The Corroboree
Bongchitis

Culantro

G'Day all,

I love Corriander leaf for salads etc and have tried to grow it for the past 10 years with alot of effort and heartache as it seems to bolt to seed very quickly. I have fertilised, watered, thinned out, shaded, staggered multiple plots etc etc and it is getting to the point of deminishing return. :BANGHEAD2:

I came across a plant called Culantro (not cilantro) that is widely used in Asia and South America that is touted as Perenial Corriander (many synonyms) that tastes almost identical to but a little stronger than its brother from a different mother.

I have read shit loads about it but no 1st hand account of flavour and ease of growth sooooooo

Anyone have any experience with this herb? Growth tips etc.

All 1st hand info would be much appreciated. :worship:

Cheers and thanks..........Bong

Edited by Bongchitis

I've not grown it, though would like to. I have tasted it and can confirm it's very much like a stronger version of coriander.

Wow. I love cilantro, but never heard of culantro. Sounds very interesting. Thanks for posting about it.

u do know corriander is a winter veg bong? It will bolt to seed with too much heat.

u do know corriander is a winter veg bong? It will bolt to seed with too much heat.

Yeah I know but how many salads do you have in winter? I know I am wanting the plant to be something that its not and that is why I was looking for an alternative.....just seeing how far I could push the envelope and have realised no matter how good a gardener I can learn to be, I will not achieve my summer goal with it without alot of space and effort. Slow learner I guess. Culantro is said to be far more heat tolerant, I will find out when the seeds arrive.

I've not grown it, though would like to. I have tasted it and can confirm it's very much like a stronger version of coriander.

You want some seed Tripsis? I am getting 100, don't need that many!

For sure! Though see how they go for you first. They might have a low germ rate, in which case maybe you would need 100.

Ergyngium foetidum is definitely heat tolerant. I tried it while I was in southern India, in a climate which is quite tropical.

For sure! Though see how they go for you first. They might have a low germ rate, in which case maybe you would need 100.

Ergyngium foetidum is definitely heat tolerant. I tried it while I was in southern India, in a climate which is quite tropical.

I have read that germ rates are lowish ~50% so I will try 50 first and once I have plants I will let them go to seed and I will be sweet. I will PM you when I am confident I have enough or I will update here and you can remind me.

No worries, good luck with them. :)

I'm pretty sure i sent you some E foetidum seed Tripsis.

If not i always have tons, they seed like mad for 8 months of the year.

I think you did too, but I have no idea where I placed it. :blush:

I'm pretty sure i sent you some E foetidum seed Tripsis.

If not i always have tons, they seed like mad for 8 months of the year.

How do they go for you shortly?.... in terms of Corriander flavour sub, ease of growth and amount of vegetative growth whilst flowering for so long?

Irie,

E foetidum a weed round here!

We use it a lot in medicinal teas for the kids. Had last night tea with in.

We use the whole plant including roots with a little soil still on it, boil up with various other herbs.

A strong distinct flavor.

Will grow like a weed, sometimes in cracks in the concrete.

Respect,

Z

If my patch were wetter it probably could be a weed here as well.

Its flavour is very similar to coriander only X5 or maybe X10.

The amount of leaf growth is reduced with the flowering but then you only need 1 fifth as much foetidum in a pot compared to coriander, she be strong stuff.

And beware the sharp leaf edges, & the flowers are lethal, a thousand tiny bleeding paper cuts when you try to weed.

Top little plant in the subtropics though, as long as it gets some moisture & a little shade, just set & forget.

it is really course and prickly but tastes like coriander and very pungent, I have seen it at bunnings labelled perennial coriander. Personally I prefer real Coriander but it is good to have if you can't get the real stuff.

it is really course and prickly but tastes like coriander and very pungent, I have seen it at bunnings labelled perennial coriander. Personally I prefer real Coriander but it is good to have if you can't get the real stuff.

Bunoirs.....Really? I pay rent at my local green shed and haven't seen it there but I haven't been looking either. B)

Coarse and prickly seem to be the consensus too. Might have to cut off the serated margins and chop really fine for a salad then but thats alright I can practice my knife skills, or lack thereof.

Cheers.

Wild grown culantro is a fairly prickly. What I can buy in stores isn't too bad. I like it better as a coriander replacement in dishes where it is cooked like soup, stews, and beans. I find its flavor holds up a bit better to the heat than cilantro.

I don't know how much merit this has, but I was told that culantro originated in the Americas whilst cilantro is endemic to Asia, but interestingly enough the cultural preferences have swapped with Asians preferring culantro and Latin American preferring cilantro.

Fun Fact: I saw the flowers of this plant being used by a shaman in Peru for the flower bath before taking aya that is meant to help cleanse and prepare you.

• Like 1

i assume u know of vietnameese mint/corriander AKA laksa leaf?

http://www.renaissanceherbs.com.au/store/show/LAKSA-LEAF

Cool! I have grown vietnamese mint before, the leaf shape was similar but had a purple inner to the leaf and didn't really taste like corriander to be honest. I'm not certain that what I grew and tasted is the same as you have posted so google here I come.

Cheers mate.

nah, thats just a crap picture, it normally does have a purple inner centre. It is worth growing even if u are not happy with it as a corriander substitute, it's still a great herb for many asian dishes.