The Corroboree
Bread Filter

Police warn festival-goers over drugs

Police warn festival-goers over drugs

Police have caught 35 people with drugs in Victoria's northeast during patrols on roads leading to a NSW arts and music festival.

The large quantity of drugs was seized on Friday during Operation Strawberry Fields, which is focused on getting drug and alcohol impaired drivers off the road.

The patrols were concentrated on Victorian roads leading to the Strawberry Fields festival in Tocumwal NSW, and will continue all weekend.

"We will be particularly concentrating on those heading home from the festival on Sunday," Acting Senior Sergeant John Higgins from Cobram police said.

Drugs seized included cannabis, amphetamines, hallucinogenic drugs and ecstasy.

The 35 people found with drugs were dealt with by way of drug diversions and cautions.

One offender was summonsed to appear at court.

Acting Sen Sgt Higgins said it was disappointing to see this amount of drugs being seized.

"It is really disturbing to see young people putting themselves at risk by taking drugs at any time, and it is particularly disturbing for us to confiscate such a large amount of drugs in such a short period," he said.

He sent a warning to those heading to and from the festival.

"We will be out in force, actively targeting those who think it's okay to put theirs and other people's lives at risk by driving with drugs or alcohol in their system," he said.

NineMSN

Only one person sent to court doesnt actually sound like they caught a lot of drugs...

wasn't a bad festival and I didn't see a single cop the whole way home, mind you, I left sunday morning and most people couldn't leave sunday afternoon/night if the wanted to because of the complete lack of organization with parking and tent sites. Most of the cars were completely and utterly boxed in by tents and cars so most left on the monday from what my mates told me.