The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

Just grafted 4 lophophora seedlings to one pereskiopsis :) has anyone here attempted this before? post-1330-0-93217300-1358582078_thumb.jp

post-1330-0-93217300-1358582078_thumb.jpg

post-1330-0-93217300-1358582078_thumb.jpg

Edited by mushroomman
  • Like 3

Inspected the damage from last weeks heatwave, even old established plants took a beating and some newly planted ones are likely toast.

Old M. geometrizans, will keep on going but might get some scar tissue over time.

IMG_0300.jpg

New planted O. celcianus, it's toast for sure.

IMG_0294.jpg

• Like 1

No @mushroomman but I intend to try soon, I'll be overflowing with loph and trich seedlings soon, need a space efficient way to graft them!

Today and yesterday I leisurely potted some trich cuttings and added a dragon fruit to the family :) The "normal" garden has sucked my attention this weekend.

GH

re-potting re-arranging re-potting re-arranging re-potting re-arranging re-potting re-arranging

I had a matucana flower!?! aren't they supposed to flower in early spring [northern hemisphere] ? maybe the gh had the plants tricked into an early spring or what?

P1090225.jpg

varius degrees of success with mandrakes

it hard to determine if a root died or it's gonna sprout, so I am not sure if I did well to undig them [for fear of them rotting] . you can see an undug root which is sprouting - I re- burried this, and plants that seem to have survived the transplant and be growing. The harvesting of them was done mid November.

P1090222.jpg

P1090223.jpg

P1090224.jpg

P1090221.jpg

and some real cacti

P1090227.jpg

P1090219.jpg

^^^^^^^^

Harissia

P1090226.jpg
fresh and freshly repotted grafts. only the Copiapoa hypgea and Lopho on selini, down right, are a bit older

PS: [edit] is this harrissia supposed to be self-fertile?

Edited by mutant
  • Like 9

went outside and saw a new pup on a cut i put in the ground about a year ago, finally :rolleyes:

also inspected some new little roots on the top which i cut off the afore mentioned cut.

bishops cap is finally secure in the soil after emergency surgery saw the entire root system cut off due to rot (screw you bunnings)

sausage plant is recovering nicely after being scorched (and subsequently being shifted to shadier surrounds)

• Like 1

A couple weeks ago I attempted a cross on Lobivia arachnacantha sulphurea (yellow) x Lobivia "fire truck" (purple).

Collected the seed today, could produce some interesting hybrids. Also attempted a cross on (A asteriasx A caperacorne) x Super kabuto fingers crossed on that one.

• Like 5

Well not exactly today, but I did a few more grafts the other day.. and prepared the tips for more grafts

and by the end of today I am planning to harvest even more pereskie tips so I can be prepared for rounds 3 and 4...

and 5, and 6 and so on...

Its safe to say im a graftophile now

I also ordered some new seeds after being inspired by KT's Browningia Post, and I also picked up a couple packs of

some others I've been eyeballing for a while

So over the weekend I ordered some of these beans:
*Browningia Candelaris

*Browningia Hertlingiana

*Turbinicarpus Lophophoroides

*Ariocarpus Confusus

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 2

took a few pics of my Bridgesii Achuma X Pachanoi Juul's (SS) seedlings, sown 11.sep.12.

post-11286-0-94904400-1358798486_thumb.j

post-11286-0-88611700-1358798492_thumb.j

post-11286-0-52690800-1358798500_thumb.j

post-11286-0-27720000-1358798507_thumb.j

post-11286-0-94904400-1358798486_thumb.jpg

post-11286-0-88611700-1358798492_thumb.jpg

post-11286-0-52690800-1358798500_thumb.jpg

post-11286-0-27720000-1358798507_thumb.jpg

post-11286-0-94904400-1358798486_thumb.jpg

post-11286-0-88611700-1358798492_thumb.jpg

post-11286-0-52690800-1358798500_thumb.jpg

post-11286-0-27720000-1358798507_thumb.jpg

Edited by slice
  • Like 6

Lookin good Slice!!

This wasn't today, but a couple of days ago i got my first light and set up a little-cactus-land in my bedroom window.

To maximise of the output of one lightbulb i positioned a mirror to reflect the light back onto the plants.

I also moved my silly little heatpad into my room with my peres grafts and my latest seedlings.

post-8023-0-57917700-1358823975_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-10217400-1358823995_thumb.jp

I must have rearranged these little guys non-stop for over an hour.

It gave me intense flashbacks to a school fair when i was about 5 or 6 and i got to do this activity where you made a miniature nature scenario with sand, stones, flowers and leaves, i made little mountains and forests with rivers of blue pebbles and little toy animals frolicking between the giant flowers :)

Here's my ariocarpus fissuratus x ariocarpus lloydii graft, still looking realtively promising.

post-8023-0-20245700-1358824316_thumb.jp

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 9

I dug more tree stumps... and it feels like my arms are going to fall off, and my wrist (which I hurt a couple of years ago) is soooooo stiff and sore. I think I'll take some photos of it so that you can see before and after shots. :)

• Like 2

Started repotting a whole heap of plants that were well overdue, either underpotted or still in the original pots/soil I bought them in....and were all of a sudden faced with major losses! :BANGHEAD2: Atleast 20 plants were compost material from either root or stem rot and another handful were either totally missing roots or had pitiful root systems.

Going to try and re-root the ones that lost their roots, right now sitting bedded down on a thin layer of cource dry sand sprikled ontop of my regular mix. Others that I had to take a hose to in order to get the soil cleaned off healty root systems, flower power plants seem to be in excellent soil, are now drying out pending repotting.

