The Corroboree
Stillman

mY cacti collection

I currently don't have a big collection and alot of what I keep is cacti that I have found that I think is pleasing to the eye,

but I do have a couple interesting E pachanoi hybrids that I look forward to growing out.

Gymnocalycium denudatum

DSCF2003.jpg

Some sort of Echinopsis hybrid

DSCF2011.jpg

Labeled as lobivia

DSCF2010.jpg

Unknown

DSCF2009.jpg

Unknown

DSCF2006.jpg

Unknown

DSCF2002.jpg

and my two recently received Echinopsis pachanoi

DSCF2013.jpg

DSCF2014.jpg

I like that Gymno a lot :)

Unknowns 1 & 3 are a Mammillaria species. I was going to say M. boscana but not so sure after looking at my plants.

2 is a Uebelmannia species?

Oh and welcome to the forum biggrin.gif

Do you grow any plants apart from cacti?

I grow a bit of everything a lot of mexican herbs and culinary plants. Chillis, tomatillos, epazote. My brother in law and I are starting a fair collection or more interesting stuff you guys might be interested in.

The Gymnos are cool it produces a heap of pups they do really well in my climate if you keep them out of full sun.

I think I have specimens of all these cacti (great minds think alike!). The one above the Pachanoi looks like Mammillaria Bombycina. I love its curved spines - what an amazing adaptation!

I think I have specimens of all these cacti (great minds think alike!). The one above the Pachanoi looks like Mammillaria Bombycina. I love its curved spines - what an amazing adaptation!

Durrr thats the one I meant, not M. boscana.

rolleyes.gif

Mammillaria Bombycina. cool it is an amazing looking cacti, Went and bought a few more today, they are truely Alien looking plants.

the potting media looks like it has lots of coir in it. Too much moisture can be a rotting problem.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines for the top two, but its hard for me to tell - I'm no expert on cactus soils, I just use pre-made cactus soil.

yep your right the two top pics are complete canna coco media Its an experiment They are roughly 6 cm deep in media which in the hot house takes around 4 days to dry out completely. I think in summer I might see some beneficial growth and in winter I will keep it completely dry. I'm not saying I'm going to see great results but I am a massive canna cocco fan and I was curious as to how it will work. I also have 1 E pachanoi in cocco and one in traditional mix both running quarter strength nutes over summer to see how it fly's. I read somewhere that it has been done in controlled environments, because it is an opened door mini hothouse inside a greenhouse the heat should be there to pull it off and it will not get any extra unwanted water/ moisture. If I can get great growth than it will be justified I think.

the potting media looks like it has lots of coir in it. Too much moisture can be a rotting problem.

i thought coco coir makes the soil more airy thus not holding moister for a very long period .......???

This is also true Philocacti I love coco canna best and simplest hydroponic system. Whether it can be adapted to cacti is yet to be seen.