The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

migraineur

Went on holiday and came back to death

So, I went on holiday to Melbourne for a week and I had some people look after some of my things. When I came back a bunch of my cacti seedlings are dead and/or dying, a cutting has died and someone put my mushrooms into fruiting conditions before they had fully colonised the substrate. I'm fucking gutted. You spend so long nurturing these things and then this happens :(

That sucks man. I don't know how they managed to kill a cutting in a week, did they overwater all of them or something? We should set up SAB contacts who will look after plants when people go away. Oh and probably an SAB support group for times like this.

The cutting might've been on it's way out anyway but the other things were not looked after properly. This is why I need a personal friend who's also into the same hobby who can look after my babies when I'm away.

Seedlings are so delicate when they're young but once they've grown up a bit the cacti are tough as nails.

Cacti are pretty tough at any age.

If they were in a takeaway container as most people use they would have been fine for at least a week (hell probly a month) & if they were big enough to be out of a takeaway container than they should be fine for even longer. Unless they were in a totaly inapropriate position.

Sometimes a little neglect is better than to much lovin.

This should be in Chill or cacti though.

Good luck with you next sowing, I'm sure we have all made mistakes.

I think they were over watered. The trays also got kicked or something which dislodged some of the seedlings and made them fall over. The sand got shifted around. This resulted in some dying.

I've lost more than 3/4 of the entire collection I'd built up over a couple of years, due to leaving them with friends who minded my house when going away a couple of times. BANGHEAD2.gif

While it sucks I think its important to remember that not many people have the same interest or knowledge of plants that many of us here do. I can be a good idea to pay someone well to look after them which makes it worth their while to spend the time and effort do care for them while you are gone.

Cant really blame someone if you just expected them to do you a favour for fee.

True. Still stings though.

Perhaps learn to douse (with a pendulum), then you can ask the plant/tree using "YES" or "NO" based questions, what it needs. ie "do you require more than 500ml water right now"

or "do you require morning sun, afternoon shade at this time?"

Also good for fertiliser/additives, aswell as correct positioning when planting in the ground from a pot.

oh, BTW my last post was in reply to Teljkon's :rolleyes:

some folks just have a black thumb I am in that group. cant seem to get shit to grow if Its not beacuse I forget to water I over water if water right I plant wrong and they get scorched in the summer. WTF. Still love learning about plants hope my moringa oloferia works out though I really need some food growing in the yard. If i cant get them started my self I may hand about a third over to a friend and let him get them started.

You should be safe with the Moringas, I've seen them germinate and then die back below ground level and then shoot back later.

Just don't start them until spring.

I've always been a green thumb but this year I stocked up on a potting mix from a local landscape supply company and planted a lot of plants in it and they all struggled. It turned out to be PH 9 and after being watered a few times it wasn't much more than sandy crap with poor drainage, it had been excellent until this latest batch and now it has left me looking like a rank amateur.

But really if you see a plant struggling you should do something about it, at least investigate. Stick your finger in the soil to test the moisture level, check the PH or move it to a more suitable part of the yard or house. Most plants don't just Kark it overnight, they scream out for help for weeks or months but many people just don't listen.

Perhaps learn to douse (with a pendulum), then you can ask the plant/tree using "YES" or "NO" based questions, what it needs. ie "do you require more than 500ml water right now"

or "do you require morning sun, afternoon shade at this time?"

Also good for fertiliser/additives, aswell as correct positioning when planting in the ground from a pot.

or you could just learn how to care for your plants and teach your friends to do so as well?

seems like it might work a bit better than attempting to communicate with your cacti using a moving metal rod....

or you could just learn how to care for your plants and teach your friends to do so as well?

seems like it might work a bit better than attempting to communicate with your cacti using a moving metal rod....

like i said in this thread, the dousing post was in reply to Teljkons post saying he was "in the black thumb group" & kept fucking his plants up, but

still loves having and learning about them. It wasnt in reply to migraineurs post about his friends killing his cactus while he was away.

Dousing as a form of communication with plants is just another tool, not an alternative to learning how to care for them in the mainstream way, and

like i said, it involves using a pendulum (small object on the end of a peice of string), not some moving metal rod thing- i reckon youre thinking of water divining.

anyway, i totally agree with you- the bottom line is learning how to take care of your plants & passing that on to others.

have a great year.

Using a rod is dowsing.

Water divining is dowsing.

Dowsing is not real.

yeah its all divining of one sort or another. Dousing is the term generally used to describe the tapping into of different

earth energies using a suspended pendulum. Divining is usually used to describe using one or two metal rods or sometimes

forked sticks/rods to find underground water. this is probably interchangeable depending on who you talk to and where you are

Dowsing is not real.

I completely agree with and support your right to believe anything you want to, as i would expect the same back from any one else, but

i have a question for you. Have you tried it, or are you summarily dismissing it because..............? (eg. your an hydrologist/geologist

and it is an affront to your science)

Observing, reading & interacting with the miriad of subtle earth & plant energies that surround us is a practise

as old as humanity (and shamanism) itself. Without the old-timers using their water divining tools, a lot of the semi arid

areas of this country would never have been able to be openned up to grazing (not necessarily saying this was a good thing).

Dowsing is not real.

LOL, excellent delivery.

i'm sorry lokstok, i hope we didn't hurt your feelings.

btw chilli, i am pretty sure dowsing is a real thing that people do actually do...it just has questionable efficacy and basis. but hey, who knows? i still think it's pretty silly though to be honest :P

Have you tried it, or are you summarily dismissing it because..............? (eg. your an hydrologist/geologist

and it is an affront to your science)

Haven't tried it personally, but I have read enough about it (and seen documentaries on it) to know that there is zero scientific evidence that it is any different from chance (not "my" science, just science!).

Watched the discomfited looks of surprise and disbelief on the faces of the dowsers (with rods) who were faced with this evidence, and then watched as they began to explain it away and make rationalizations that allowed them to maintain their beliefs despite the evidence against them.

But we all have our comforting delusions, for instance I find the experience of synchronicity fascinating and mystical despite the fact that i can come up with rational, materialistic ways of explaining it.

i'm sorry lokstok, i hope we didn't hurt your feelings.

No! (*muffled sob*)

Actually Frank i got a laugh from Chillis "Dowsing is not real" post on the 2nd reading- it sounded

in my head like the robots voice from that old series Lost in Space. (no bad intended Chilli, he was

an excellent robot).

I find the experience of synchronicity fascinating and mystical despite the fact that i can come up with rational, materialistic ways of explaining it.

Yeah i get that. My thing has always been 'cause & affect, cause & affect. If something happens then there is a logical preceding action or actions that produced it.

Back in 1994 i went to a talk about earth energies with a girl. I wasnt into earth energies at all, or anything of that nature, but i was into her. Anyway something about

using copper wire to divert some weird energy to combat bug problems on vegetables pricked my interest- i was studying & working at Permaculture at the time.

Led to doing my own experiments, inconclusive results, led to workshop in reading earth & plant energies just for the hell of it (+ another attempt at impressing said chick ).

The oneday WS was all to do with pendulum dousing which i remember thinking was kind of immature. Like a suspended gold ring thing over a pregnant girls stomach to find out the

babies sex- ridiculous girls stuff.

And it then proceeded to fuck-up my whole neat cause & affect take on things because it seemed to work and I didnt know why and five years later after reading everything i could about it,

studying fengshui through the Australian School of Macrobiotics, beginners course on Kinesiology, more courses dousing with a Sri Lankan based practitioner, and numerous experiments & trials, I still didn't. And dont!

Got a lot of great other stuff during that time, expanded enormously one way or another

I did do some water divining trialls with wire rods on the edge of the great Sandy Desert with mixed success, but I thought i was able to explain that phenomenon through the

existence of a vertical bandlike energy field that seemed to rise straight up from water moving past a certain speed. Anyway, seemed logical- cause & affect right, but didnt provide any answers

for the pendulum thing.

One of the things that my obsessive research showed me was that just about all the ancient cultures/civilisations/peoples new about and used these energies- aztecs, gauls, the druids, mayans, egyptians,

aboriginies, american indians, kmer, mbuti, chinese dynasties.

So anyway, now, I hardly use it (pendulum dousing) at all, very rarely share about it (impulsive spur of the moment forum postings excepted), but cant deny it exists in reality for me. Its kind of sits almost comfortably

next to my bigger louder dominant 'cause & effect'-insistent self.

And i still dont know why it works.

this is my last post about this.

ps. got the girl :lol:

Using a rod is dowsing.

Water divining is dowsing.

Dowsing is not real.

This is a blanket statement. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of the road, like most things.

I believe ayahuasca as a combination of chemicals that unlock each other out of thousands of possible plant combinations (MAOI activated oral DMT) was learned from the plants themselves according to traditional shamans. Similar techniques or themes would almost be a baseline recurring theme amongst ethnobotany I would presume?

I would further guess that you would say entities contacted in altered states have no external validity/existance? I don't know either way, but I am pretty sure you don't either.

I feel that your statement is in opposition to a lot of things we have 'learnt from plants'.

ive been grafting sickly looking cacti seeds that have had to much sun and neglect trying to save them...some take to the graft some dont this may be way of saving some mate...worked for me...

This is a blanket statement. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of the road, like most things.

I believe ayahuasca as a combination of chemicals that unlock each other out of thousands of possible plant combinations (MAOI activated oral DMT) was learned from the plants themselves according to traditional shamans. Similar techniques or themes would almost be a baseline recurring theme amongst ethnobotany I would presume?

I would further guess that you would say entities contacted in altered states have no external validity/existance? I don't know either way, but I am pretty sure you don't either.

I feel that your statement is in opposition to a lot of things we have 'learnt from plants'.

It is a blanket statement, it was meant to be. I have no qualms about making such a blanket statement because the scientific evidence supports it very strongly.

I have no idea whether entities and elves and aliens are real.. I don't think they exist in the physical world if that is what you mean by "external validity/existence".

Like you say, neither of us knows either way and we probably never will. The reason for this is because such things occur inside the mind as a subjective experience and not in the physical realm (although it could be argued the mind is a result of physical processes), and are therefore not able to be empirically tested and therefore unable to be known for certain, the same goes for god/s or any supernatural beings.

My personal belief is that entities exist as some kind of archetypal interface between the conscious and unconscious realms of the human mind. The only time I have seen entities is in dreams, and these have been very profound, but I do believe they are happening in my mind, but also that this doesn't make them any less real, just not physically real and therefore not empirically testable. They are still "real" for me and have been very life changing.

But this is a different question to dowsing, which can be and has been scientifically tested and the results repeatedly shown to be no different from chance. Dowsing is not unfalsifiable like entities or gods, it can and has been shown to be no different from chance and therefore wrong, despite the earnestness of people who believe in its powers.

As mentioned, I have a special interest in synchronicity and have had some very mystical experiences resulting from it that have amazed and astounded me, but I can still see that they can be explained as a combination of apophenia, the law of very large numbers, various memory biases and cryptomnesia. Still, when I am in the zone it can feel very real and profound and mystical. I think dowsing and entity contact is similar.

excellent reasoning. our own experience is real, all of it.

i have seen dowsing work, and also fail. i have heard of an example of a white crow, once you have seen one white crow you know they exist, you don't need to see more.

go to dojopsi.com -> ten thousand roads, it is a remote viewing training site. check out the work of 'revsdrag'. this is a major reason as to why i now believe anything is possible and no one is really qualified in any serious way to know anything for sure :) (revsdrag isn't me, but I do practice there and have amazing success, i don't know how it works)

i think our egos are seperate and our 'subconcious' is one... without really knowing how it works. i think dowsing might be a method of bypassing our ego and accessing this sub-egoic unity of all information... the source or field.

and as a disclaimer i don't know if dowsing works or not, i know almost nothing about dowsing. i just know remote viewing works, and if that works then ANYTHING is possible and even probable.

also, your belief becomes reality (to you). choose wisely :)

ps. great chatting to you this morning...