The Corroboree
qualia

weeping black sores

in the pc below you can see some bridgesii cuttings which have these weeping black discolouration. the sap/pus appears to b coming from pin prick size holes in the middle of the black discolouration (which is under the surface. i thought it might be bruising/pin pricks from the spines as the cuttings were shipped with the spines intact. it's different from the other black spot which i guess is the black rot? anyway if you can say what it is, if it's potentially harmful or how to get rid of it please do (hopefully you can tell from the not so coo camera phone pics).

post-8276-0-02682900-1320450390_thumb.pn

weep_black.png

weep_black.png

it has been really favorable conditions for fungus/rot in melbourne recently, all my cuttings left outside have picked up spots. I think it will dry out soon and they should heal up fine by themselves, I would leave them be unless it starts getting worse over the next couple of weeks.

I had some of this on my many bridgesii about a year ago. It looked awful, but the plants are still thriving and it seems to have cleared up. Hopefully someone with more expertise than me will offer their input though - I'm curious to know what it is too!

keep the cuts in a warm dry area & use an old toothbrush & powdered sulfur directly on the black weeping rot.

when the black areas harden up, dont try to cut them out, just leave them be, they'll be fine.

I have had this on a number of my bridg. It hasn’t caused them any harm other than a ugly scar. They seem to ooze this black stuff for a while and then dry up. I is a bit worrying when you first see it and the pach gets bigger by the day but it will stop and heal it self. The one thing I noticed on mine it was on the same ( north east ) side of all of the effected plants and I had about six deferent plants with this at the same time. The other thing of note is they were only bridg's affected nun of my other trich's have ever had this.

Cheers

Got

The other thing of note is they were only bridg's affected nun of my other trich's have ever had this.

This is my experience too.

I wondered if it might be a kind of beetle that was released in Australia to control feral opuntia. They eat away at the plant from the inside and (from memory) I think it results in a similar black oozing. However, on the couple of times that I did cut into the black stuff, I couldn't find any evidence of insect activity.

thanks. i'll put some sulphur on it and see. i don't really have a sunny outdoors to put them in but indoors is dry at least and i can put them in the sun coming through the window in the morning at least.

Ideally you should try and dispose of any cacti that are infected. This is a really common problem in Trichocereae In Australia. I've had this problem with Oreocereus, Trichos, Cleistos and others. Quarantine any infected plants, try as many fungacides as you can. The fungus seems to kill seedlings, I've watched hundred die off at a time. With older plants it just causes superficial damage but having these plants around can infect others. The spores are dispersed through water, so when you're watering your plants be very careful not to splash water from an infected plant onto another.

This is also a common problem in commercial cacti fruit growing.

SaUtK.jpg

0OWJM.jpg

0aflu.jpg

I just bought some cuttings too. Could someone explain to me if this is a fungus? [deleted by admin - don't ask that question again in that form] Should i plant these cuttings instead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. They have been sitting in postage since the 4th so is it possible they're just spine wounds which have been over humidified?

PS: These are very few and far in between, the cactus look very healthy but have these black things scarcely populated. The pics i took were about the extent of the damage.

Edited by Torsten