The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CβL

The fuck?

1) The keys have not been physically swapped

2) It ONLY occurs on the tab which has SAB open, i.e. dictionary.com works fine

Here's the output of the entire keyboard (just alphanumeric part)

P.s. I'm typing into the address bar and copying and pasting with the mouse (Ctrl + V makes a new tab instead)

The real text I type into the address bar and paste after what came out when I typed directly in, it's in italics

`1234567890[]

`1234567890-=

',.pyfgcrl/=\

qwertyuiop[]\

aoeuidhtns-

asdfghjkl;'

;qjkxbmwvz

zxcvbnm,./

~!@#$%^&*(){}

~!@#$%^&*()_+

"<>PYFGCRL?+

QWERTYUIOP{}

AOEUIDHTNS_

ASDFGHJKL:"

:QJKXBMWVZ

ZXCVBNM<>?

This just happened, so I hope it's temporary. And lastly, this is not a fucking joke. I'm seriously nowhere near this lame.

Whoa, that's rather impressive. It looks like SAB is registering a different keyboard layout for you (ie. not qwerty) It looks like dvorak at a glance.

Now that I look it up on google images, it's definitely Dvorak. I don't know why this is happening for you, I'd suggest you check the options in SAB, and if you already have then I'm clueless.

On another note, dvorak claims to be faster than qwerty keyboards, because all of the most common letters of the alphabet are on the home key row.

dvorak.gif

I just closed the tab, and it's back to normal (whew).

And at least it was a Dvorak layout rather than something completely random. I had a feeling there would be a pattern to the madness.

But still, I wonder how it happened. O_o

somebody was telling me that dvorak was in use and they changed to qwerty to slow the typists down because they were too quick for the typewriters...?

I think there's an element of truth in that, but more likely jams occurred not because of speed but because of common letters being positioned near each other.

Being a nerd, I taught myself the Dvorak layout and spent a couple of months using it. The problem was that I couldn't switch back and forth between qwerty and dvorak like I thought I would. I would be at uni or something and have to use qwerty and would find I was really slow. I went back to qwerty obviously. Dvorak may theoretically be marginally faster, but the best layout is necessarily the one that's in common use.

If you can touch type you could of just changed the keyboard input while at Uni. Thats what i did in Europe, rather then using AZERTY

I don't but am thinking about trying it out. I think one of my friends did for a while, him talking about it is the only reason I figured out this little jam.

if it is so easy to switch the input, and it is a better layout, maybe there should be some kind of slow global shift towards dvorak use.

i'd never shift. my fingers can't move faster anyway. i remember how i became a touch t ypist, by spitting out the alphabet while i was bored at school. it can be done in three seconds (on qwerty), although getting up to 100wpm is more about nailing all of the numerals and punctuation, and being familiar with typing words so that you're typing words not letters.

my biggest regret is that i space with one thumb and that isn't good mechanically speaking. if i switch thumbs typing is much, much harder.

It's not as practical as it sounds to "just switch the keyboard layout" under certain circumstances. Especially considering that different operating systems have different methods for switching. If you're going to sit down at a computer for the day and type on it then fine, but what about if you're sharing a computer with someone while you work on a project together? Just typing a single word takes much longer if you have to either switch the layout or work out where the qwerty keys are. I thought it would be rare that such a case would arise, but I often found myself helping someone with something and typing a couple of lines of code or something and watching as gobbldigook appeared on the screen before I realised I had to switch the layout. Too much hassle for me, and much faster just to use the qwerty layout.

Hence the gradual, global shift. Like getting kids to learn it in school and phasing out qwerty keyboards as the new generation deveops or somesuch. Wouldn't be that catastrophic.

also you can carry your own keyboard around rolled up like a sheet of A4 :)

If you need to look at the keys when you type then it completely defeats the purpose of saving several nanoseconds per hour of typing by using a more efficient layout.

Yeah but long term it's beneficial. Let the current users of qwerty continue, and have alternative keyboards made available for kids and spread the availability over time. As thunder said, keyboards can come paper thin these days, you could juse issue a keyboard to each new student at relativly minor costs (with some driver software that makes the computer recognise the layout), and the change wouldn't affect the current or future users very much at all.

Hypothetically of course.

Yeah but long term it's beneficial.

I don't see how it is beneficial at all to train people to look at the keyboard. I know people who have been using a computer daily for more than a decade and still couldn't tell me where any of the keys are without looking.

If you really want to improve efficiency, all schools and workplaces should be issued with blank keyboards. Regardless of whether the layout used is qwerty or Dvorak, this would improve efficiency dramatically as everyone would be forced to learn where the keys are.

One thing that I think would be better to learn is one of the one-handed Dvorak layouts, leaving your other hand free to operate the mouse. THIS would improve efficiency more than the potential fraction of a percent increase in speed from using Dvorak instead of qwerty.

Whoa it is not beneficial to look at the keyboard. I was talking about a switch to Dvorak. Blank keyboards sounds like a fair idea too, though those who are not prone to touch typing would likely have a pretty rough time with them. You're the one who started talking about looking at keyboards.

Could you show me a left-hand dvorak setup? I could only find one for the right hand that I think was intended for people with just one hand. Also, in typing, generally you spend a great deal of time typing, spaced with some short times editing and changing settings with the mouse, so that I think a two handed typing approach would still be superior than any one handed method for most typing tasks.

Whoa it is not beneficial to look at the keyboard. I was talking about a switch to Dvorak. Blank keyboards sounds like a fair idea too, though those who are not prone to touch typing would likely have a pretty rough time with them. You're the one who started talking about looking at keyboards.

Sorry. I thought your post #14 was a direct response to my post about looking at the keyboard.

Could you show me a left-hand dvorak setup? I could only find one for the right hand that I think was intended for people with just one hand. Also, in typing, generally you spend a great deal of time typing, spaced with some short times editing and changing settings with the mouse, so that I think a two handed typing approach would still be superior than any one handed method for most typing tasks.

http://www.onehandedkeyboard.com/dvorak.html

Yeah, it definitely depends what you mostly do. For data entry, coding, even gaming, it would be beneficial to be able to type without taking your hand off the mouse, but for typing large blocks of prose, obviously the fastest method of typing (i.e. two handed) would be the best.

i'm not sure how much muscle strain is involved with one-handed typing, but moving your right hand between the keys, numberpad and mouse, is probably the worst thing about data entry and similar.

On a related note, check this website out: http://play.typeracer.com/

Competitive typing game! :D

109. theres a score of 185 up there, impressive considering there is punctuation. i typed about 160wpm once which was just a heap of simple words without so much as a capital, and to do that your fingers are moving awfully fast, faster than thought.

I'm not a very fast typist, and my left eye is twitching sporadically at the moment. But still I've managed to beat a few people on that site who have "raced" more than 20,000 times, hahaha.

First place with 64wpm, lol

I average 65 - 75 wpm. Really finding it difficult to comprehend typing at double or treble that speed...

Some friends got me into typeracer in high school, it's a good way to practice use of punctuation and such when typing, as it's so rarely used in day to day internet browsing.

oh man, only 56... i'm gonna have to practice, I cant touch type either... I can half touch type.

Afff, i never use 's when writing, failed hard.