened yet, and I didn't want to hassle as I imagine the man is rather busy. Has anyone else got non-blue colours yet? I cleared the cache etc.

• Like 1

nope

Yeah, I cleared the cache and all the rest of it, but still no header and all blue.

Also, when I browse on my phone I no longer have the "View New Content" button option, and have to manually go through every sub-forum to see if there are any new updates. Anyone know of a trick around this, if there is one?

it's still blue.

it's still blue.

Actually, in the options in the bottom left you can flick it over to show the old earthy colour scheme, but the formatting of the page elements is all over the shop, so I wouldnt recommend anyone do so.

See example taken Friday evening, 7.30pm: