The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Psylo

Pussy Repellent ?

We have a small plot of garden that I recently dug up, and planted some chillis. Our cat is very much enjoying the bed to shit in this season, and we want to work out a way to stop her from doing do. Are there any herbs, or even a non-toxic blend of household acids that might deter her, but not contaminate the soil ? There's a hop bine on the property growing out of a massive pot, she used to like sleeping there, so we put a whole bunch of skewers in there to stop it. But fr this bit of garden, we dont want to do that for cosmetic reasons. Also cat related, this year we are copping lots of snails, but fear that if I use those green pellets she might eat them !

• Like 1

abandoned

Edited by dworx

Companion plant with cactus. Works for birds.

Apparently rue (Ruta Graveolens) can be used to deter cats, while i have grown it i have never ended up using it for that reason. but i have never seen my cat sleeping in that spot where i grow it.

You could try setting up another area to distract your cat. catmint is good if your cat likes it. my cat keeps killing them from spending hours rolling on them :rolleyes:

I've never had a problem with my cat eating slug and snail pellets, and i used them everywhere, but i guess its good to be safe. maybe spread a few in a spot where you can easily observe and see if it takes any interest in them.

hope that helps,

Cheers, Obtuse.

You can get multiguard which is an iron based snail pellet, doesnt contain the same poison as the blue or green ones, and I have quite a few cats and they have zero interest in them. Even if they did eat some they won't kill them.

I can't offer suggestions about cat shit, mine all do it wherever the fark they please and unfortunately its usually in the front yard, just to impress the visitors. Wanna come over, anyone? bahhahaha :P

I had a rude joke but I shall desist.

Apparently rue (Ruta Graveolens) can be used to deter cats

I have a heap of seed if anyone wants to give it a go (at least, I think I still do).

I had a rude joke but I shall desist.

Oh, do go on.

Coleus canina can be planted to deter cats, but if you're also having loads of snails, cacao husks might just do the trick for both. Snails don't like them, cats don't like them, soil loves them and you don't have to sprinkle poisonous (and imo unsightly) snail pellets everywhere.

Have you mulched around your plants? Cats like loose exposed soil to fick over their shit when they finnish, if its mulched it may go in the neighbours yard :devil:

My cat hates my sugar cane mulch!.... except to sleep on cause its soft and cool.

Edit: +1 on the multigaurd. Its tops!

Edited by Bongchitis

Some good advice worth considering so thanks all. (except maybe for spraying her bum with chilli mist). It dawned on me why she nver shit there befor, its because it was always quite weedy amongst the food plants. Maybe one of those weeds is a deterrent, or more likely its just a case of not having enough diggable soil. I will try a few things out. Any other ideas, keep them coming.

Nice advice on the snail pellet alternative. However are they going to impact in the soil pH when they break down ?

Iirc they have a ph of ~6 or so (slightly acidic), it doesn't change soil composition much if any.

Some other plants besides C. canina and R. graveolens that are cat deterrents are pennyroyal, lavender and rosemary. Both pennyroyal and the Ruta graveolens are poisonous plants as well though, so I'd go for the safer alternatives.

The iron breaks down to a soil nutrient that won't harm earthworms

Which is all I could find on the subject, via a website.

Snail pellets are ugly and perhaps cruel, but I now use them as I have lost too many plants to snails recently and I want to actually eat food from my garden this year, not feed the snails. They can eat somewhere else!!!

As for the mulch thing, that hasn't deterred my cats from using my garden as a toilet, I just find little mounds of pea straw piled up with a nasty surprise underneath. :blink:

But densely planted garden beds at my place do not get used by cats, so yeah, perhaps some kind of dense companion planting around your Chillis may help?

Good luck!!

Is a human pussy or a animal?.

The cat animal actually can to use the toliet if seeing you using it.

True.

• Like 1

The best pussy repellent is my toothless smile. (Some one had to say it) :P

I have been using the multiguard snail pellets as well they don’t seem to work for as long as the other types but I don’t trust my dog not to eat them.

She had a near death experience with rat pellets when only about 10 weeks old and I don’t want her or us to go through that again.

Cheers

Got

In a book I just returned to the library, 'Herbaceous' I think it was recommended Rue for repelling cats, unfortunately it didn't have any more info on the topic. :angry:

The iron breaks down to a soil nutrient that won't harm earthworms

Which is all I could find on the subject, via a website.

the iron breaks down, says this website?

to a soil nutrient?

:scratchhead:

i wonder which soil nutrient it breaks down to!!

SOURCEGo cry to mr snail, I dunno.. and thats all I read in a quick google search, and I admit, *guilty of mass snail slaughter* :unsure: but they were taking food from my bairns mouthes, what can I say.

p.s they were common exotic snails, I have found no evidence of any native snails in my garden. So ner.

Edited by meeka
  • Like 1

the best pussy repellant is to get her simply not to wash for a week.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-woodpeckers-resist-impact-injury.html

{Why do woodpeckers resist head impact injury?

October 26, 2011

article

comments (0)

Head injury is a common concern around the world, but researchers suggest that woodpeckers may have an answer for minimizing such devastating injuries. As reported in the Oct. 26 issue of the online journal PLoS ONE, an analysis of woodpecker anatomy and behavior revealed some features that could potentially be put to use in designing more effective helmets.}

Same way with pussy peckers.

Always wear a helment on the head.

2L coke bottles filled with water and the label ripped off, works wonders for my grandparents, they grow veges every year and my uncle has like 5 cats (hes living there at the moment)

Edit- forgot to mention, place a few in amongst your plants, spaced around evenly, lying on there side.

I know they don't look great but after a few weeks the cats get "trained" and do there business elsewhere.

Edited by Stath

2L coke bottles filled with water and the label ripped off, works wonders for my grandparents, they grow veges every year and my uncle has like 5 cats (hes living there at the moment)

Edit- forgot to mention, place a few in amongst your plants, spaced around evenly, lying on there side.

I know they don't look great but after a few weeks the cats get "trained" and do there business elsewhere.

Whats the theory behind this idea?

Not 100% sure but it might have something to do with the cats not wanting to pollute a water supply, either that or my grandad spraying them with the hose has ingrained some sort of fear :wink:

I was under the impression it was to stop dogs shitting on lawns as they wont go where its wet and some old bloke got muddled up and put water on his lawn... but in bottles. For some reason it caught on and became popular in the 80's. Now where the fuck did I read that?