The Corroboree
chnt

nextbook android tablet

hello..

i've been wanting a portable pdf/ebook reader, and i've come across "this link"

while i do my own research, i wanted to see if i could get some quick info here since it ends in a few hours.

my main inquiry is, would this device be able to read any pdf/ebook or does it have to be in a certain format or bought from a certain website, etc..?

i do not want it if i cant put any pdf/ebook on it and read it, similarly how downloaded songs from itunes cant be used on other computers and shit, that can get fucked..

any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

pretty keen to read up on stuff while on the train and many other examples.

arigato, gracias, thanks

Edited by chnt

i do not want it if i cant put any pdf/ebook on it and read it, similarly how downloaded songs from itunes cant be used on other computers and shit, that can get fucked..

I run Android on my phone and there are no such restrictions with music. In fact ater a lot of research, the OS CAN do exactly what I want - which is to avoid the aftermarket software altogether, and simply create a folder, and drag & drop mp3's from my PC. No extra bullshit.

I run Android on my phone and there are no such restrictions with music. In fact ater a lot of research, the OS CAN do exactly what I want - which is to avoid the aftermarket software altogether, and simply create a folder, and drag & drop mp3's from my PC. No extra bullshit.

this info is helpful, thanks.

i'm still researching but i think i just might get this, relatively inexpensive and very handy.

i have a galaxy tab here which i got from uni, and while i basically hate it and android with a passion*, there has been no problems with opening pdfs on it. i think it comes with a built in reader, maybe i downloaded a reader and tried that as well. no issues with opening files downloaded from the web (sources include dl from library, websites, torrents scribd etc). i've never bought an ebook/pdf so i can't help with commercial products. music i never listened to on it as i have an mp3 player. in saying that drm on files is usually built into the files themselves, and is no fault of the reader/player. i downloaded a song from itunes once and ran into that drm crap. once was enough, never bought from them again. adobe has this thing where they have special files which act as a "library loan", i.e. you can view it for a few weeks and then it runs out. it's a hideous piece of software and i would avoid it like the plague.

*my list of gripes is long, heres some main ones

- small, annoyingly so. so small I have to zoom into a pdf and then scroll around to read it, even when on "landscape' view. fuck that.

- can't download files - probably a fault of the browser (inbuilt) but i could never download files from the web on it. strike 1, 2 and 3 all in one there.

- crap software - all android apps seem like shit to me. maybe i'm too used to what i use on macos but i basically hated all of them.

- no usb port - bluetooth worked but naturally slower than usb.

- did i mention small?

interesting, i'm looking at 10.2" ones now, maybe this size will be more sufficient, thanks for the cons, it would be a pain having to zoom in.

i just wanted something pretty cheap otherwise i'd get a laptop..

If you go down the laptop route, i'd look into refurbished laptops from a store front in your area. Store front because you can get any problems sorted strait away. (my power supply shat itself after a few months and they just swapped it over no problems.) you can sick up a decent laptop for about $250 with all the usb driver you want lol plus it's recycling :)

just to give you an idea on the price, here's the store i deal with, but of course being a victorian store, just a lil far for you :P

Www.reboot-it.com.au

my phone is being dumb and not letting me link it right or edit my post :S

ended up getting a bottom of the line no brand model $180 for a 10.2". i'm happy with it, well i will be once i get it doing what i want..

thanks for the help