The Corroboree
poisonshroom

Duboisia hopwoodii (pituri) and D. myoporoides growlog

Hey everyone - I'v been working on this for a couple of months now and I think its time for everyone to see my results so far =]

All up I had a bit over 50% germination, with 4 of the Duboisia myoporoides and 6 D. hopwoodii surviving.

The D. myoporoides seeds were from herbalistics, and the pituri from ferret (apparently collected in eastern S.A).

12/4/11: 12 D. hopwoodii and 12 D. myoporoides seeds were soaked in 1000ppm gibberellic acid (50mg dissolved in 50ml water) and covered in foil. The dishes were marked because the seeds are almost identical in appearance.

gallery_6534_456_15051.jpg

gallery_6534_456_22430.jpg

gallery_6534_456_1674.jpg

13/4/11: Both lots of seeds were dried on paper towel and planted into punnets of 6 (2 seeds per cell) approximately 5mm deep and the punnets were labeled and placed inside next to a window that receives some morning and afternoon sun. Daytime temperatures were around 30*c and about 20*c minimum at night. Regular commercial seed raising mix was used for both species.

gallery_6534_456_14395.jpg

27/4/11: 1 of each species had germinated - the seedlings were tiny (aprox 2mm high) and fragile looking with the seed coat still attached. D. hopwoodii could be distinguished by its dark red stem (D. myoporoides was whiteish green).

gallery_6534_456_44430.jpg

gallery_6534_456_6606.jpg

8/5/11: 7 of each had germinated. Some of the seed coats had fallen off and a couple were carefully removed manually to determine whether it would have any effect on the health of the seedlings (apparently it didn't).

gallery_6534_456_64107.jpg

gallery_6534_456_37151.jpg

gallery_6534_456_10018.jpg

9/5/11: Both punnets were moved outside under shade cloth, but still received lots of morning sun (until around 11am when the sun moved above the shade cloth.

24/5/11: 1 of each species perished. 1 of each still had seed coats attached.

gallery_6534_456_29250.jpg

gallery_6534_456_1097.jpg

5/6/11: Disaster :o the punnet containing the D. myoporoides fell off the table it was on :ana: but I managed to save 4, and planted them into larger individual pots with premium potting mix (commercial)

30/6/11: Repotted the D. hopwoodii seedlings into the same sized individual pots as the D. myoporoides. Interestingly during the transplant one of the pituri lost most of its roots, but I planted it anyway - it didnt seem to suffer any ill effects except for slight wilting. I wasnt expecting it to live long, but its still alive now (it may be the smallest one though - I cant be sure because I didnt bother with marking it to keep track. The pituri was repotted in a mixture of equal parts premium potting mix and sandy garden soil, along with 2 handfuls of medium grain, smooth fish tank gravel.

gallery_6534_456_3019.jpg

gallery_6534_456_18029.jpg

10/7/11: 2 D. hopwoodii were moved into almost full sun to test whether they can handle it. Minimal wilting was observed during the day and temperatures were still in the high 20's- low 30's during the day, but down to around 15*c at night with the occasional cold snap (as low as 7*c for a couple of nights). Also during these colder periods the days would be windy usually around 25*c or lower (wind chill).

gallery_6534_456_62822.jpg

3/8/11: Remaining D. hopwoodii seedlings were moved into the same position as the 2 that were placed in full sun (which were thriving).

Sometime during august one pituri was repotted into the deep terracotta (unglazed) pot thats in the picture, and it seems to be growing much faster and branching more than the others. The reason for choosing such a deep pot is because after putting the others into the individual pots they quickly started to poke their roots through the drainage hole (by quickly I mean a week or two), indicating they probably have a taproot, which is consistent with what Iv read about how they live in nature (on top of sand dunes, with deep taproots to access underground water). The soil used in the deep pot was much sandier than the smaller ones and course river sand was used for that purpose along with extra (sharp) gravel.

I was actually pretty surprised at how easy it was to germinate the pituri and keep the seedlings alive - also surprising was how quickly they germinated... most reports Iv read they have taken months, with very poor germination rates and even lower survival rates. I put my success down to a few external factors (as Im by no means an expert, and have my fair share of failure with other species - even ones that are considered easy to grow) - for example being late autumn-early winter when the seeds were planted would have replicated their natural environment fairly well (I live in Townsville, North QLD - winter is very dry with often blistering hot days and cool -even cold out my way- nights, usually with cold snaps that last around a week or so, and even the occasional light frost). The seeds were probably also very fresh, which would have helped.

All along I treated both species pretty much as I would any other seeds/seedlings, with no special watering regime. Seed trays were watered daily (sometimes more than once), but dried (at least on the surface) occasionally, and seedlings are watered most days, with fortnightly applications of seasol and powerfeed.

I was considering attempting a graft (pituri as the scion), but they dont seem to be having any trouble despite periods of heavy regular watering as well as occasional neglect for a few days (those small black pots get extremely hot in full sun too and even that doesnt seem to be doing any harm). I will be purchasing some eggplant and tomato seedlings to try out grafting some time soon, in case I decide I do want to try grafting the Duboisia's (Iv only ever grafted cacti before and not had all that much luck, so id like to try it out on something more expendable first).

