The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

Still debating if I should water or not as it's less than a week since I planted them out. Any damage to the roots would still be open and could potentially cause rot.

Might turn on the sprinklers for a few minutes after sundown to give the bed a gentle soak.

• Like 1

More shade for the cacti, not as organised or pretty as Getafix's sollution but it should take the bite out of the afternoon sun. Insect screen gives about 30% block.

a>

Still worried what the soil temp will do to the roots, recorded 64C when it was clear blue skies the other day. With today's patchy clouds it's a tad less on the surface.

a>

Looks good mate.Mine had to look pretty otherwise it would have been a hard sell to my other half!!

• Like 2

I didn't even consult her, my cacti patch my choice ;)

Though she knows that if I scorch these to death I'll just have to buy new ones! Lol

• Like 3

Just "Welcome to my garden", guess the wife couldn't find a "Welcome to the insanity" sign!

• Like 4

Snowfella, I watered my latest repot batch in as soon as I was done, and another today due to 45C temps. So that's twice in a weak, should I be worried about rot etc? I have never experienced it before but your post has me double guessing and worried hahaha

• Like 1

Snowfella, I watered my latest repot batch in as soon as I was done, and another today due to 45C temps. So that's twice in a weak, should I be worried about rot etc? I have never experienced it before but your post has me double guessing and worried hahaha

Mate, I have watered every cactus I have ever had straight after repotting and regularly after that. Though this may have been out of ignorance as I never considered there could be an issue with damaged root systems being susceptible to rot I have also never lost a plant to rot.

Snowfella is probably correct but I wouldn't be worrying it about especially in these temps. I have recently planted out a 100 or so cacti in the garden and have been watering hard, they are doing great but I may take Snowfellas method onboard in the future.

What does everyone else do as far as watering or not watering after replanting/repotting?

Edited by Getafix
  • Like 2

Thanks getafix, yeh that's what I do, never lost one either. The ones in question aren't in the picture I posted and receive full sun so I doubt any fungal issues.

But it is a good point to consider if repotting damaged or root damaged plants, makes a lot of sense.

I'm going to bite the bullet here and water mine as soon as the sun has set, don't want to do it while it's still blazing away on the new bed. Everything in pots got a soak the other day.

Never really watered cacti in after repotting, usually leave them a week or so for any root damage to heal before I water them just to be on the safe side. So I can't really say if it's a good or bad thing, it's just what I've read and been recommended through other forums.

• Like 3

its a good idea to NOT water at once and wait at least a few days when transplanting, especially if the cactus is a slowgrower and/or there is some kind of stress involved in the repotting and/or the roots/rootball is wet when transplanting.

This having been said, its usually pretty safe to do otherwise with cacti that are water tolerant, especially during the growing period in wark weather , or , in the occasion of columnars and especially Trichocereus, which are virtually impossible to kill, it's pretty safe to do this all the time. Unless there's very little roots, one need not wait between waterings

• Like 2

^^ This is how I deal with mine as well. Slow growers / tap root plants I always am a lot more strict with when they get water so basicly any cacti that I have on a water diet I withhold water when potted up. My trich's never get watered in but they just go out with the rest and get a drink the next time I water.

All of my cacti are in very free draining mixes.

Cheers

Got

I had a heartbreaking moment with my 11 year old ariocarpus kotschobeyanus elephantidens, it had been looking sick for some time so i decided an emergency graft was in order. I prepared my stock and then cut through the ariocarpus to discover that it was entirely rotten inside. I cut further up and this was just as bad so i thought aereole graft and began pulling it to pieces, turbecule by turbecule and every last little piece was rotten :( :( :(

I feel so bad i only got this plant a year ago, poor little ario.

• Like 1

bogfrog that is sad, such an old slowing growing plant.

Nice little Adenium flower finally opened, has a bit of purple in the centre but will have to see how it fades over the next couple days.

DSCF2004_zps2f2ae221.jpg

• Like 5

I would check the roots on that one that is throwing out all of those root buds. One or two you can understand in high humidity but that many is telling me it has a problem with its root system.

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

awesome variagata opuntia

awesome variagata opuntia

you should see mine.... ill take a photo soon :)

maybe ill take a pic tomorrow

I mixed up a batch potting mix and potted up a container of Peru seedlings my gf knocked off my window ceal , grafted a small pup off my hamiltons peru crest, took some peres cuttings and hit my validus flower with some scop pollin.

• Like 3

post-7916-0-05895300-1357960347_thumb.jp

post-7916-0-05895300-1357960347_thumb.jpg

post-7916-0-05895300-1357960347_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My first seedling grafts! 1 is an albino Spachianus! 1 is Pc Pach x SS02/SS01 looking maybe a little wierdo...

A couple of Ariocarpus Fissuaratus, 2 ValidxLJ, another PC/SS and a Werdermannianus I hope lol

This was from my first sew ever! 12-12-12 :scratchhead: I am feeling very luck atm :innocent_n:

Funny thing was I didn't recognize the wierdness til I looked at the pic! What a surprise! Hope they all take in any case

instead of me giving them good vibes, they gave me good vibes! @ stoked. I feel really good about most of them being centered right.. one I had to recut but looked okay

post-11432-0-76418500-1357962438_thumb.j post-11432-0-07552400-1357962453_thumb.j

post-11432-0-51272900-1357962607_thumb.j post-11432-0-72958300-1357962629_thumb.j

post-11432-0-76418500-1357962438_thumb.jpg

post-11432-0-07552400-1357962453_thumb.jpg

post-11432-0-51272900-1357962607_thumb.jpg

post-11432-0-72958300-1357962629_thumb.jpg

post-11432-0-76418500-1357962438_thumb.jpg

post-11432-0-07552400-1357962453_thumb.jpg

post-11432-0-51272900-1357962607_thumb.jpg

post-11432-0-72958300-1357962629_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 3