The Corroboree
ubza_1234

audio recording computer

Ok, so I'm going to get into recording. Really really entry level stuff but what I'm concerned about, and posting here for, is to know what hardware I will need, other then mic's and mixers and all that. What speeds, ram, sound cards etc at this stage I'm not sure if I want to upgrade my current computer or just build one from scratch, it depends on what I need to get started.

I have tried recording with the built in sound card. I have the drum beat down and hit record. As it records, it plays the drum beat thru my head phones. But the recording is faster then the drum beat! I have been told this is due to latency issues :S

also, if the sounds are amplified when there is no sound playin, this wierd ticking, buzzing sound plays. When I record, this sound is recorded very loudly and I must use noise cancelling filters to remove them, which alters the recorded sound :( it has nothing to do with my input device, as this sound plays no matter if there is an input plugged in or not. there is also no 50hz hum, my cables are good.

So I want to get into this recording game, but what do I need to get started? I don't want to spend too much, and am planning to get some better equipment, should I get into it more in the future but for now,

Best to get an external audio interface. Plenty of pretty good cheap ones around to get started.

Basically, you connect to your computer via a USB or Firewire cable, plug mics/instrument jacks into the box and (as long as you're computer is reasonably well specced) you should be right to go. Latency can generally be adjusted within your recording program via a buffer. Decrease buffer speed and you'll reduce latency with the drawback of your computer choking on data if it's not powerful enough. Increase buffer speed to allow a slower computer to cope with the drawback of a slight delay between the data you enter and the data being played back.

Here are a few good starting points.

http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/prod/AUDIOGRAM6/Yamaha_Audiogram_6_Computer_Recording_System.aspx

http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/prod/55/SAFFIRE6USB/Focusrite_Saffire_6_USB_Audio_Interface.aspx

http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/prod/PRE-AUDIOBOXUSB/Presonus_Audiobox_USB_Interface.aspx

All around the $200 mark. Most of them come with a free basic version of a recording program so you get going straight away. I've linked to just one store there, but shop around and you might be able to get them a little cheaper. Make sure you buy from somewhere that knows what they're doing cos you'll probably get stuck at some point and need to be able to call up for help.

That should fix your clicking problem and latency issues. Probably want to have at least a few gig of RAM in your computer as well.

Get an M-box! easiest start IMO! windows or mac.

You can always upgrade from there, but the m-box will suffice for a beginner for sure! comes with protools, connects via usb etc.. very, very easy stuff.

edit** what rabaelthazar said!

Edited by fydesvindico

ya gold! That's pretty much exactly what I was after! Perfect advice! So basicly all I need is a good recording interface and that should fix all my problems! Yay!!!!! :D now all I need to do is save save save.. Do you think this is something I really need to buy new or is it something that I can buy second hand?

I understand somethings can be damaged easily and sometimes you really should just buy something like this new. But they seem quite strong so what do you guys think?

I'd recommend buy a new one. Second-hand should be fine in terms of the hardwar itself, but if you buy second-hand and the bundled software has required registration you might find yourself locked out from using it with your computer.

PM'd.

Hi Mate,

I've been a recording engineer professionally for many years now, so if you need advice don't hesitate to PM me. I think what the guys have said above is pretty spot on, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend an M-Box. I'm not sure you're getting the best "bang for your buck".

Can you provide a bit of info about the specs/platform of your current computer? Also, what software are you running at the moment?

CM