The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

The SAB giant pumpkin growing contest

Bahaha i can see it now

"the SAB giant pumpkin speed boat race"

• Like 3

lol, I think I'm winning atm. :lol:

Mine are almost done, just a couple more weeks left. No idea which strains though, got them from my neighbour, she had way too many seedlings.

post-10347-0-96360800-1317642925_thumb.j

post-10347-0-96360800-1317642925_thumb.jpg

post-10347-0-96360800-1317642925_thumb.jpg

How big are your suckers pennypacker?

Bout the size of a football, maybe a tad smaller. They're tiny compared to the giant sized thing I saw posted earlier, but at least these are edible. :P

If you want to grow them huge you have to prune the shit out of them, remove all sideshoots and male flowers, choose the best female flower to pollinate, remove all the other female flowers (except for a back up or something), use kilo's and kilo's of ferts, water excessively, build makeshift tents to protect them from the elements, etc. Full time job almost. I just let these go all over the place, turned out alright, got more pumpkins now than I can eat.

Top of soil is starting to lift for me should be seeing action soon

I just sowed mine today.

Is anyone growing the giant sunflowers as well? Ive got them and some giant tree tomatos on the go too.

Just wish I had some sunnier spots on the property

I got some sun king sunflowers in, they were started about 2 weeks before the comp though.

Ordered some sunzillas and Giant russian seeds off eBay early last week, still hasn't been shipped getting impatient!

But one of the sun kings is close to 50cm high though :)

Pumpkins are poking their heads out now :) once the weather stops being shit'll I'll move them outside.

yeah i got sunzillas and russian gaint sunflowers going too. although i dont expect much out of them. hillbillies grow good pumpkins, sunflowers not so much!

Got my Russian and sunzilla seeds today, also got some catnip, bridgesii and poppy 'wizard of oz' seeds off him, dude also chucked in some t. Macrogonus and lemon balm seeds :)

Here's the pumpkin progress

675ce78f.jpg

Because I do most of my SABing on phone I can't tell if the pics are coming out huge when I post, if they are let me know :)

Once they pop out the ground they seem to rocket a little, they we're only cracking the surface a couple days ago :)

Hillbilly, you got any photos of your seedlings with some sort of impromptu object in there for scale reference? :wink:

giant tree tomatos on the go too

Can you elaborate on what these are? Do you mean actual tomatoes, or tamarillos?

Theyre actual tomatos. A friend gave me a pack of them a while back. Snails have eaten the packaging a bit but I think I remember it saying that they'll grow up to 3 metres and fruit up to 1 kilo.

Wow! Do you have any spare seeds?

Theyre actual tomatos. A friend gave me a pack of them a while back. Snails have eaten the packaging a bit but I think I remember it saying that they'll grow up to 3 metres and fruit up to 1 kilo.

Seeds of a few varieties (4?) of tree tomatoes were provided free with a gardening magazine aout 18 months ago, in an attempt to "re-introduce" these uncommon seeds to the Australia market. My mum tried to grow some.

So far I haven't heard anyone actually growing these successfully.... low germination and weak plants mainly. Has you're friend tried to grow them yet? Any luck? I'm hoping for a success story somewhere which might encourage me to give it a go myself.

Edited by Alice

Sorry tripsis, no spare seeds left. I only had a few, the only survivor is in my greenhouse is quite big now and starting to fruit up so i'll save a bunch of seeds when theyre ready. They have a large unusual flower compared to most tomatoes.

Alice, yeah they did come in a pack with four varieties about 18 months ago but with only the one type of tree tomato. My friend hasnt grown them but mine is growing very well now spring has hit. I'm using the upside down bucket technique so i'm gonna have to tie up some supports for the big bugger.