The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

: ) thanks, glad you like them too

thanks for the explanation also , that makes sense.... maybe it will fall off again eventually and get glued back on again : ]

• Like 1

AWESOME! I've been after knuthianus for ages just to know what one looks like ! thanks :D

I might already have a better camera that isnt as nice to use somewhere down the bottom of the garden (if it survived winter : / )

-later edit - it turned out to be a pachanoi monstruose but still has the knuthianus type ridging which is exquisite

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

Moved around a dozen or so pots of seedlings out of the propagation box and into the greenhouse. Most with 20+ per pot. Starting to amass needed supplies to make heaps of potting mix for the massive repot adventure to come. Peruvian cola(Peru x scop) post-13498-0-86768500-1394732374_thumb.j seedling boxpost-13498-0-45350100-1394732550_thumb.j

post-13498-0-86768500-1394732374_thumb.jpg

post-13498-0-45350100-1394732550_thumb.jpg

post-13498-0-86768500-1394732374_thumb.jpg

post-13498-0-45350100-1394732550_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That's amazing that the myrtillocactus is flower being that small. Awesome dude!! Do you know if they're self fertile? And you gotta try eating the berries ;)

well its a rooted cutting so im sure thats why it still flowered being so small. im not sure about fertility. im not even sure how to get pollen and make seeds for my cactus yet . i need to learn this!

Go to the trading section and ask for myrtillocactus pollen. You could even ask for stenocereus pollen, I've heard of stenocereus/myrtillocactus hybrids in the past. That'd be awesome if you crossed them.

Was that cutting budding when it was cut?

Cool plants. I'm kind of confused about what you mean by "growing the areole" I don't think that putting the areole back on would do anything. Anyways, you'd have to offset the connective tissues for it to actually connect back to the core (I'd think) but since it's an areole, unless it was growing a pup or was young I don't think it has any more growth to do. Is it a new areole near the growth point?

That plant is cool btw. I have some growing from seed right now (T. los comias chile)

no its a mature one about an inch and a half down from the top.

and yeah they're fascinating , just lately I've had a fascination for the heavily armoured tricho's, maybe it's the dreams about tacaquirensis, taquimbalensis andwerdermannianus since sowing.

• Like 1

Go to the trading section and ask for myrtillocactus pollen. You could even ask for stenocereus pollen, I've heard of stenocereus/myrtillocactus hybrids in the past. That'd be awesome if you crossed them.

Was that cutting budding when it was cut?

i do not believe so. its already rooted as i understand it. which means its gota be a few months old since planting and their were only a few flower buds when i got it, its exploded in flowers/buds by 99% compared to what it looked like originally. it flowered more this morning.

I also got my new Zelly tricho! THE COLOSSUS !

and i uppotted my first TBM that i originally bought (i now have 8, need at least 10 - 15 more)

post-14335-0-82394800-1394813430_thumb.j

post-14335-0-27903300-1394813463_thumb.j

post-14335-0-98322000-1394813482_thumb.j

post-14335-0-74687800-1394813519_thumb.j

post-14335-0-82394800-1394813430_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-27903300-1394813463_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-98322000-1394813482_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-74687800-1394813519_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-82394800-1394813430_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-27903300-1394813463_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-98322000-1394813482_thumb.jpg

post-14335-0-74687800-1394813519_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

unspeakable is a great name. yep the first ones looks like forms of chilensis.

Take care of those, they dont like nearly as much water as others (pasacana, terscheckii, validus) can take. I should know, I've killed two so far!

I would say knuthianus too about the bumpy one, even though I don't have it. Btw I trade for or buy a knuthianus cutting.

I took a ladder to my new gh to put the shadings on. I now have sown some vegetables, and varius seed I had

• Like 1

Magical9 so it was you who snagged the colossus ;)

no even better than that ;) someone snagged it from me. but i did get another one tho ;) made my day when i got the offer.

• Like 1

hey I dont believe I did not comment on the myrti flowers!!!

I have been cultivating the mutherfucker for 5 years and had plants larger than this, coming from small plants though.

Cool to see this!! the berries are said to be quite tasty . They're not self fertile ?

Looking forward to see this on mine

• Like 1

I have no clue if they're self fertile. If anyone knows please chime in. And magical9, you should try to self polinate the flowers and see if they seed.

Repotted 4 community pots of Tricho seedlings into 9pk cells packs. The 4 pots contained over 75 seedlings in them total so it was a rather tedious and time consuming task. But they'll appreciate the breathing room.

• Like 1

ill try to self polinate them. not sure what to touch and where tho.. do i need to take it out to dinner first? or just rub the dangly things into the other dangly things?

