The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
CβL

BM's garden update 11/12/11 (Image heavy)

So it's time for an update to my garden, and how it's been doing.

First of all, I'd like to thank the various members who have given me seeds or plants throughout this year in some manner or another. I have a photo of some plants from seed from Hellonasty, and I have 4 little peruvianus seedlings that are courtesy of Evil Genius. I also got some HBWR plants from san p that have since perished while I was away and unable to care for them. :( :(

But I'm thankful nonetheless. Thanks to bit for giving me some seed from his plants. I have more of those seedlings than I know what to do with. I'll probably give some away once they're distinctive enough. Thanks also to Blood Trance Fusion for seed, I have not sown them yet (was testing on cheapo local seed first), but no doubt it is good seed. Thank you to anyone else who I have missed!

Also thank you very much to all the NZ and Australian members who I have traded with. There are too many to list, but hopefully this time next year it'll be twice as many as this time. :)

Anyway.

gallery_7332_400_292464.jpg

Here is where I keep most of the bigger plants in pots. A few have moved out, and a few have moved in.

gallery_7332_400_253749.jpg

Trichocereus sp. 'CC Bridgesii'. I've never seen a pup appear from the middle like that, so I took a photo. It's got to push spines out of the way to grow. Hehehe.

gallery_7332_400_104378.jpg

One of my newer Pachanoi plants. I really like the way the spines are so uniform. Suggests hybrid to me. Has anyone seen wild plants like this?

I also think it's the exact same clone as zee_werp's macrogonus. In a thread from a few years ago.

gallery_7332_400_61404.jpg

Trichocereus peruvianus MB clone (I've decided to call it this). As you can see, I'm trying to get it to bolt.

gallery_7332_400_246259.jpg

My favourite Terscheckii/Pachanoi seedling. Beautiful golden spines (but short enough so that I can repot it without plate armour). Unsure of which direction cross was performed. It's brother has started to grow really strangely, and a few ribs have managed to get 1-2 areoles ahead of the other side. None of the other plants have done that.

gallery_7332_400_98718.jpg

This Peruvianus 'Marcus' (as it came from a grower called Marcus, and he grew from seed) plant was in full sun a bit too long, so has gone a bit pale. Oops.

gallery_7332_400_289546.jpg

Trichocereus bridgesii plants, from Quentin. I'm pretty sure the one on the right is hybridized with say a Pachanoi or something. I have a feeling the seed (Quentin does not know for sure) came from SS or one of the other hybridizing seed sources.

gallery_7332_400_173619.jpg

Trichocereus bridgesii [from Quentin] in foreground, Trichocereus peruvianus 'Marcus' in background.

The bridgesii has succinct spines and quite a nice blue colour. I suspect it had a peruvianus for a father.

gallery_7332_400_48727.jpg

SS02 x Bridgesii v2.0 (recovery from vicious slug attack). I really liked this seedling, so was absolutely gutted to find it like this. Luckily, it had enough strength to regrow.

gallery_7332_400_389632.jpg

This is a Trichocereus peruvianus, from Quentin, that I am particularly fond of. Just looks awesome.

gallery_7332_400_126985.jpg

Trichocereus macrogonus, also from Quentin. Very nice plant. Huge areoles, fat ribs, fat spines.

gallery_7332_400_191944.jpg

Trichocereus taquimbalensis. These were seed-grown originally, so are slightly different in terms of character. Hopefully they can be used for future breeding stock (the reason I got them). The rope was from handling them, and left on in-case they fell over and I needed to pick them up.

gallery_7332_400_31795.jpg

TBM pup. I'm not particularly fond of mutants (mutant I do like, ;) ).

I wish I had a columnar bridgesii with red spines like this!

gallery_7332_400_218726.jpg

Trichocereus bridgesii, again from Quentin.

"can't you grow your own bridgesii dude?" - Answer: "Wait for 2 years, and you'll see how many bridgesii are in the nursery."

gallery_7332_400_11447.jpg

Trichocereus pachanoi. I have high hopes for this one. Supposedly it gets burnt very easily. Nevertheless, it looks very nice.

gallery_7332_400_266462.jpg

Trichocereus peruvianus - spider CBD. They seem to think it's their private tower or something (admittedly I do save spiders and put them onto the cactuses though).

Also came from Quentin. Sorry for poor focus. :/

gallery_7332_400_146894.jpg

Trichocereus bridgesii. Came from Marcus as well. I have a photo of the mother plant somewhere, which from memory was very impressive.

• Like 5

Some beautiful cacti you got there bro, nice work! :)

Thanks Bretloth. I think it's pretty good considering I only visit maybe 1-3 times a month, hehe.

Also, I didn't take a photo, but in the first photo, near the back on the right hand side you can see a sort of 'curved pup' emerging. I'm very sure it was actually a flower bud. It has remained on the plant for at least 10 months now (since I received the cutting). Many of the ribs on the bud have merged, so it is perhaps turning back into a pup. I'm not sure if they can do that, but it looks like it.

Technically I just called his song with cactus spines lame, but I've also come to the same conclusion with the rest of what he has done. ^^

:worship:

killer

very impressive collection

thanks for posting βluntmuffin

All looking nice and healthy! Great work :D

Nice cacti. Where did you get the green squat pots from? It's so hard to find decent plastic cactus pots that don't have a moulded lip for redbacks and other spiders to hide under. Yours look like the plastic is pretty thick and strong too.

very nice collection indeed

Out of curiosity, is that a Catha edulis plant in the first picture, on the left?

Your cactus look extremely happy.

Very nice man, reminds me of my garden in NZ before I had to give them all away. :'(

Out of curiosity, is that a Catha edulis plant in the first picture, on the left?

Your cactus look extremely happy.

Nah I think it's a Photinia.. they are quite common here.

Great to see your garden man, definitely grown in height and numbers since I last saw photos.

Those Taquimbalensis look gorgeous, must be enjoying their new home.

LOL@ the Spider CBD

Where did you get the green squat pots from?

They look like coro cacti pots to me. They're a nice squat shape too - very stable.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. :)

Alice: Yeah, those pots do come from Coromandel Cacti as bit guessed. I can try and find out who the manufacturer is and get back to you.

CunningPlatypus: Hehe, centipede is almost certainly right. It's definitely not a Catha plant (wish it was though).

lovely plants you have over there bluntmuffin! so many different phenotypes i havent seen around here before.

especially love the taquimbalensis, really want to find one in aus..

Edited by ferret

Awesome looking cacti! I hope that mine will one day also look so mighty.