The Corroboree
Evil Genius

Erich von Däniken & Ancient Astronauts

Just been watching a few Episodes of the TV Serie ANCIENT ALIENS and i need a vent. Thats the show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_aliens

Thats Erich von Däniken if you arent familiar with his theories about Aliens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_von_D%C3%A4niken

I really like shows about forgotten cultures and i also like to hear uncomfortable theories and ideas but some of the theories they come up with in this show are such bs that i couldnt keep me from posting it here. So the concept of pre-astronautics is that there were Aliens who have been visiting old cultures like the mayas or the Egyptians and influencing them in their art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_astronauts

I think the whole concept is bullshit. Erich von Däniken has a great talent to ignore scientific proof and just take out the parts that fit his theory. You know, i also think that people underestimate the capability of the old worlds cultures in regard to construction, mathematics and such. Why shouldnt they been able to put one stone on top of another to build monuments like stonehenge.

The Episode i just watched took parts of the greek mythology and tried to put it into relationship with aliens. For example, they said that some "experts" believe that mythological figures like the minotaur did indeed exist and were nothing but hybrids between aliens and humans. With this they also tried to explain immaculate conception eg the "virgin mary" must have been in-vitro fertilisated by aliens. How else would it be possible that there were so many "virgin inseminations" in the older cultures! Hello??? Maybe they simply lied because they didnt want to be stoned to death over their enthusiasm for the penis sausage???

I´m sure in the times of the aztects, it must have kinda sounded like this:

Huanitalacl: "Hello Carlopopl, im pregnant!" -

Carlopopl: "But how can that be, we havent had sex yet? If you slept with another man, i cut your head off." -

Huanitalacl: " weeeell, in that case, it has to be a miracle then!!! The gods from the sky came and impregnated me!"

Carlopopl: "Oh really? Well in that case, lets Praise the gods from the sky!!!"

Huanitalacl: "Yes, Praise the gods from the sky and their mighty virgin impregnating skills!"

Cant believe there are Scientists who believe crap like this. Rant Over. :lol: bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

"Erich von Däniken has a great talent to ignore scientific proof and just take out the parts that fit his theory."

have to agree on this completely. iv watched 4-5 episodes and and couldn't agree more on that statement. ha

He's pretty bad, but not as bad as Giorgio A. Tsoukalos:

hurr-durr-derp-face-i-dont-know-therefore-aliens.jpg

I enjoy the show but take everything they say with a grain of salt. Some of the theories are interesting, others are just plain ridiculous.

TheExplorer :worship: lol you just killed me. Had the same thought when i saw his ginormous head an hour ago. Thanks for letting me know theres intelligent life out there and that there are people who dont buy most of their theories either. I mean, its not all bullshit and i really appreciate seeing some of the old art, monuments and artefacts but i hate pseudo-scientists like Von Däniken as they give cultural science a bad name. Its not even the theories that make me so furious...its the way how they argument them around the historical facts without even presenting one single proof. Personally, i am 100% sure that Von Däniken knows that most of his stuff is crap but he´s making a ton of money with it so why should he retain from publishing more?

Edited by Evil Genius

haha Giorgio memes are the best. I watched one season of the show and didnt mind some of it. Its nice to see the other sides of things not just the accepted side

2a9d3y9.jpg

hahahaha those photos are gold

theres some cool shit in that show like the way stonehenge lines up with the planets and sun pyramid aswell, pretty amazing that they figured out such astronomy 5000 odd years ago or whatever, way more amazing than aliens coming down and telling them!

that show can be pretty bullshit ay i watched that minutour episode the other day and loled. also a few before where they were saying the egyptian kings were probably alien because they had big hips small chest and big heads OMG JUST LIKE ALEINS DO!

haha theres some pretty trippy shit too like that carving looks heaps like someone driving a rocket with pedals and switches and shit

Hello??? Maybe they simply lied because they didnt want to be stoned to death over their enthusiasm for the penis sausage???

This sentence just made my night. :lol:

Yeah, after watching the show you can really appreciate the meme:

9189283.jpg

yesitis2.gif

Edited by TheExplorer

i <3 tinfoil

lol, oh man, thanks for posting this...really put a smile on my face as Von Danikens bunkum has been one of my pet peeves for years.

One of the things that really bug me about these ancient astronaut theories is not only how preposterously literal they are, but how ethnocentric.

It's the height of arrogance, imo, to assume the pyramid builders of ancient egypt or central america did not have the skill, expertise or ingenuity to contruct monolithic architecture - as if humans of the past were too primitive or ignorant...or that a prehistoric rock carving depicts an alien in 20th century-style spacesuit, and dont get me started on the Nazca lines!! (incidentally I think Paul Devereuxs ideas re this are much more interesting - the first edition of The Long Trip: The Prehistory of Psychedelia has a great chapter on this which he later devoted an entire book to).

Does anyone still take Von Danikens ideas seriously?

Agreed. Many people fail to realise that some of the civilisations that have existed over time were actually quite advanced in certain fields.

For example, this (old) video shows how one man alone could construct something similar to Stonehenge using only basic materials:

Edited by TheExplorer