The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Shroom-Aura

morel help

I've been trying for a while and am really having trouble finding the right habitat for morels. I know they grow here though because I've seen one before. everytime I ask just for general habitat info all I get is "people won't give away their locations". but all I need is the general type of habitat ie what type of forest, i've been to many native and eucalypt forests with burnt trees without any success

me too aura, I have searched for last 3 years quite heavily. Even been given the location of where large patches been growing before, I havn't found a single specimen yet. Also try woodchipo beds. Apparently they like suburbia.

location reports i have are mostly suburbia too which is interesting.

but as far as finding them out in the wild i am yet to have success as well. most annoying.

Anyweay, the search continues.

Cheers, Obtuse.

same I've only found one in a woodchip landscape bed at a TAFE a few years ago. Never seen any since though. i've asked the Adelaide mycologist and all she said was to look in forests which have fires at some point. and to start looking from august, might have to see if I can get more specifics

Edited by Shroom-Aura

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truffle_%28fungus%29

http://www.ehow.com/info_8463163_host-trees-white-truffles.html

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/truffle-tree---hazelnut-with-truffle/truftreepd.aspx

http://www.ehow.com/info_8463163_host-trees-white-truffles.html

Host Trees for White Truffles

Print this article

Truffles are knobby, subterranean fruits of the Tuber genus of fungi. They are also culinary treasures, prized for their complex fragrance and flavor. There are many varieties of truffle, but primarily they are categorized into white, black and burgundy. White truffles are more common than burgundy, but not as sought-after as black truffles.

Oak

Many truffières in Europe and Asia are traditionally wooded with oak trees, since many varieties of truffles, including white truffles, can grow to fruiting size around their roots. Many truffières around the world followed suite, but native trees other than oak trees can also host white truffles. However, even oak tree roots are often first inoculated with truffle mycelium (truffle fungi matter) to encourage the fungi to grow around its roots.

Hazelnut

Another commonly grown white truffle host tree, hazelnuts are valued not only for hosting the lucrative white truffle crop, but for producing marketable hazelnuts as well. Regions that can support hazelnut are fewer than those that can host the ubiquitous oak, so they're used as host trees in fewer regions.

Pecan

Another tree that produces a secondary crop other than white truffles, pecan trees are valued for both the fungus and their nut crop. However, pecans natively host Tuber lyonii (a.k.a. Tuber texenese) white truffles. These are different from the more commonly farmed and sought-after white truffle, Tuber magnatum.

Other Trees

In the northwest, Douglas firs are the most common host of white truffles, while in southern United States, it is pecan trees. Truffles are symbiotic with many different types of trees, aiding their growth even as the tree roots provide nourishment to the fungi. Daniel B. Wheeler, prominent U.S. truffle hunter, notes that almost any tree can host these elusive culinary treasures.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a morel but the same way to raise one.

Edited by devance

I too have been looking and failing but i thought i should pass on some info a very successful and very experienced hunter told me.

1. There are two kinds of morels: post fire morels and annual patch morels

2. If you are looking for fire/burn morels then you need a very hot and rampant fire. The fire MUST take out the undergrowth AND the canopy. So fuel reduction burns often aren't good enough.

3. Burn morels ONLY occur the august/sept after the fire. NOT the spring after that. It's a one time offer.

4. Annual morels tend to prefer loose soil, shit soil really, well draining with (granite preferred) gravel. Can be in grass or woodchips or near trees.

5. The locations of annual morel patches are the intensely guarded secrets.

6. Burn morels tend to be in open type bush, not in rainforest post fire. Shit, i forget the actual bush descriptive name.

6. Burn morels tend to be in open type bush, not in rainforest post fire. Shit, i forget the actual bush descriptive name.

Dry sclerophyll?

Cheers, Obtuse.

Edited by obtuse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trehalose

n nature, trehalose can be found in animals, plants, and microorganisms. In animals, trehalose is prevalent in shrimp, and also in insects, including grasshoppers, locusts, butterflies, and bees, in which blood-sugar is trehalose. The trehalose is then broken down into glucose by the catabolic enzyme trehalase for use. Trehalose is also present in the nutrition exchange liquid of hornets and their larvae.

In plants, the presence of trehalose is seen in sunflower seeds, moonwort, Selaginella plants,[7] and sea algae. Within the fungi, it is prevalent in some mushrooms, such as shiitake (Lentinula edodes), maitake (Grifola fondosa), nameko (Pholiota nameko), and Judas's ear (Auricularia auricula-judae), which can contain 1% to 17% percent of trehalose in dry weight form (thus it is also referred to as mushroom sugar). Trehalose can also be found in such microorganisms as baker's yeast and wine yeast, and it is metabolized by a number of bacteria, including Streptococcus mutans, the common oral bacterium responsible fo