The Corroboree
shortly

Metals & Mycelium

I know this is gonna sound like an odd requests but here gos anyway.

Can anyone think of or recommend an easily obtainable metal that is non toxic to fungi, electrically conductive and preferably non corrosive.

A huge ask i know, but with all the expertise around here i figure this is a good ask.

Are you offering a KG or 2?

failing that at $1600 on Oz that might be a touch expensive.

Aluminium would be good....or copper..... depending on the environments you are playing with. Both easily obtainable in large quantities, conducting etc but copper is a bit reactive.

What you up to???

Stainless-steel? I don't know if it's toxic to fungi though. All metals conduct electricity too, but you probably meant high conductivity.

I'll bite.......what's it for?

Edited by einseins

Copper is highly toxic to most, probably all fungi Bongchitis, i'm not sure about ally? Its a bit reactive in acidic environments like the inside of an actively growing Myc bag but its still worth lookin into.

Your right Einseins all metals are conductors to some extent, and yes i meant high conductivity. sorry i was being as clear as mud as usual.

Exelent looks like 304 Stainless Steel piano wire might be worth a try :worship: thanks guys

Year 11 homeschool science experiment :rolleyes:

indeed wat are you up to im interested,sounds cool

Platinum would definately be the go, now i just need a lotto win LOL

I was going to waffel on what the aim is & the process but i think I'll just post picks with the results, one way or the other in the comming weeks.

The kids can bloodywell write it up them selves this time, i'm sick of doing half the work for them :slap:

I dont think 304 stainless is what you want if you have a look at the link below it is down near the bottom of the chart

Do you need wire if so what sort of thickness do you need?

I am thinking tungsten electrode used for tig welding you can get them in 1.6mm 2.4mm and 3.2mm and about 150 long

If you can get away with aluminium you can get 99% to 95% pure wire used in welding and metal spraying in 1.6, 2.4 and 3.2mm

Hope thats of some help

Conductive materials

Cheers

Got

Edited by GoOnThen

Does it really need to be that conductive? Also, a stainless steel wire with a diameter 7 times that of a silver one will have the same resistance, so you have to factor the dimensions into it if it's ultimately the low resistance and not resistivity that you're interested in.

Thanks GOT tungsten electrodes are actually a very good idea but i might keep it as a last resort simply due to their rigidity & short length making them awkward to work with plus i don't have any left.

I was just reading

"Abiotic pathogen suppression: physiology and biology of aluminum toxicity to soil borne fungi" Author: Fichtner, Elizabeth Jeanne: North Carolina State University

Which concerned me a little so I've got a couple of lengths of Ally wire in the pc as i type ready to go on agar & get inoculated to see if it causes any noticeable toxicity on a plate or 3.

I've seen mycelium eat through aluminium trays (multiple times). I'm not sure how many types of fungi do this.