The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

[/code]

quite the package on that dog too :o

Ha ha yeah I certainly do have a Bull Terrier, no other dog for me.

Yeah the problem with that package is the sunburn he inflicts on himself while sunning his nuts :P

no other dog for me.

I absolutely 100% know what you mean, that how i knew it was one from that obscured photo!

If you're anywhere near Melbourne i'd drive hours just to have a play with him

I absolutely 100% know what you mean, that how i knew it was one from that obscured photo!

If you're anywhere near Melbourne i'd drive hours just to have a play with him

Ha ha yeah he loves rough and tumble, generally you come off worst.

We bought him over with us from NZ, we are in Adelaide now.

The dog hijacking another thread :lol:

Better picture of him below

post-10315-0-07445000-1350118043_thumb.j

post-10315-0-07445000-1350118043_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-07445000-1350118043_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Planted these two massive Pach logs this morning, fattest Pach cutting's I have ever got my hands on. They had broken off a plant in a garden down the road from where I live.I had been looking at them laying on the grass for a few days and decided to ask the home owners what they were going to do with them. Anyway they very kindly gave them to me.

post-10315-0-48865600-1350170805_thumb.jpost-10315-0-37064500-1350170827_thumb.jpost-10315-0-47421900-1350170845_thumb.j

post-10315-0-48865600-1350170805_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-37064500-1350170827_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-47421900-1350170845_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-48865600-1350170805_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-37064500-1350170827_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-47421900-1350170845_thumb.jpg

Just got back from a week long fear and loathing esque bender in Christchurch to check my garden.

B. Caapi - Dead

Bhut Jolokia - Dead

Liquorice - Dead

Salvia - two plants salvageable

Loph seedlings - Marginal

:(

At least the cacti have gone bananas.

stepped outside to see the turbinicarpus flowering, but alas no camera to record for posterity.

but one of many i'm sure it's a fairly profuse little flowerer.

also noticed some orange rot on a loph, pooh :(

Edited by qualia

Checked my takeaway containers and noticed a few sprouts of J3 x Psycho0, L. williamsii, P. azureus, Juuls x T. BBG, Scop x Pach, T. spach.

:lol:

62716600-BD18-4B97-8E18-6FB02A0E6324-414-000004B8EE92A606.jpg

a true blue peruvianus on an 8yr old pedro.

shot doesn't show colour unfortunately, the over exposure is craphouse, but shows size of growth. genetics is strong and alive :)

• Like 2

Euphorbia obesas where going dirt cheap on eBay 5 or so months back. I got a lot of bargains.

They are a georgeous plant IMO

:wub:

a>

thats a really beautiful specimen man. is it a loph..? ..variety?

C_T, despite the poor lighting I like the effect of seeing the reflection of your graft in the window behind it. :wacko:

Thanks man, I got her from an old hippie selling plants in a street market while i was down in Melbourne 2 years back.

I was looking at his Pedro cutings for about half an hour then just before i walked away i asked him if there were any other cacti i might be interested in.

He took me around to the back of his van and pulled out 3 tiny but amazing lophs, in heidsight i should have taken the lot.

He told me they were Willies.

Ive heard they can produce seed without a partner, is there anything i can do to encourage this ?

• Like 1

Ive heard they can produce seed without a partner, is there anything i can do to encourage this ?

Yes williamsii is self-fertile, apparently you can just wiggle a paintbrush or cotton tip inside the flower.

I had a go at this last week and am currently awaiting results, but I know it has worked for many others here.

• Like 1

Hand pollinate with a cotton bud or a tiny paint brush dude :) but the payoffs far greater if theres a partner

Chilli mate, you beat me by a second :P

Edited by Goldtop
  • Like 1

Potted up an SS02 x SS01 seedling, SS02 x Bridgesii seedling and a KK339 cutting.

Thanks, SallyD :blush:

• Like 1

Sliced the bottom end off another bridgesii cutting (it was a pup, and I like to keep the bases level *OCD*..but there was also what could have been a small patch of rot).

I haven't got a great deal of cacti growing experience yet though. How long do you guys usually leave a fresh cutting to callous before planting it out?

Sliced the bottom end off another bridgesii cutting (it was a pup, and I like to keep the bases level *OCD*..but there was also what could have been a small patch of rot).

I haven't got a great deal of cacti growing experience yet though. How long do you guys usually leave a fresh cutting to callous before planting it out?

i wait 2 weeks min. although some peeps hold off planting untill they see roots appear

At least a week. Once you put it in dirt, don't water until rooted.

Ive been waiting a month, then i dont water for another fortnight.

Im no expert tho.

some people say place in dry soil/perlite/ whatever and dont check it out every few days

yeah dry soil/perlite whatever,

but you can do it in an empty container with no medium. depending on size and shape of course

and as for myself, sometimes, after a week, I check them. Checking them does not prevent root forming, y'know

plus, you get to see the roots in their begining.

then you can plant and water immediately. but hey, dont water as if it was a well rooted plant.

start watering slowly!

for Trichocereus assuming it is growing season I wait for at least two weeks to callus, then put in bag moist c&s mix and leave for a couple more weeks, maybe give a light watering then leave another couple more weeks and give them a good watering early on a hot day, aftre which I probably do the same every second time I water the others.

I generally don't bother to check for roots anymore, but another 'method' is to pop the cutting in a dark cool corner or closet and forget about it for a while, then rediscover it and yay! roots (and probably etiolation). Then just plant it and give it a couple of weeks before watering as normal.

Edited by chilli

I dont think OCD and cacti mix. I have an OCD afflicted friend with a number of cacti. Never have I seen a sadder bunch of unhealthy plants in my life. He's forever poking and prodding, repotting and diagnosing them with this and that disease, hacks bits out of them he deems unhealthy. It's really bizzare, I feel like breaking in and saving them from this psychotic torture.

I really hope he never has kids.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 3

I've given up on callousing, asides from when posting to a customer. I just cut and bang em in the soil. No problems.

• Like 1

yeah its the no water straight away that counts, it can callous in the dry soil.

a week or two and its new growth, add water, easy.

sometimes if you wait too long for water, it won't grow roots till it knows it will get water...

Edited by C_T