The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shortly

Help from any Papuans, Kiwis or Pacific Islanders out there

I'm after Cordyline fruticosa traditional edible 'Ti'

I’ve been asking around Oz & it seems we do have the "wild type" Cordyline fruticosa the type the Papuans & Polynesians grow, but it appears likely to be all a single clone, as everyone gives the same description of early stages of senescence.

So I’m hoping one of our members In Papua, NZ or the pacific islands might be able to help me out with some fresh seed?

Happy to either trade or $’s

The other edible Cordyline I wouldn’t having a play with is stricta if anyone has seeds, or cuts if your in aus

I haven't seen any seed available, and I am only just learning to tell various Cordyline spp. apart - if I get anything though, I'll let you know. :)

There are heaps of different types of cordyline fruticosa cultivars in OZ. No way there all be from a single genetic line.

Thanks Mop

I realize that Harry, & that is exactly what i'm after. The old lines that were selected as a food crop as opposed to pretty foliage.

I appears that we may only have a single clone of one of the "wild" lines commonly available here, along with hundreds of ornamental clones.

plz correct me if i'm wrong but, I was under under the impression that Cordyline stricta was the more common in NZ with lots of diversity & fruticosa being a more recent import?

And yes i am deliberately ignoring all the other Cordys NZ has, since they either aren't edible &/or probably wont like growing in the warm subtropics.

From Andrew Crowe's Native Edible NZ Plants:

• No mention of stricta

• Cordyline terminalis (syn. fruticosa) was imported from the pacific islands and raised by Maori, but is now fairly rare.

• Blanched heart shoot and young leaf bases of C. australis, C. banksii, C. indivisa have all been recorded as being eaten by Maori.

• C. indivisa apparently does not contain bitter sap and was the most highly regarded.

:)

Thanks for that Bluntmuffin

Extremely interesting, even if i'm still not a lot closer to my goal.

I cant remember where i read about stricta, i really need to start keeping notes of references i stumble across :BANGHEAD2:

I recall reading somewhere that Cordyline terminalis, C fruticosa and a few others were most likely only ancient selected varieties of ancestral species, now i will be up all night racking my brain trying to remember where i read that.