The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

The SAB giant pumpkin growing contest

Hey all,

Lets have a massive pumpkin growing contest! Biggest pumpkin by an as yet to be set date wins bragging rights forever! I recon we go all out no rules! Hydroponic, horse steroids, Genetic modification, pumpkin doping anything that doesn't break the rules of the forum or the law in your state is allowed.

Lots of you guys recon you can grow like a legend, now is the time to prove it!

If you already have pumpkins in the ground all good, if you haven't you'd better get to it!

• Like 1

Liking this idea!

Me and my mate have sunflower growing comps every year it's awesome :)

Great idea for a thread Hillbilly!

I just got 10 Atlantic Giant Pumpkin seeds from a mate last week. They are Curcubita Maxima and apparently grow up to 318Kg+. Some of my mates grew them last year. I had a go last year but over watered mine.

I was planning on giving 6 seeds away to people on here that are interested in growing them. I'll start a new thread in the plant exchange for that so I don't clog this one up. Do you want one Hillbilly?

Any advise anyone can give for someone growing giant pumpkins for the first time would be much appreciated. My seed packet says to sow the seeds in Oct/Nov.

there is some cheap Atlantis seeds on ebay. i just grabbed 30

Edited by Bush Turkey

Giving pumpkin seeds to a hillbilly is the old coals to Newcastle thing LOL.

Lets get growing with weekly update pics!

there is some cheap Atlantis seeds on ebay. i just grabbed 30

Wow. They are cheap. Mine were $3 each. Apparently mine come from a group who take their pumpkins to the agricultural shows and say they have the best genetics.

Whoa! I'd be keen (because I'd no doubt win :P ) but there is one thing holding me back.... what the fuck do I do with a 300kg pumpkin? :blink:

I am quite serious. Impossible to eat through it all, it won't fit in the bin... will it just rot away and attract flies?

I think I like the idea of a sunflower competition better.

Not as yet, on uni break after today so I'll finally get some time out in the garden, pumpkins are now on the list ;) it's a pain setting up places to grow veggies because I got 4 dogs to contend with that absolutely love pissing on plants!!!

The sunnies on the other hand are about 25cm, this is the 3rd week they've been growing, got sun kings apparently they can grow to 4m, going for the gold!! Last year I got my yellow emperors to just over 2m.

EVERYBODY knows im gonna win :)

what the fuck do I do with a 300kg pumpkin? :blink:

I am quite serious. Impossible to eat through it all, it won't fit in the bin... will it just rot away and attract flies?

mass Pumkin soup! :P

• Like 2

Whoa! I'd be keen (because I'd no doubt win :P ) but there is one thing holding me back.... what the fuck do I do with a 300kg pumpkin? :blink:

I think I like the idea of a sunflower competition better.

Share it with all your friends and people in your street, a massive pumpkin would be an awesome thing for community spirit!

Lets grow sunflowers and pumpkins!

EVERYBODY knows im gonna win :)

You seriously think you can beat a hillbilly in a pumpkin growing contest?? PFT!!!

Man its in my genes just like this red neck!

• Like 1

ur a city boy. pretending to be a hillbilly ;)

leave the pumpkins to the country folk.

btw the facebook challenge still stands, and you WILL pay up.

Lets grow sunflowers and pumpkins!

Now that sounds like a plan. Everyone has room for a sunflower. What is the variety with the biggest/widest "flower"? There are some Russian Giants on ebay now, grow to 50cm wide aparently. That's pretty big!

So do these 300kg pumpkins still taste ok? I know some other vege's that grow massive are not quite so tasty if they get too big.

I've got to admit there is something quite awesome about a haloween pumpkin head big enough to hide inside. I can just imagine putting out on the front lawn, and those nosey kids (who knock down all my agapanthas flowerheads on their way to school) come to have a closer look... and... poke! Right in the eye! Mwaha haa :devil: Like this:

So do these 300kg pumpkins still taste ok? I know some other vege's that grow massive are not quite so tasty if they get too big.

Apparently the strain I have you can't eat. They just grow them competitively.

ur a city boy. pretending to be a hillbilly ;)

leave the pumpkins to the country folk.

btw the facebook challenge still stands, and you WILL pay up.

Oh its on now biatch, on like donkey kong!

Ha, hilarious idea. I'll be growing pumpkins, but not the giant ones. I'd rather grow for food than absurd size. If I had a massive yard though, I'd do it for fun.

Man its in my genes just like this red neck!

Your avatar indicates you actually have a white and furry neck.

'Hydroponic, horse steroids, Genetic modification, pumpkin doping'

im in sounds fun :lol: . no seeds in yet but im on to it

not sure if this has been said already,...start a biggest san pedro growing contest in the cactus forum........ who can get their cacti JACKED in as little amount of time.

• Like 1