DSC00209-1.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Snowfella, what do you suspect was the cause for the root- and stemrot outbreak? Not enough airflow, slugs, root mealies, fungal? Its rare that so many cacti are affected at once. Could have been a fungal infection jumping from plant to plant.

Well, nearly all the losses were plants still in original plastic pots and original rich soil so I'm guessing that would be the main culprit. Think the soil they originally come in just dry to slowly, seem to work alright at the nursery they come from but out of a hothouse environment I doubt it dries out fast enough.

Funny thing though is that all the pots were bone dry and I'm careful about watering, to the point that I likely underwater everything so I wasn't expecting rot.

Still no guarantee it isn't something else though, still to new to growing cacti to really tell. Just means I have to chalk it down to a learning experience I guess....plus now I can acctually fit my plants on the benches rather than have some standing on the ground. :blush:

That sucks to hear man. :(

I don't understand those ones too well either. I put some outside in original soil (and some died), and I put some outside in organic soil (and some died). But definitely, I found that overwatering was the cause of most, if not all of my Mammillarias that died.

Or maybe you had the sweet little outbreak monkey from the movie somewhere near them. ;-) Just kidding, its a shame that these big Plant nurseries dont know that the nutrient rich humous containing soil is pretty much fertilizing them to death. Made the same experience with plants i bought from stores like that.

I'm not sure if it's because they don't know - or they just want your plants to die so you have to come back. :P

• Like 2

I'd almost bet on the monkey!

Least most was plants that are easy to find again if I were inclined to try them again. Think I junked my 3rd M. prolifera and E. nivosus today, just can't keep those 2 alive it seems! lol Bit miffed over a crested E. chamacereus but can't say I'm having much luck with them either lately.

Edited by Snowfella

Almost lost some Chamaecereus this year too because they were needing a lot more water than the other cacti nearby. But when i realised it, they recovered. The ones i put into high and moist grass look the best. Seems they thrive under moister conditions.

Lost a few Mammillarias from the collection i bought too this year. Some of them were so infected with root mealies that the started getting root rot. Will definately not buy a collection of that size without checking for root mealies again. You know, it was 25 m² and it costs a small fortune to treat them all with insecticides.

Still haven't come across a case of root mealies here that I know of, plenty of regular mealies around the neck of plants but nothing down by the roots.

Also dumped one today that I just couldn't get growing right, bought a small M. rhodanatha about 2 years back and for some reason it desided to go columar on me even if it sat in full sun. :unsure: Kept it around for giggles untill it got absolutely burnt to a crisp during our heatwave last week.

Last photo I got of it looked like this.

DSC00367.jpg

• Like 3

hey

most of the times mass losses are due to overwatering.

we all have made it, well I know I have done this couple of times.

its due to my cultivation style, I know, but you know I killed 5-6 Stenocacti, until I was convinced to not leave them at the roof under rain after end october [start of automn], now I treat them like true cacti with a non-water /limited water winter period.

most of the times, hurrying cacti will increase the loss rate. you can avoid this by splitting your plant to hardy and 'true cacti' .

hardy plants will take a hurried approach with no losses or limeted losses.

its matter of choice, accept the loss and go for the increased growth rate, or stay traditional and conservative, and limit the loss to a minimum.

I choose the active , first take.

but those that are reported to have special needs, quite often its no mythL you do have to compy to keep them happy

Chameocereus f.e., have a tendency both to loos roots and rot from over watering .

Some mammilarias are particularly sensitive, while others, most - are pretty water hardy in normal temps

the best indicator if you dont know what kind of plant you have is the speed of growth, if its slow, go with the slow approach and try to determine when the rest period is , when its some strange succulent, euphorbia or chilean cactus genus...

but hey

you can treat the Trichocerei as bas as you want, and still have trouble killing them

PS: Today I took measures to make another shelf in the GH

Edited by mutant
  • Like 1

I had one instance where I was careless pouring water in the pot and most of the perlite floated.. leaving behind a more moist soil that didn't dry out as quick.. I didn't lose that plant but it recovered from some nasty spots... actually this happened on more than one plant til I figured out I need to be more careful watering so I made bottles that don't shoot a thick stream of water

Best of luck re rooting them! I have been able to save some little trichos by grafting and re rooting... aerole grafting is an idea too

so for seedlings Im going with sandy soil from now on.. its heavy enough to stay put until I can afford some zeolite or something..

Edited by Spine Collector

booo, i have a bridgessi mother rotting 3 of 4 arms :angry: and a scale outbreak from hell! :angry::angry:

Just admired them and praised them for their all their efforts today:

Variegated brevispinulosus x juuls x peru graft, 4 days in. This one drove me mad. I was trying to graft with a hair tie and it kept pinging my seedling across the room. I had to recut like 6 times :angry:

Warehouse peru, seems to have enjoyed it's recent repot

Misc peru, looking very fine indeed

Werdermanius(?)

Noticed this slug who has impailed itself on my terscheckii. This is one cactus who can really stand up for itself huh?

And spotted a pup on this wee SS02 x bridgesii seedling i brought from Bit a while back

• Like 4

Wow I had no idea they can pup at that size??? Sweet... that is a beaut!

Bogfrog, I hafta admit from your previous post, that you have out Zen'd the hella outta my window garden... Here I was all proud and shit

and now i'd be ashamed to post a pic of it here lolololol

Nice Plants! That's an impressive garden you got B)

• Like 1