The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Stillman

Uknown Monstrose cacti

Question

I was given a cutting from some sort of monstrose cacti for my Birthday and it has taken root recently so I thought I would find out what it really is??. The mother plant was reported to be almost 2 metres tall. I am assuming it is a type of Cereus. Does anyone have an idea on the correct scientific name though?

sorry bout photos was losing light quickly when I took them.

DSCF2007.jpg

DSCF2006-1.jpg

DSCF2004-1.jpg

DSCF2001.jpg

16 answers to this question

So any ideas? I know its probably very common but I know nothing about them so would like someones opinion. My guess Cereus peruvianus does anyone agree. I repotted it and it already has an excellent root ball and some green in the growing tip I received the cutting in late October..so will look cool in a few years I recon.

So any ideas? I know its probably very common but I know nothing about them so would like someones opinion. My guess Cereus peruvianus does anyone agree. I repotted it and it already has an excellent root ball and some green in the growing tip I received the cutting in late October..so will look cool in a few years I recon.

I have one that looks just like that. I've labeled it Cereus peruvianus monstrose. Cereus peruvianus isn't a scientifically accepted name more of name given to Cereus species of unknown origin.

I just googled that and nothing came up its not some Waynes world type joke at my expense is it? asphinctorsayswhat?? lol

I just googled that and nothing came up its not some Waynes world type joke at my expense is it? asphinctorsayswhat?? lol

What....hahahaha

Nah mate it is legit. It is Werdermannianus, I missed the er. Sorry :blush:

cheers for clearing that up hahahahaha

do you have a pic of a specimen I'm having trouble finding one of a monstrose.

Cereus yes.....peruvianas no

So how is it not a peruvianus? What I mean is what should I look for to key these cacti? Does anyone know a good link to IDing Monstrose? I will have to chase down a pic of the adult plant. Its a very vigorous species what ever it is. Its loving the South East QLD Weather at the moment.

Stillman- My take on the situation is it's your plant, and you can call it & label it any darn thing you want. If it were mine ( & I've several that look just like it), I'd label it as C. peruvianus monstrose, and that would be the end of the discussion.:wink:

Hell, call it Cleo & have the one and only of its kind.:P

So how is it not a peruvianus?

Peruvianus is not an actual cultivar, it is the generic name given to all unknown Cereus species. Plants this small are next to impossible to ID, a picture of the parent would be useful. Also bear in mind that monstrose plants can bear no resemblence at all to their regular siblings, making them 10x as difficult to ID.

very interesting guys.Please excuse my ignorance.

...if peruvianus is the generic name for unknown cereus, then could someone please help me ID this beast

CPM1.JPG

CPM2.JPG

CPMcutting.JPG

Any ideas. Like was said. If zelly said its something...then that's what it is.

Stillman yours is still very interesting whatever it is.

zelly or Bongchitis any idea what this is? Ill get some big flower pics up.

Excuse the ratty garden too guys....this was November last year when I was first drawn to gardening/ethno and decided to build the beds you see in the background, which are now flourishing, as can be seen in some of my albums.

Edited by 2Deep2Handle

has much "chubbier" ribs than any of those i have heard of as peruvianus monstrose ! i actually really like it kinda looks like a big clue spikey dog turd. wanna get and send me one ? plenty to offer in relation to trade items :)

the cutting is putting on some good growth

DSCF2018.jpg

Not really helpful, but I think I can tell you it's not Cereus caesius

phoca_thumb_l_Product.JPG

the new growth is coming on exactly the same as mine, and i have mine labelled as Cereus peruvianus monstrose