The Corroboree
Sir Jeans

Dredging in Great Barrier Reef

It would be awesome if some people would sign this petition! Note that I'm not actually affiliated with this organization, I just believe in the cause.

http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/coal-seam-gas/great-barrier-reef/dredging-the-reef?t=dXNlcmlkPTU4ODAxMyxlbWFpbGlkPTQ0Ng==

You can watch the story that 4 corners did on this issue here if interested:

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2011/11/03/3355047.htm

Information from the campaign page:

"Millions of cubic meters of sea floor is being removed from the Great Barrier Reef right now. It's the largest dredging project ever undertaken in Australia, making way for massive new coal seam gas export facilities. This massive industrial activity is damaging the Great Barrier Reef and threatens its status as a World Heritage Site. Sign the emergency petition now!"

• Like 1

singed :innocent_n:

what gives, i am on their mailing list, but they didnt send me this. they keep sending me shit about "murdoch" (they never use his full name) i dont care about. hate getup.

Getup do suck. But this does sound like a worth cause. I have getup marked as spam for email for simular reasons frank.

Australia's blatant disregard for the environment sickens me. The GBR needs more protection than ever, with so many threats increasing pressure on it, and what does the government sanction? Even more pressures, and in the name of CSG of all things. It's disgusting. Even worse that it's already begun, without a public referendum, without consultation of the World Heritage Committee, without regard for the delicate ecosystems they serve to destroy.

As for the number of CSG wells set to be drilled with in QLD alone the next 20 years - 40000! - it's completely unconscionable and should not be even remotely legal. In a country that is supposed to be making efforts to move away from fossil fuels and move to a 'greener' economy, we bulldoze ahead with completely environmentally unsustainable practices, pouring our money into shit like CSG instead of renewable energy. Fuck it makes me angry!

• Like 1

Unbelievable, for CSG as well... I kinda thought this might've been a joke.

Unbelivable.

Signed.

Thanks.

It really is unbelievable - It makes it hard for one to be optimistic about the future of humanity. But seeing that at least some people do care and are willing to do something about it makes it just possible, at least for me. Thanks everyone for supporting this.