• Like 4

You need to bring it to a fancy Italian restraunt first. Listen to it blab on for a while about it's co-workers (or co-cacti) and how they annoy it and act interested. Maybe buy it a few drinks too just to loosen it up. Then ask it back to your place after and light up some candles and put on a movie. Then if everything goes right you will get all up in that pistil with your stamen. (rub the dusty things on the center thing)

Edited by hostilis
  • Like 1

Today, I checked germinatia..... 5 pachanoixjuuls sprouted :D and a pachanoiXhuanucoensis rawrz!

so very happy about that B)

I found a new spineless terscheckii to grow, so ordered the seeds.

Rinsed the whole world again with more requests for validus , but as luck has it ,

some are on the way from a very kind soul and a definite cactaceal hero

Also two very cute werdermannianus arrived from my favourite cactus buff in Hungary.

gallery_14443_754_185006.jpg

and Pelecyphora valdeziana germinated, as did the koeh macrogonus sowed 4 days ago

the misp seeds are the most exciting,.... germinated so far:-

macrogonusXjuuls, more PCpachanoiXjuuls, PCpachXhuanucoensis, PCXbridgesii'helen',

..still very much itching for the validusXjuuls and the juulsXvalidus to sprout so added 3ml of water to each

2"seed pot just in case.

...seriously this has to be the most joy I've had from a cactus seed seller, not just in varieties but in reliability

- which is perfect and even better. - cactus hero 2014!

The new cacti from my favourite uk nursery burst into spidermites with such quickness so I broke out into cactical ops mode and donned my mite busters spray pack , checked the NPK meter which read fine so I used up the last of the mighty wash :wave-finger: after firing the webs

so those little shites can fk right off..., after that I sat back really enjoyed the feel of relief from the plants..

...as the sun perfectly timed it's hiding behind the neighbours house so the mighty wash wouldn't cause our little beauties to scorchio ...

and figured I'd write here after ordering more mighty wash, and begin working on plans for a quarantine area in case that nursery come up

with a species I or the kids want in the future ...and made a mental note to add all round nematodes to their next

waterings with rain (sometimes I use old aquarium water instead)

...and they haven't written back to me about the superglued areole or other species I asked for.... so thanks for helping with that. :)

....so they probably just found mites too and maybe are too busy trying to slay em. :D

.... most places I've told about mites on the cacti I receive from them get really uppity/mardy/cuntish about it for ages until they realise I don't want to send them back or be reimbursed, and am just trying tell them about mighty wash being really good on my cacti and acacias, and am trying to help them, not to complain lol

I finally traced the mites back to the Trichocereus huasca and figured out that they were probably kept outdoors at the nursery so I drenched it in mighty wash and put it outside with the large opuntias.

I ordered more seeds from Europe , Australia and N'America and asked at Kada's about validus, got a reply very fast, sadly no but they do have some other cool things so I sent them my full wants list , but it has been quite some time now since i asked them how to pay for shipibo and luna leaf cuts , maybe theyre otherwise occupied and perhaps i can conclude that that means they dont send them here?

like SAB?, at least SAB get back to you about it...

I will work on hunting more in Asia and S'America next. probably Peruu, Brazil and Ecuador

Also I ordered some scopulicolus (scopulicola) "pflanzen" from a cool looking German kakteen shop i found last night who doesn't have

validus either, with any luck I will get an invoice from them soon.

Relishing the hunt in Germany for cacti I picked up the search input lingo required: Trichocereen, kakteen and pflanzen/ samen/ graines, to aid me in my EU searching for cacti that Brits cant seem to muster, and I am finding most EU prices pretty much pee all over ours here from a very great height indeed! even with shipping added, with the exception of headshops lol

and they're far more polite by orders of magnitudes and more pleasant to deal with.

and with regards to their kakteen, wooo! especially on size and quality,

- with the exception of the fave uk place, but for about a week I reckon that'll be spidermite sanctuary.

and another uk place (the biggest one in uk where i got validusXechinopsis from - who rock for hygeine and health but not for tricho selection)

I managed to find a validus vendor in france but currently out of stock ...

also began more location planning for the third greenhouse, after sealing the main greenhouse foundations with expanding foam ,

I should really get the bubble wrap insulation up before the food crops are big enough to go out, just waiting for my back to heal from the last big cacti shuffle....

then I can work on what cacti I'm going to grow in the soil in the greenhouse beds that are vacant,

and make a space in advance for the validus that I have made a wish to the cactus fairy for,... ;)

so far I made cactus fairy wishes twice, once was for a pure juuls plant, and then found someone and got one within a few days of asking.

the second wish I can add as an edit was a colossus.

2 new 8watt electric propogators arrived so I moved all the cacti germination pots into them so I could clean the older propogators.

