The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SunChaser

The endless obstacle of depression

You see, a lot of people see depression as a weakness, or even a self inflicted lack of motivation.

Honestly though, for me I think the cause is just a realistic view of life. I mean no psychological mind game or organized religion has managed to convince me that there is any logical purpose for us being here. The meaning of life to me is simple, this part of the universe has the right chemistry to create life so there for we are here, it's that simple! There's no higher purpose for any of us. 

Although, life being a meaningless occurrence does not seem to be an issue for the majority of us. Since most people have the ability to connect and interact with each other in a way that is beneficial to them. They talk there shit, go to the footy, drink piss and flirt with each other so that they simply don't have any spare time to stop and ponder the complete lack reason of it all.

But what if you don't have the ability to be like that? What if you don't have one single person in the world who would ever want to ring ya, just to say g'day? Not because you've ever done anything to hurt anyone either, but just simply because they don't like ya.

The only person in the world that I ever had an actual connection with was my high school girlfriend, who hang around for 10 years until she started disappearing every Friday night and would turn up sometime on saturday morning passed out in the hallway. This went on for probably a few years till I had a complete mental breakdown, quit my job and was totally bed ridden. Apparently that was to much for her, so she just packed up everything 'we' owned (I was way to far gone to even consider arguing over materialistic objects) and just walked away without ever looking back, I was left in a empty house with nothing but a bed, an old tv, a frying pan and some cutlery. Haven't seen her since.

So getting back to having a realistic view of life, I am fully aware that that was my only chance to have someone around me that I feel a connection to. So the best possible scenario for me now is to end up a lonely old man on the pension in some commission house with nothing to care about except my little garden.

At least I've still got that naughty little notorious plant to keep me company and to help convert my anger to sadness, I would honestly have been locked up ages ago if I didn't have her(B) to help me just relax and let it be.

Anyway, don't really know what my full purpose of writing this was, but I feel like telling someone how I feel, no one else will listen, but I guess you guys don't have a choice, lol.

Anyway, life goes on and I'm sure there's a lot of better people out there that have it far worse than me. Also summers coming, so the sun has to come out eventually, at least that's one of those meaningless occurrences I can enjoy.

Oh well, peace, health and happiness to ya all.

Peace

why do people feel there needs to be a meaning for life? is the fact that it exists at all justification enough? i suppose i would be classed as one of those "no friends" types, i live on my own and have virtually no contact with so-called "real people" other than professionally or as a cursory interaction when at the shops or whatever. but thats fine for me, when i lived with people i was prone to believing paranoid delusions i'd form about them, even set some of their property on fire because it was somehow bought to "get me". they didn't like that lol. i think you're giving to much emphasis to what you think you should be, instead of just being what you are. there's times i too think i should be more like the "normals" because thats what everyone seems to be, ut then i think fuck it, i am what i am. you should get a cat.

Anyway, life goes on and I'm sure there's a lot of better people out there that have it far worse than me.

i also think thats crap. no one persons suffering is any more or less important than anothers. i also hate summer. but i have no aircon.

I think depression sets in when you realise you spend more time thinking of the reasons for not doing things than actually thinking about doing them.

• Like 1

Im not really convinced by the higher purpose ideal for humans but that in itself can be liberating. One less thing to think about. You can go about your life doing things that are important or fun for you without thinking about serving something higher.

AS for human connection there are very few people that I am close to that are not my family and I spend a lot of time alone. This is not something im totally comfortable with but spending too much time around people reminds me of the positives of a secluded life :P

I do think that my reduced social interaction is something I create rather than a set system. You are not gonna find close human connection sitting at home on the net or gardening and not talking to anyone. The other side is people that do find it hard to make meaningful connection with others often find it very hard to put themselves in situations that open them up to possible connection so it kind seclusion feeding more seclusion.

If being on the pension, growing your things and not interacting with people is comfortable with you then why not do it?

I think many people are mislead by this idea we are told from a young age that we can be anyone or anything we want. Not everyone can be something important or something society looks up to. The world need 'nobodies' so the somebodies have something to contrast themselves against

• Like 1

but then i think fuck it, i am what i am. you should get a cat.

Haha man, that hilarious.

I know what it's like with depression and anxiety, heck I suffer from em' both day to day. I understand when you say that there is no true meaning to the universe, because there truly isn't. But I say to myself 'shit happens' and I carry on with this life.

Fuck man, if there's anyway I can help, feel free to pm me sometime, even just to chat about shit that's going on.

In the meantime man, take a hit and relax.