This is them a couple of days ago:

gallery_6534_456_36781.jpg

gallery_6534_456_39016.jpg

gallery_6534_456_41097.jpg

gallery_6534_456_19571.jpg

The terracotta pot that the big one is in is about 40cm high

Thanks for looking everyone - all questions, suggestions etc are welcome :bong:

• Like 4

I am about to embark on a very similiar thing with the same seeds sourced from the same places.

I was just thinking about how to go about it today...nice timing

Tried growing dubosia from seed once before but hoping the Gibbarelic acid works a treat.

Where I am is a little cooler than you but shall see how it goes...

Good luck & thanks heaps for posting

That's awesome, I really want some plants... would anybody send one to the U.S.A.?

How rare are they?

Excellent progress poisonshroom, really good to see such success. Keep us posted as they grow!

nice work and thanks for sharing the experience!

would love to try my hand @ growing some pituri

Yours look lovely

Good luck alternate - They seem to be nice hardy plants once they get going a bit, so if you can get them to germinate you shouldnt have much trouble after that. Germination may take a long time according to some reports Iv read, so dont throw them out for at least a good 6 months if you dont see anything.

Teotz - not sure Id want to send one of these overseas, but seeds come up in the market place from time to time. They are very rare in cultivation (not so much D. myoporoides), but apparently not that uncommon in the wild. There habitat is generally hours away from civilization in the middle of the desert though, so seed collection is difficult and I havnt heard of any success with branch or root cuttings.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Ill definitely be updating regularly as the plants grow. Hopefully summer doesnt kill them (not sure how theyll go with like 3 months of solid rain like we tend to get here :scratchhead: )

Edited by poisonshroom

excellent work mate! stoked to see such good results. Those hopwoodii babies look as happy as they do out on the dunes, or even better! They seem to really be cranking along.

Really inspired to have another crack at those, using that kind of medium rather than fucking around with super sandy mixes like i did last time.

:drool2::worship:

Hahaha hey ferret! I was hoping you'd take a look B) I was pretty surprised they did as well as that, and they seem to be growing very fast indeed. Now its getting hotter the big one is really pumping out the lateral branches.

And I never bother with excessively sandy mixes as I find the surface becomes way too compact and doesnt allow drainage. I just wish I knew what I did that got so many to pop up and stay alive so I could pass it on to anyone else trying :lol:

Id love to be able to road trip it one day to see these guys in the wild, but I doubt that will happen for at least a few years. I sent a few seeds off to darren at herbalistics as well so hopefully some time at least some seed might be a bit more common (more plants to cross pollinate his ones with) and someone can discover the mechanism that these plants require for germination (maybe me - Im studying botany at uni :P )

Good luck :)

Edited by poisonshroom

You inspired me to give this a go to, but when I when to pull out my seeds, I couldn't find them. :(

Damn :huh: Same thing happened when I went to plant out some Acacia (vachellia) faranesiana seeds I got a while ago - I had heaps (like 40) and they completely disappeared from the face of the earth. I think a rat that was running around in my chill-out space ate them :uzi:

I might have a few spare I could send if you like, but I think I only have about 6 left. Ill have a look a bit later if you want.

Yeah, that would be sweet. I'll have a look again, just in case they are hiding somewhere. They must be somewhere! The same thing happened with some milk thistle seeds I had the other day. Got them out ready to sow them and then they disappeared completely! Can't find them for the life of me.

excellent writte up, poisonshroom!

and very informative, the pic's are super, i want what she/he is having, makes me wonna grow them again.

i once got some to germinate, but they died soon after....

Thanks planthelper B)

Iv heard that a lot of people have the problem where they die soon after germination (thats why I held off posting until they were a bit bigger) - I wish I knew why - barely any of mine died and I didnt really do anything special (except seasol and powerfeed fortnightly) and treat them the same as all my other plants.

Before they germinated they dried out a bit a couple of times, but I tried to spray every day if I was home, so they were usually moist at least to 1/2-1cm below the surface.

I also water most days (again depends if Im home and how busy I am, but pretty much every day). Now its heating up again they are usually dry by about lunch time the next day (I like to water in the afternoon). Tomorrow Ill go out and repot one in the morning if I have time and see whether any of the soil is moist.

Me gusta. Your plants are looking so happy! Keep us up to date with the grow!

Off-topic in the picture where you have your hand why is it so feminine and on your profile it says male D: I'm confused. If that's offensive in anyway ignore it.

Thank you =]

And yea hahaha Im wearing nail polish on that hand. I am a guy tho :blush:

• Like 1

Why not?

A much better question.

• Like 1

Yea - thats pretty much it B)

Anyway... back to the plants. I think as the humidity starts to go up here Ill probably put some inside near a window just in case the rain we get in summer is too much for them. Itll be good to compare the growth rates too. The D. myoporoides, being a rainforest spp, can stay outside though.

Im still debating whether to try out grafting or not too, but they all seem to be doing so well so Im not sure if itll be worth it (the pituri is actually growing faster and putting off more branches than the D. myoporoides)

• Like 1

Poison, do you know if these seeds are from the Mulligan river area where the aborigines apparently only ever took it from due to it's very low nor-nicotine content? I would be very interested to know.

Not too sure sorry - Ferret would be the one to ask about that as he's the one that sourced them. All I know is they are from eastern South Australia

Wow, very imperssive grow log. And I thought that a very sandy mix and dryness were a must... I've had some results with Ferret's seeds too, so I'm going to make a post about it. Congrats :drool2: