The Corroboree
Quetzalt

Duboisia hopwoodii

Hi there, after just seeing Poisonshroom's Amazing Grow Log (can't beleive I missed it), I thought I would share my progress with Ferret's S. Hopwoodii seeds.

Well, nothing like poisonshroom's but anyhow:

I started in March with about only 8 seed (a couple got crush in the mail).

2000ppm GA (didn't dissolve properly though) 24hr

can't remember where, but I read somewhere they like sand and grow deep roots, it seemed like that from the photos I saw of their habitat. So, I planted them 5mm in 15cm sand gradually mixed with regular soil (sand on top and soil at the bottom, all previously sterilised in the microwave and put in half 5Lt wather bottle with a plastic bag on top).

I thought I had messed up the whole process, The GA was strange, watering the sand feeled strange... But I just leaved it in the green house under fluorescent lights.

In may, I was happy, I noticed that one had poped up and the seed coat had fallen... but the whole thing was too humid and when I came back from a 3 days trip it had dyied :devil: , I wanted to blame my wife :P:angry:

Well, I didn't loose hope so, I left it almost unatended and at the begining of october I had another one pop.

post-9414-0-27237100-1321448273_thumb.jp

post-9414-0-64697600-1321448334_thumb.jp

post-9414-0-84032000-1321448358_thumb.jp

I've been carefull not to water it too much, but the growing process is very slow (Is it due to the Fluo lights?). Last week I was happy to see that another one woke up... So I can't complain with almost 50% germination.

post-9414-0-96342900-1321448411_thumb.jp

We'll see if they make it through...

That'it for now, any help/ sugestion will be appreciated.

post-9414-0-27237100-1321448273_thumb.jpg

post-9414-0-64697600-1321448334_thumb.jpg

post-9414-0-84032000-1321448358_thumb.jpg

post-9414-0-96342900-1321448411_thumb.jpg

post-9414-0-27237100-1321448273_thumb.jpg

post-9414-0-64697600-1321448334_thumb.jpg

post-9414-0-84032000-1321448358_thumb.jpg

post-9414-0-96342900-1321448411_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

congrats Quetzalt, good work. I planted my second batch of seeds a couple of weeks ago, did not have much success first time round. Are you keeping them indoors under fluoro's over winter? What kind of minumum temperature do you get where you are? I imagine they would do better growing in the sun but that may not be possible where you are?

Anyway good luck with those babies, and keep us updated...

Yes I've had them under fluo all the time... I tend to wait for a couple of inches growth before they go to the green house balcony and I try to get 2/ 3 of each species before adventuring to the garden. Summer up to 30º/ 35º and winter down to 10º/ 5º/ 3º. I'm not sure of the ideal parameters for D.H.

Wow awesome to see quetzalt :drool2: Never thought I'd see them growing in Europe! So far it seems like once they have a couple of leaves (true leaves) they are quite hardy. As I mentioned, mine get almost daily water, and where I live its fairly humid for a lot of the year, and they seem to cope well and grow fast.

Id say in a month or so theyll be right to go out into the greenhouse. Also when you repot them you may want to mix the sand with soil, because sand can sometimes form a waterproof crust. Your right about the deep roots (I think T mentioned that actually), and those deep roots are for getting down to the watertable under the dunes, so Id say they can handle a decent amount of water despite being a desert plant.

Ill probably post an update on mine in the next few days. Thanks for sharing your success =]

I see that herbalistics has both pituri and galbulimima I would be interesting to carry out experiments on these plants

Edited by opiumfreak

Hey guys I have been looking for these seeds for awhile now. Does anyone know where I can find them for sale or can someone please trade with me or let me buy some from you?

I know herbalistics use to sell them but they are currently out of stock. I had successful germination using 1700ppm and had about 6 seeds germinate but I only kept 1 plant from those seedlings. I had it for almost a year but it was raining so much here in Florida in the summer. It got some fungal disease along with probably too much water and it died.

I wish someone could help me get more seeds. I still have GA left over. Please send me a pm whenever you read this!

Sorry, can't help you with seeds but I'm sure someone will be able to.

My plant is doing great, I'll update a pic when I have the time.

Hi, My Pituri was doing fine until a couple of days ago when my dog cut it in half :BANGHEAD2:

I'm left with a leafless 15 cm bit in the vase and a 20 cm tip with some leaves (I'v removed the bottom ones), which I've put in a glass of water (check pic). Can I do anything to help it's survival or is it condemned? Can I expect the tip to root in the water (would rooting hormone help?) ? Thanks for the help.

post-9414-0-32845900-1345821584_thumb.jp

post-9414-0-32845900-1345821584_thumb.jpg

post-9414-0-32845900-1345821584_thumb.jpg

Is there a bit still in the ground with roots? It may shoot back from the 'stump'. Im not sure about cuttings though - I dont think they'll strike somehow.

All my pituri died at the end of summer after a long battle with the high humidity :ana: I have more seed though, so I'll be trying again next year when it starts to cool down again or if I get more GA-3, asap and see if some are survive summer.

Well good luck, GA-3 seems to do the job nicely.

Yes the roots are intact, so I'll cross fingers...

Hmm. It'll be interesting to see if I can grow mine from seed in Brisbane...hadn't thought about humidity being a problem.

I'm getting some GA3, but I'm also curious to see if cold stratification will work. Anybody have experience with that?

Darren from Herbalistics is in SE QLD, which is where some of my seed has come from. He has a few plants plus some hybrid D. hopwoodii x myoporoides, which I think are in the ground somewhere, so its obviously not impossible, but yea humidity was a big problem for me. I got mine to sprout early winter i think, and the day and night temperature were pretty far apart (Id say they respond to that in a similar way to a lot of succulent seeds, which germinate best with lots of temperature fluctuation), but i think humidity in winter here is still up around the 60-70% mark. Taking them inside on rainy or excessively humid days might work or putting them somewhere that gets a good breeze at least.

I dont think germinating is the problem though - its keeping the buggers alive. Also I'd suggest a deep pot - they have a tap root

Hmmm. I think I might just pass on this one. My seed is also from Darren, but tbh I think if you're gonna put a lot of care into a plant, then it has to be something you really dig...pituri is more of a novelty thing for me.

Although I'm sure some of the other Brisbanians will be happy to take them off my hands at the next meet :)

Duboisia hopwoodii:

aaeuro.jpg

Duboisia hopwoodii- seed- 24-fold:

wksc94.jpg

Duboisia hopwoodii- seed- 55-fold:

ypjpt.jpg

Duboisia myoporoides:

2u4rcit.jpg

• Like 1