Peace.

yeh man i get the ups and downs, its the best and the worst.. only advice at this time of night would be have faith in transformative power of education, countermovent against meaningless is creativity, construct your own conception of how things are, don't accept other peoples image of reality at the expense of being able to make a better one. the act of acting changes the nature of the actor. think about it. but you can't think your way into a new way of acting but you can act your way into a new way of thinking. also smoking flowers alot i've found can be bad for ups and downs and getting the jitters. Good luck bro

• Like 1

Although, life being a meaningless occurrence does not seem to be an issue for the majority of us. Since most people have the ability to connect and interact with each other in a way that is beneficial to them. They talk there shit, go to the footy, drink piss and flirt with each other so that they simply don't have any spare time to stop and ponder the complete lack reason of it all.

I was just thinking about this this morning,

although the majority of society is seemingly content with talking shit, going to the footy, drinking piss and flirting, and on the surface appear to be happy, really they are shit scared of the world they are living in and they are too in as much pain and sorrow. But they don't want to accept that life can be really hard and they aren't coping, so they put up walls of fake fulfillment and continuously try to trick themselves into believing that they are happily living 'the good life'.

The difference between yourself and them is that you have taken the time to look at the conundrum we are all in and in that you show your strength, you have turned around the face the beast and to accept the world, for that i give you my full respect.

I also really agree on the get a cat comment, my cat brings so much joy into my life i wouldn't be the same without her.

Animals love without judgment, and so do plants, start there and work your way up, there are many people in the world we just need to reach out to each other.

Depression is a hazard of the times we live in, but do not let it limit your view of your self, our thoughts and lives are in a constant state of flux, you can and if you want to, will move forward from this.

Hey Jabez,

I met you at the Ottways camp last year and I thought you were a really interesting guy. A bit intense, but generally good fun and with some really interesting ideas. Just thought I'd put that out there as there are surely other people who dig you too.

I mean no psychological mind game or organized religion has managed to convince me that there is any logical purpose for us being here. The meaning of life to me is simple, this part of the universe has the right chemistry to create life so there for we are here, it's that simple! There's no higher purpose for any of us. 

My take on this is:

If there's no meaning to life and we're just machines created by genes in order to help them live forever and our consciousness is merely a construct to enable this machine that we are function more effectively then... we can do whatever we want. If you want to smoke pot all day every day - do it. If you want to shag inanimate objects - do it. If you want to meditate - do it. If you want to travel around the country living out of your backpack - do it (which you did, which is awesome).

Life could be a test set for us by a god or it could be that life is just shit a lot of the time - I don't know. Enjoy the bits where it's not shit - that's really the only part we've got control over.

Anyway, hope you come good.

Peace.

• Like 1

Hey Jabez

Good to see you posting again bro. I met you at the Otways camp and I agree with Rabeal, interesting guy and you gave me a good laugh.

Anyway I was thinking about this the other night, how you're saying life is meaningless. Before humans and counciousness, there was just cause and effect. But I would say we've created meaning over thousands of years and hence another aspect of the universe, possibly a councious universe or a collective counciousness, "God" or whatever you would like to call it.

Getting distracted, I've had trouble making friends my whole life bro. To introverted and constantly evaluating my relationships with people and the quality of interection. I have fucking envied people who can just strike up conversation with randoms and feel comfortable. I couldn't care less about the AFL and people realise that I think they might feel awkward, like they have to think about things they can talk to me about and get stressed in the process.

What's meaningless to someone could be what life is all about for another. So your life has meaning. But I like Rabeals idea, that if life is meaningless do whatever you want. There's no point worrying. You've already worked out the meaning of life, that there is none. That's the ultimate truth man.

Surprisingly enough, I do get told I'm a intense person form time to time. I often get told by family members and such that I should just not be so opinionated about things. In other words there saying, we'd probably like ya if you acted like a completely different person! lol.

It never ceases to amaze me how people act like it should be such an easy thing for me to just act more like them.

btw, "just do what you want", exactly. Fuck that soul draining 9 to 5 BS, I'm gonna go try kayak from Queensland back to Vic. Then I'd be slowly traveling south though some amazing country just as those long hot summer days are kicking in.

Anyway, thanks for all the interesting opinions. lol, I think I just take life far to seriously when I'm not toking 4 grams and 30 cigarettes a day. It's because of my lungs and the constant stress of harassment from self meditating when I refuse to contribute my money to the illegal drug trade, which can't go on.

Peace

Edited by jabez

My wife's sister was described to me as a very 'full-on' person.

Turned out she is lovely and means well but by fuck she is annoying LOL. Some people just dont get that their behaviour effects everyone around them.

Not saying this applies here, just an observation in general.