The Corroboree
chilli

Limestone in Perth?

I can only find crushed limestone (19mm) at a minimum of a cubic meter at soils aint soils, but I only need a little bit. Any ideas where I can get some in Perth?

just get a metre you pussy

edit: zac reckons bicarb is better to use.

edit: ohhhh. you want actual gravel.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

I have access to small pieces of limestone (not crushed)

not sure what exactly your looking for.

have a drive down south redgate lime pits , fill ur boot :innocent_n:

What area are you in ?

There is a place in Wattlegrove that sells bags of all of his bulk stuff

I bought a couple of bags of river sand rather than buy bulk

You could drive around looking for new carparks or roads. The road base is crushed limestone :wink:

Cheers

Got

Thanks all.. Well I just read limestone chips are good to add to soil for germinating lophs... not sure if I need bigger chips or much finer stuff though? I don't think I'll be able to get to either of those places for a while yet, any ideas of a readily available substitute?

You need course sand like river sand

I screen my river sand to take out the really fine and course stuff and add a little screened seedling mix.

I probably go a little overboard as I know a lot of people just sow straight into river sand

The sand is known as river sand, course sand or propagation sand what you don’t want is fine sand like brickies sand or the black Perth sand

Cheers

Got

^what's the drawback of using fine sand?

yeh i just pull up in newly built up areas and fill a bag up, fuck it, i pay my rates...i gotta get something out of it other than Garbo service... ;)

Like i said, i have it if you want it. PM me if needed.

GOT whats the name of this place thats selling river sand?

Ok eatfoo PM'd

Apparently limestone is used to increase the calcium in the soil, but it seems dolomite or gypsum will work as well, and I'm pretty sure I have seen one or both of those at bunnings, which is close by. I don't see how river sand would help with this?

I have seen both chips and powdered recommended, I guess it doesn't matter much as long as the chips weren't too big?

*edit have just read dolomite is also high in magnesium, which may negatively affect the calcium levels..

Edited by chilli

you can get gypsum at Bunnings easy easy, you can even get soil with gypsum allready added, thats not too bad for mature trich's.

I dont think river sand is great for calcium but its well draining ect. So great for seedlings. Ive heard it doesnt hold nutrients well at all though, so adding peat can help.

GOT whats the name of this place thats selling river sand?

Magic Garden Supplies Welshpool road

He sells mainly bulk but I asked him about the river sand and he gave me a bag a said there was a shovel in the pile. I filled two bags which is heaps for what I need at the moment. I can’t remember how much I payed but I really didn’t care much as this was the first time I had found someone willing to sell small amounts. I think the price was fair :scratchhead:

Cheers

Got

Thanks man, i might check it out.

Ive had the same issue with bulk ect.

Dolomite should be available in small quantities from a garden supplier for around $10 . They love it .