The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
∂an

Tassili Mushroom Art

I really love these rock paintings from the Tassili plateau (note the second one is a 'contemporary' interpretation :) ). Anyone know if you can buy T-shirts with the images printed on them? If not, anyone keen on buying one if I get some printed? Would need to get high res images though...

post-6519-0-88366100-1317822055_thumb.jp

post-6519-0-57102500-1317822098_thumb.jp

post-6519-0-88366100-1317822055_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-57102500-1317822098_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-88366100-1317822055_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-57102500-1317822098_thumb.jpg

I would ***really*** love to see some images of the original rock carving of both.

Apparently kat harrison did a little interpretation on that first image as well.

so im curious...

Cheers, Obtuse.

yeah I think the ones circulating the net are Kat's drawings. Will investigate further...

Edit: The original photographs were taken by a guy called Jean-Dominique Lajoux in 1961 (link)

Edited by kalika

I think I saw some on ebay a while back but I dispute the interpretation that it depicts mushrooms.

but I dispute the interpretation that it depicts mushrooms.

Hi Zen,

what do you think they depict? I have no knowledge of african rock art so can't add anything to the discussion, I'm just curious what you think?

cheers

Clearly they're umbrellas. He's the umbrella god. :lol:

There are original images of the rock art on pages 6 and 7 of that link I posted. But I can't see any resembling the bee man or the mushroom runners. From reading Graham Hancock's book 'Supernatural', I would think that most anthropologist would say they are hunting magic drawings with the mushrooms actually being arrow heads or something like that. It's strange that given all the speculation about prehistoric use of mushrooms by man (outside of the americas), that these two images are all the evidence we have. The mushroom experience seems so profound and easily accessible that it really confuses me as to why its image is not more prolific.

edit: this is where the originals of the 'mushroom' images are published - 'The Rock Paintings of the Tassili' by Jean-Dominique Lajoux, 1963, pp. 71, 72-73.

Edited by kalika

Fungi Perfecti

They've had them for ages & seemed happy to send them OS when I enquired a few years back but yes, I'd like to see the original as well.

post-608-0-22074300-1318041126_thumb.jpe

Did someone say artistic license? lol

post-608-0-22074300-1318041126_thumb.jpeg

post-608-0-22074300-1318041126_thumb.jpeg

Edited by strangebrew
  • Like 1

^ It's hands look empty to me... :unsure:

• Like 1

If you up the contrast you can make out 4 "shrooms" - one in each thigh & upper arm.

More shroomy than arrowhead IMO.

Ah ok I see what you mean now. I was comparing the photo to the first picture in this thread, which I though was a redraw of the photo.

Definately nothing in the hands.

post-608-0-41798100-1318066101_thumb.jpg

Damn though, would have scared the crap out of any youngster/s doing initiation ceremonies down in those caves. What an experience!

Fungi Perfecti

They've had them for ages & seemed happy to send them OS when I enquired a few years back but yes, I'd like to see the original as well.

post-608-0-22074300-1318041126_thumb.jpe

Did someone say artistic license? lol

ahh should have known Paul Stamets would have already done this... cheers!

and thanks for the original image of the bee man strange brew. I can make out a few 'shroom' looking objects at least, would be amazing to see this rock art IRL.

so who did the original b/w drawing in the 1st pic? i've seen that cited in books as actual rock art, but now am i lead to believe it isn't?

certainly it only bears a passing resemblance t the art in post #12

i've seen that cited in books as actual rock art,

If you're referring to McKenna's "Food of the Gods" you may be right - Kathleen Harrison, his missus drew it. lol

Its another case of when one persons interpretation has taken on a myth of its own and now depicted as fact.

There are so many of these cases now and i feel its really unfortunate as it helps to destroy any acedemic credibility that may have been present in the first place.

Gordon Wasson, was also a good one at finding mushrooms where they never were, despite all the other amazing info he helped uncover, his obsession helped undo his credibility.

I would recommend reading 'Shroom' by Andy Letcher to anyone who is interested in this myth making element of the pyschedelic rediscovery of modern times.

Cheers, Obtuse.

i'll have to check, pretty sure it was in the stamets "psilocybin mushrooms of the world" book. not sure as i haven't opened it in a while.

The Kat Harrison image was first printed in Oss and Oeric's revised edition of 'Psilocybin: the magic mushroom growers guide' in 1986.

It has since been published in numerous publications including Mckenna's 'Food of the Gods', Stamet's 'Psilocybin musrooms of the world' (uncredited), and as the front cover of Devereux's 'The Long Trip'.

Cheers, Obtuse.

Edited by obtuse

How was it described in Food of the Gods - an artistic interpretation or actual rock art? I can't remember & I sold my copy many moons ago.

They could be anything and I think it takes a lot of arrogance for someone from a different culture with zero appreciation of the cultural context of the artist to make any assumptions about what the image depicts so that it fits their own agenda.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

Its another case of when one persons interpretation has taken on a myth of its own and now depicted as fact.

There are so many of these cases now and i feel its really unfortunate as it helps to destroy any acedemic credibility that may have been present in the first place.

Gordon Wasson, was also a good one at finding mushrooms where they never were, despite all the other amazing info he helped uncover, his obsession helped undo his credibility.

I would recommend reading 'Shroom' by Andy Letcher to anyone who is interested in this myth making element of the pyschedelic rediscovery of modern times.

Cheers, Obtuse.

I can't work out why the McKenna's would so blatantly misrepresent the image when there really is no need to - does it really need genitals? :lol:

and why Stamets has continued to run with it is beyond me.

P.S. actually found a review of an Andy Letcher talk yesterday where he mentioned it.

Andy Letcher talk

How was it described in Food of the Gods - an artistic interpretation or actual rock art? I can't remember & I sold my copy many moons ago.

In my edition (1999, has a close up of a shroom cut for printing on the cover) the image is credited to his partner Kat, and it says it's from the original in The Rock Paintings of The Tassili, 1963.

newimprovedwinkonclear.gif