The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

Finished assembling my greenhouse! Dark when I completed it so don't have time to move things in. Will post a thread about it \on Sunday

• Like 2

I propped up one of my mini greenhouses with a piece of wood which took a tumble and smacked into a Loph grafted onto a Trich.

It smashed the fuck out of the Loph and split it into two pieces as well as knocking it clean of the Trich.

The Loph had a flower bud starting too. It was one my first grafts and it was looking so good I was going to post photos of it on here.

I have some yellow dots, any thoughts or am i just being a hypercondriac

2012-11-08185631.jpg

They get even worse on this one

2012-11-08185611.jpg

Today I potted up 17 Trichocereus macrogonus seedlings. Yay !

Guess so, I definately had to nearly pour some of them out of the pots after that deluge! Cleaned the mess up today and set the plants that need repotting aside for the weekend.

Dreamtime: how quickly did that come about and have you had any hail lately?

@DreamTimeBliss, just leave it, i'm no expert on cati diseases but if it is something, it looks like a virus*. just leave it, maybe it'll clear up (i had a little scop cutting had something similar, i potted it into a larger pot it cleared right up). give it a feed and more room if possible?

*i have no idea.

Hmmm well as far as im aware it hasn't hailed here in awhile.

There are lots of birds around my area, if its come from an impact i think they are more likely culprits.

Ill keep a close eye to it, fingers crossed it doesn't mess with my first Super Pedro flowers...

On a side note, My display picture is of my first button cactus trying to flower, she ended up getting attacked by a slug so i didnt get to see her open up, after the attack what was left of the flower when all wilty so i pulled it off, Then something weird happened.... she grew another bud and is just about to flower again.

Is this normal, can button cactus flower twice a year ?

Yes its normal to get multiple flowers in one season, it means you must be looking after her well :-D

• Like 2

Dreamtime

This is just a guess, but we had several frosts up here this year, to me the areas showing that marking look like they could have been very close to the tip of the plants a few months back before they kicked in for their surge of growth in spring.

Maybe it copped a bit of frost damage to the tip and it didn't show up until the plant grew out a bit.

If the marks aren't spreading they will probably be ok

Edited by SallyD
  • Like 1

I protected them from fungus gnats by purchasing the ultimate wepon.. The sundew!

I am veery impressed with how many gnats they catch and its 100% natural bug control.. I should also mention that they look fantastic too!

Where did you purchase the sundew from? Would love to add one of them to my collection

you can get Drosera from bunnings or Masters, if you want some rarer ones try Triffid park in Victoria

• Like 1

Potted up a semi-monstrose Bridgesii cutting given to me by a very generous member here.

I'm wondering how long I should leave the cuttings standing in the pots before starting to water them...I don't really want to dig them up to check for roots. Anyone got a good timeframe or anything to go by that doesn't involve digging and possibly damaging?

If there well calloused, i would water them in and wait a month before watering again.

I gave a few of my newer cacti some gravel/small pebble top-layers. They look so happy now :lol:

the usual,

watered, weeded, rearranged some things

also repotted a heap of cacti and did some more pereskiopsis grafts as the last one took off even quicker than the first two.

And i took some photos too because we all love photos of cacti

post-7609-0-81394200-1352892479_thumb.jp

This is I think a werdermannianus or taquimbalensis

A nice plump tersheckii from Getafix

post-7609-0-67299200-1352892440_thumb.jp

A pup of the Super Spiny clone

New growth on Martin

post-7609-0-67299200-1352892440_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-81394200-1352892479_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-67299200-1352892440_thumb.jpg

post-7609-0-81394200-1352892479_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If there well calloused, i would water them in and wait a month before watering again.

Hm. Earlier in this thread I think I was told by several people it was important not to water at all until roots formed? :scratchhead:

A11026A3-EB39-45CC-9F9B-E76E27358D68-262-000008366732D8E2.jpg

some new bridgessi growth, and changing rips :worship:

• Like 2

my Gymnocalycium is flowering its so beautiful im in love with it

• Like 1

Hm. Earlier in this thread I think I was told by several people it was important not to water at all until roots formed? :scratchhead:

Generally with trichs, if they have calloused and been sitting in the soil for some time, then a bit of moisture and dark (you are right not to pull them up to check) will help to stimulate root growth.

My usual schedule is to wait to callous for a week or four, put in 'bag moist' soil on a warm day and leave for a couple of weeks, which gives some time in the dark for roots to begin forming.

Then, on a hot day I give them a thorough watering and do the same thing again a week or so later, and gradually adjust until they are on the same watering schedule as most of the other trichs (ie watered when the soil is dry, or most days in summer). This gives moisture for the incipient roots to reach out for.

Edited by chilli
  • Like 1

water them in they will be fine.

okie dokie, i'll give them a drink later this evening B)

Edited by gtarman

Just received my $20 lot of mixed cacti and potted it up. How long should I wait to give them a water??

EBAY $20 cacti lot (16/11/12)

IMG20121116 005

IMG20121116 004

IMG20121116 003

IMG20121116 002

potted (16/11/12)