The Corroboree
Psylo

The Random Thread.

Ernst Cassirer, the Philosophy of Symbolic Forms, Volume 1: Language

A system of physical concepts must reflect the relations between the objective things as well as the nature of their mutual dependency, but this is only possible is so far as these concepts pertain from the very outset to definite, homogenous intellectual orientation. The object cannot be regarded as a naked thing in itself, independent of the essential categories of natural science [or language, myth, art etc.]: for only within these categories which are required to constitute its form can it be described at all…

With this critical insight… science renounces its aspiration and its claim to an “immediate” grasp and communication of reality. It realizes that the only objectivization of which it is capable is, and must remain, mediation. And in this insight, another highly significant idealistic consequence is implicit. If the object of knowledge can be defined only through the medium of a particular logical and conceptual structure, we are forced to conclude that a variety of media will correspond to various structures of the object, to various meanings for “objective” relations. Even in “nature,” the physical object will not coincide absolutely with the chemical object, nor the chemical with the biological – because physical, chemical, biological knowledge frame their questions each from its own particular standpoint and, in accordance with this standpoint, subject the phenomena to a special interpretation and formation… this consequence in the development of idealistic thought… seems to negate… the unity of being [and]… threatens once more to disintegrate into a mere diversity of existing things. The One Being, to which thought holds fast and which it seems unable to relinquish without destroying its own form, eludes cognition. The more its metaphysical unity as a “thing in itself” is asserted, the more it evades all possibility of knowledge, until at last it is relegated entirely to the sphere of the unknowable and becomes a mere “X.” And to this rigid metaphysical absolute is juxtaposed the realm of phenomena, the true sphere of the knowable, with its enduring multiplicity, finiteness and relativity. But upon close scrutiny the fundamental postulate of unity is not discredited by this incredible diversity of the methods and objects of knowledge; it merely assumes a new form. True, the unity of knowledge can no longer be made certain and secure by referring knowledge in all its forms to a “simple” common object which is related to all these forms as the transcendent prototype to the empirical copies. But instead, a new task arises: to gather the various branches of science with their diverse methodologies – with all their recognized specificity and independence – into one system, whose separate parts precisely through their necessary diversity will complement and further one another. This postulate of a purely functional unity replaces the postulate of a unity of substance and origin, which lay at the core of the ancient concept of being.

And this creates a new task for the philosophical critique of knowledge… It must ask whether the intellectual symbols by means of which the specialized disciplines reflect on and describe reality exist merely side by side or whether they are not diverse manifestations of the same basic human function.

p.76-77

Essentially cognition is always oriented toward this essential aim, the articulation of the particular into a universal law and order. But beside this intellectual synthesis, which operates and expresses itself within a system of scientific concepts, the life of the human spirit as a whole knows other forms. They too can be designated as modes of “objectivization”: i.e., as means of raising the particular to the level of the universally valid; but they achieve this universal validity by methods entirely different from the logical concept and logical law. Every authentic function of the human spirit has this decisive characteristic in common with cognition: it does not copy but rather embodies an original, formative power. It does not express passively the mere fact that something is present but contains an independent energy of the human spirit through which the simple presence of the phenomenon assumes a definite “meaning,” a particular ideational content. This is as true of art as it is of [scientific] cognition; it is as true of myth as of religion. All live in particular image-world, which do not merely reflect the empirically given, but which rather produce it in accordance with an independent principle. Each of these functions creates its own symbolic forms which… enjoy equal rank as products of the human spirit. None of these forms can simply be reduced to, or derived from, the others; each of them designates a particular approach, in which and through which it constitutes its own aspect of “reality.” They are not different modes in which an independent reality manifests itself to the human spirit but roads by which the spirit proceeds towards its objectivization, i.e., its self-revelation.

p.77-78

the senses and the spirit are… joined in a form of reciprocity and correlation… the pure function of the spirit must seek its concrete fulfilment in the sensory world.

p.87

beside and above the world of perception, all these spheres [of meaning] produce freely their own world of symbols which is the true vehicle of their immanent development – a world whose inner quality is still wholly sensory, but which already discloses a formed sensibility, that is to say, a sensibility governed by the spirit. Here we no longer have to do with a sensible world that is simply given and present, but with a system of diverse sensory factors which are produced by some form of free creation.

p.87

Edited by Micromegas
  • Like 1

Vancouver mouse overdoses on heroin, but trust-building volunteers bring back to life

Snuggles the mouse was given a dose of naloxone by the Overdose Prevention Society after it apparently ingested heroin and suffered an overdose on the weekend. May 15, 2016. [PNG Merlin Archive] Sarah Blyth / Submitted

Share Adjust Comment Print

The team of volunteers at the Overdose Prevention Society are used to helping a lot of people dealing with a lot of problems.

Now they can add “mouse-care” to their long list of abilities.

Sunday night, a female mouse was brought to the OPS facility near Main and Hastings, clearly struggling with an overdose. 

“It was just lying there, listless,” the OPS’ Sarah Blyth said Monday. “It was just like a human overdose. Your breathing functions start to shut down.”

The OPS team were told the mouse had eaten some heroin, so Melissa Patton, one of the volunteers, immediately sprang into action. They administered naloxone, the standard antidote.

“We fed her orally,” using a small amount of spray, Patton explained. “We put some on her nose and she licked it off.”

Patton, who’s a pharmacy student, also administered oxygen using a small nasal can, which she had because she’s recovering from pneumonia. Oxygen is given to overdose patients to help the brain retain function.