I did a 2"pot count to make sure I have more than enough to cover the next lot of sowings

still waiting for BEF in manchester to ship me some pots, but it is a first order.

I had managed to ship in some anderson die 2" nursery pots from portland oregon in the mean time

and found some second hand BEF on ebay , sadly 4 were smashed plus they were fahkin so filthy I was tempted to send them back

but once scrubbed - 2 hours, and disinfected overnight, ....the best pots I ever bought. here's some comparison pics

BEF ventilation

gallery_14443_754_673681.jpg

BEF plastic thickness and sturdy structure

gallery_14443_754_637971.jpg

Anderson die ventilation

gallery_14443_754_458306.jpg

Anderson die plastic thickness and structure

gallery_14443_754_385217.jpg

better than the flimsy thin plastic of anderson die ones, which were way better than nothing and saved having to convert medicine measurement caps to aircirculated seed pots, ...

but wont take an elastic band wrapped round them too tight like a BEF will.

My own hand made pots happened to be far superior than all of them and most home made ways often are...these had cases that fit perfectly saving all the shrinkwrap/cling film/rubber bands...but a ball ache to do en masse and who has that many medicine caps?,

maybe I can bulk buy them and use a drill and saw for efficiency?

Home made pot ventilation

gallery_14443_754_329169.jpg

Home made pot plastic thickness and structure

gallery_14443_754_430301.jpg

Home made pot's casing, I started with better looking smaller casings but the extra air made the diff head to head in speed in one experiment

gallery_14443_754_53321.jpg

also I started saving the measuring caps from easy carbo and profito (aquarium liquid carbon and ferts), they're a little bigger

gallery_14443_754_301538.jpg

and seeing as it took all day to make this post having been busy with parenting too, here's the first sunset sillhouette shot of the year

gallery_14443_754_530524.jpg

oh shit, you guys also got a colossus? that was my second wish to the cactus fairy and funnily enough I did't win it either but I did come second place lol

Also yayaaa finally the validusXjuuls and juulsXvalidus sprouted so I thought fk it n added another 5ml of water

unspeakable is a great name. yep the first ones looks like forms of chilensis.

Take care of those, they dont like nearly as much water as others (pasacana, terscheckii, validus) can take. I should know, I've killed two so far!

I would say knuthianus too about the bumpy one, even though I don't have it. Btw I trade for or buy a knuthianus cutting.

I took a ladder to my new gh to put the shadings on. I now have sown some vegetables, and varius seed I had

thank you kindly, I was erring on the side of caution regarding water and hadn't watered them yet,

I'll just let them draw from the soil in the huge scop pot they're sat in

and only water that ...or give them 25% of what the others get, and possibly half as frequently - edit - and end up putting them in the arrid tank

do you think it's worth upping the feed strength for the "half as frequently watered and at lower volume" cacti?

, this seems to dehydrate a few plants I've grown outdoors in the past quite nicely when needed ...

especially after the very heavy rains we have here; and gives them quite a boost

I don't know how fast knuthianus grows, and would've still been assuming it a peruvianusXjuuls

(after seeing an identical one as a parent plant in a sale of (peruvXjuuls)Xcristata seeds on ebay. or a colossus lol

definitely one day when its pupping I would love to share it with you,

it is only a foot high at the moment though and I want it to flower as soon as possible so I can't be cutting

it unless it makes a branch pup or suffers in the future somehow, plus I haven't a clue about them yet ,

how fast they grow, even where theyre from, if self sterile etc

I will definitely be hunting them more now because I need another one for gene pool and more flower opportunity and in case it's self sterile

If I end up finding more than one more,...or some seeds,

I will buy an extra one or two plants/seed packs for you and mail it/them to you for what it cost + the postage if you like?

or send you the link if its a web shop in a pm?

I already made this "cutting" mistake with my fat scop (i'm pretty sure it's a scop) when i had no clue what it was and was panicking that I'd never find another,

it's tempting to graft the tip back on though since it still hasn't rooted since august

but I've never grafted cacti before and until last month, that was my only scop and nobody sells them in uk knowingly

...but I got 10 pereskiopsis to learn grafting with the other day.

Trichocereus taquimbalensis WS259 Chaipiuco, Potosi, Bolivia (2937m) are the "werdies"... ooh funky font :]

lol , definitely a good cactus day when ya neighbour comes round with a cactus that was delivered while you were out : 3

one lovely scop from germany

gallery_14443_754_696425.jpg

Just bought a Trichocereus Sp. C083 Pan-am KM325 and a spachianus in uk

and I figured I'd water the Porticularia afra and post a pic even though it's not a cactus

gallery_14443_754_671078.jpg