The Corroboree
Teotzlcoatl

Costa Rican Sun Drunkening Plant

When I was in jail this guy kept talking about this plant from Costa Rica that got you fucked up when you sat in the sun after you took it.

I think it was the bark used? I can't remember.

I have no idea what plant this could be, I've never heard of anything like it... does anybody have any idea what it might be? He said it was fairly popular though not widespread.

• Like 1

Acrocomia aculeata perhaps?

It's used to make 'Coyol wine', which according to Wikipedia (that veritable fountain of all things worth knowing)

The wine is purportedly unique in that it causes inebriation not primarily by its alcohol content, but through enzymatic action triggered when one drinks it and then receives significant sun exposure. It is popularly claimed that one can become inebriated at night, regain sobriety by the next day, and then undergo inebriation again in the morning without even consuming any more, merely by being exposed to the sun again.

Took me all of 5 minutes to find that out.

• Like 1

When I was in jail this guy...

Sorry to go off topic, but can I just back up a little and point out two things:

1) You were in jail.

2) You were in jail with a guy.

There are a number of conclusions that could be drawn from this, some more likely than others, many of them potentially disturbing :wink:

• Like 2

Teotz sure has been posting heaps of crap lately fockin yawn

• Like 1

Teotz sure has been posting heaps of crap lately fockin yawn

agreed, but how was this one crap? I'd never heard of this before and I am quite intrigued.

• Like 1

Cmon Teotz, share some of your prison stories. :wink: Hope you got at least a nice anchor tatoo out of the experience.

• Like 1

Interested in both topics tbh :) Go on boy.. share some of your prison stories. Lemme go make a cuppa joe first.

Anchor tattoo? Pfft.. getting some full on moko tats is where it's at.

sounds like he was dreaming of sinking a brew on the beach when he got out

Cmon Teotz, share some of your prison stories. :wink: Hope you got at least a nice anchor tatoo out of the experience.

Pfff, haha, I was in there just a few weeks.

I punched a black guy cause he took my soup. The rest was boring as hell. That's about it. BTW it was jail NOT prison.

sounds like he was dreaming of sinking a brew on the beach when he got out

He was in his 50s and had 50 years of time to do (though he appealed), he was just dreaming. He'd talk about Costa Rica (where he used to live) every single day.

Acrocomia aculeata perhaps?

I think that may be it. BTW let's TRY to keep this topic about the plant.

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

Haha that's RIGHT! Ramen noodles are currency in jail.

Thank you for staying on topic EG ;)

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

One more little deviation off (or on?) topic if I may...

Teotz, what's the difference between gaol (jail) and prison? Here they are the same thing.

Is jail just the holding cell at the police station while they figure out what to do with you, or while you await a court appearance?

I'm alway confused when i see that show "Cops" because the police are always saying "Yip, y'all going to jail", whereas here police do not make that call at all, the magistrate does. The police just arrest you, they have no say in sentencing.

Sounds like an interesting plant by the way, I'll be watching this thread.

Teotz, what's the difference between gaol (jail) and prison? Here they are the same thing.

In American when you are a suspect of a crime they arrest you and take you to jail. It's up to the cop if he wants to take you to jail or not (depending on the crime). When you get to jail you can either sit there until your court date or you can bail out if you have enough money. Then when you go to court you can be sentenced to time. If that time is less than a year you just go hang out in county jail, if it's more than a year you go to state or federal prison where everybody wants to fight you and wants you to join their BS gang and shit.

the highlight of this years shadow browsing for me!

Wow really?

Well I don't really know anything about the plant that is why I was asking others.

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

I think the plant is called Hops, it's used to make a brew that is nice served cold, and if you drink enough and sit in the sun, yes, it will have the described effect :)

No I asked multiple times if it was some kind of alcohol or beer and he was very adamant that it was NOT alcohol or anything like that but some sort of actual plant, I think it was the bark that was used.