Drawing from her knowledge of infants in the care of neonatal intensive care units, Patton and her colleagues held the mouse on their should.

“I know from NICUs that skin-t0-skin contact is really important.”

They also gave the mouse water, and another volunteer had some protein powder, which was mixed into the water to give the mouse some proper sustenance.

Even so, Patton said, they weren’t sure the mouse would make it through the night.

The mouse now seems to be fully recovered and has been adopted by one of the volunteers, and is being called Snuggles.

“It’s a feel-good story,” Patton said.

“A very, very cuddly mouse,” Blyth said. “It’s obvious it’s used to people.”

The mouse is the pet of a local resident who the OPS team knows. They brought the mouse in, hoping they could help. They’re now going into de-tox, and Patton has agreed to look after their small friend in the mean time.

“It’s important people have trust like this,” she said. “That’s the big piece. Even being able to have a conversation about detox is part of the process.”

Another volunteer is looking after another patient’s dog while they are in de-tox, she noted. 

“That’s the piece I love,” she said about being someone who can be a trusting, helping face for residents in the Downtown Eastside. “I’m here because I love it.”

“We have such a lovely crew of volunteers,” Blyth said. “This is just another instance.”

The OPS operation is seeing 600 people per day — a statement about the quality of care provided by the volunteers, she said.

“They’re so capable and willing to help anybody.”

Or now, anything.

[email protected]

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/vancouver-mouse-overdoses-on-heroin-but-brought-back-to-life

• Like 5

Awww! I used to have pet mice as a kid. Then I eventually got rats. Stoked it came through

Now, I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing hallelujah

• Like 2

You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light in every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken hallelujah

• Like 2

Anyone used the magical cannabutter machine? Is it worth it? I like that it does tinctures as well. We can cook alright but yeah I like tinctures and the range of cbd/thc it can do. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FancyPants said:

Anyone used the magical cannabutter machine? Is it worth it? I like that it does tinctures as well. We can cook alright but yeah I like tinctures and the range of cbd/thc it can do. 

Just get a cheap slow cooker.

• Like 3

^ also useful as a waterbath for "warm" vegetable glycerine tinctures:wink:

• Like 2

There wasn't just a moment of creation. Every moment is the creation.

• Like 2

Yah... been thinking maybe best just to keep it simple. I do love me my gadgets though. Also just now learning about rosin *facepalm* and really five fucking thousand dollars for a rosin press? Jesus Christ people are really cashing in on the GreenRush

new batteries in the head torch, fucken sweeet

I send an SOS to the world

I send an SOS to the world

I hope that someone gets my

I hope that someone gets my

I hope that someone gets my testes in a bottle yeah

testes in a bottle yeah

• Like 1

mmmm smokey Chinese ephedra tea ... fresh from fire mountain by the fragrance and flavour....

thanks postie but where are my fukken cactus?

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

What if Superman and General Zod just worked out their differences instead.

Supe: "Hey Zod, Earth is protected, you can't have it. But Jupiter has gravity more to your liking and we aren't using it right now so maybe i'll give you some of my fresh toe clippings for your genesis chamber and you take it and the world engine there instead. Gosh, we could even give you some resources to get set up and then later maybe we can do a few trades......"

which movie would be better?

Bye 

3 minutes ago, freakazoid said:

What if Superman and General Zod just worked out their differences instead.

Supe: "Hey Zod, Earth is protected, you can't have it. But Jupiter has gravity more to your liking and we aren't using it right now so maybe i'll give you some of my fresh toe clippings for your genesis chamber and you take it and the world engine there instead. Gosh, we could even give you some resources to get set up and then later maybe we can do a few trades......"

which movie would be better?

Bye 

Yeah man... I'm feeling it...

I had an Irish girlfriend once, she was nice but smelt like she never seen the ocean... now sure how they live...

So I seen this rainbow in the backyard, fucking 180 degrees. With the end visible.

WP_20170528_15_58_06_Pro.thumb.jpg.4947ae810dfa3268fd57de441cdc6ee7.jpgWP_20170528_15_57_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.ecd17e7e4a7db39f2dc1d092eebb8f33.jpg

I think its something to do with the ocean, you can see the end of them somehow.

made me think of that irish bitch... pot of gold and all. :bootyshake:

WP_20170528_15_58_06_Pro.thumb.jpg.4947ae810dfa3268fd57de441cdc6ee7.jpg

WP_20170528_15_57_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.ecd17e7e4a7db39f2dc1d092eebb8f33.jpg

WP_20170528_15_58_06_Pro.thumb.jpg.4947ae810dfa3268fd57de441cdc6ee7.jpg

WP_20170528_15_57_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.ecd17e7e4a7db39f2dc1d092eebb8f33.jpg

A wise man once told me .

Everybody wants heaven but nobody wants dead

D'oh! Bought a radar detector and only figure out now how high the penalties are, and that they have radar detector detectors lol. In the rubbish that goes...

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:36 AM, FancyPants said:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FancyPants said:

D'oh! Bought a radar detector and only figure out now how high the penalties are, and that they have radar detector detectors lol. In the rubbish that goes...

They use lidar these days anyway.

• Like 1

^^^ AHAHA forgot about that video...

Yeah you can tell how little I researched shit before getting it. Was a spur of the moment el-cheapo so no great loss. Better throw that than my licence :(

Anyone wanna buy a gorgeous fretless 5string ibanez bass?

• Like 1