The Corroboree
Yawning Man

Chili Peppers

Hey gang

I just put some Cayenne Pepper (Capsicum annuum) seeds in, heaps more if anyone is interested. Who's growing this year? It's still a bit cold but i'm utilising the green house.

For the grower, what varieties, soil types, fertilisers and recipes do you love/find work great. I'd love to grow a whole heap of different varieties, specially those that kick you in the face. So if anyone has any seed they want to trade give us a bell..pepper lole.

I will upload photos in the future months to show you how they are going.

cheers

Edited by Yawning Man

This is my second season growing chillis so I can't give you much advice on what ferts to use etc. Mine did great in rich potting mix/some dirt from the chicken run with some vermiculite/perlite and rainwater.

You said you were looking for a strong chilli, I believe there is a new hottest chilli, the trinidad scorpian or something. Hotter than naga jolokia.

This year I am excited about growing

Chilli Willy:

bell_shaped_chili.jpg?1269540225

Bell pepper similar to this:

caps_16.jpg

This year i overwintered Aji Pineapple, Chocolate Habenero and Jalapeno.... all just starting to come on.

Can't go wrong with chillis. Good potting mix, decent water regime and plenty of sun... never failed me yet.

I have also grown Pasilla, Thai hot (birds eye), White Jellybean Habenero and the rainbow ones from bunnings. The 3 above are the ones that made me want to grow them again.

Will never grow Trinidad scorpion et al, just too hot and are very dangerous in the wrong hands.

Cheers chilli heads.

rocoto capsicum pubescens the black seeded chilli would be a good one down your way, it's a bolivian species that does well in cold, is a sorta viney/branchy tree, from memory can get to 15ft, pretty sure the italian mob i sourced my seed off was growing it on a flat wall trellis, their branching is flat like that at times. i don't know if i've got seed anymore, will check soon. anyhoo gotta run.

Planted a naga pc 1 in winter and something else a month before this year and they sprouted just before the cold hit. The naga pc 1 grew quite slow and is only about 5cm high while the 'something else' (could be naga pc 1/black dragon/long red chilli) went insane and is covered in flowers with fruit rearing nit's head as i type :) I have a few other types i am growing but have just sprouted le pièce de résistance - The Trinidad Scorpion Butch T.

Pretty keen to see this mother flower.

Will never grow Trinidad scorpion et al, just too hot and are very dangerous in the wrong hands.

in what ways? ive just got seedlings coming up of the trinidad scorpion.

got bhut jolokia and choc habenero seedlings coming up as well.

love the flavour of the jolokias, a tiny bit in a spag bol is the bomb!

I've got a Naga Jolokia (reconsidering if it really is one though, time will tell), Birds eye, Yellow cayenne (germinating) and a chilli that was given to me, not sure as to what it is.

I'm planning on expanding the chili garden a fair bit this spring, will hopefully put down:

Jalapeno

Anaheim

Aji panca

Ancho

Red cayenne

Depending on how things go, anyway.

got bhut jolokia and choc habenero seedlings coming up as well.

love the flavour of the jolokias, a tiny bit in a spag bol is the bomb!

You dont see how 1.4 million scovilles could be dangerous to a young family let alone my sensitive areas? Chemical burns anyone? Ever get habs in your eyes or your lady bits? They are just too hot for my tastes to the point of being not worth growing.

those birds eye chilly plants, grow everywhere at my place, as the obviously get probagated by birds...

they are quite hot, i can only use two of them for cooking one meal, and have to make sure to remove all seeds.

they grow like a weed here!! no work needed!!!

i put down heaps of chilli this year have had pretty mucha ll of em come up, in semi-decent potting mix with some gogo juice and miracle grow now and then. This year i am growing the following :-

• Capsicum Frutescens (razamatazz)
  • Habanero
  • choc habanero
  • peruvian white habanero
  • yellow scotch bonnett
  • red scotch bonnet
  • bhut jolokia
  • cayenne
  • unknown capsicum annum

all have had reasonable germ rates. If anyone has any other varieties and are keen for a trade let me know

Edited by DarkSpark

In a bit of a rush but, Fuck yeah. So good to see so many enthusiasts growing. I can't believe it's taken me this long to get onto them.

Quickly, if anyone has some trinidad scorpion seed they want to trade pm me! I'd love to grow them!

peace

You dont see how 1.4 million scovilles could be dangerous to a young family let alone my sensitive areas? Chemical burns anyone? Ever get habs in your eyes or your lady bits? They are just too hot for my tastes to the point of being not worth growing.

Yes 'nito, you certainly don't want chili in your girlie bits,:lol: . I was buying chili seeds from ebay, and the seller had a warning that gloves and goggles should be worn when handling some of the HOT varieties. I ended up getting some' Butch T' or what ever they are calling them, and the seller claims that they are the worlds hottest!?! . At a recent SAB plant meet, a girl ended up at the hospital as she had an anaphylactic response to some chili that was offered around. Yeah, pretty full on the ole chillies hey!

yeah there is a decent amount of reports from people eating super hots and spewing, losing taste for days and allergic reactions. People seem to not believe it just because its a natural plant

hah yeah that whole natural thing is funny, such naive people, i remember hearing about a fella who somehow drank fertiliser, but after the realisation of, thought he'd be 100% fine 'cause it was organic hahaha

i've had a quite severe allergic reaction to a green chilli in india, the heat was ridiculous but for at least a few days i was covered head to toe in red welts/rash, which really isn't much fun in indian humidity, heat and crowds. The fella i knew there would eat two of these a day instead of taking malaria tablets.

fair enough. i giot fairly burned by a bhut jolokia, and considering the scorpion is even hotter i can see how they could injure an inquisitive toddler.

after packing up some red habs for fellow corroboree members one time earlier this year, i thoroughly washed my hands and went to bed...

due to the stark cold of winter, my hands soon found there way down to the warmth of my scrotum, which then preceded to fire up like a volcano and felt like my nuts were pulsating for 2 hours and that was off habeneros...

I (and my testicles) cringe at the thought of the pain that the likes of Dorsets,Trins, Nagas and Bhuts could inflict!

My current list as follows

Red Habenero (Beechmont)

Orange Habenero

Bhut Jolokia

Dragon Blood

Peruvian Purple / Purple Prince

Inferno

Julies(birds eye)

Jalapeño

Bhut Jolokia PC-1 Tezpur

Naga Morich

Thai Bird’s Eye

Rainbow Chilli

Sweet Temptation

Tabasco

Yellow Cayenne (on way)

Have seeds of several ready to trade, and all should seed within a few months (ive been babying them through winter in greenhouses)

If you can get out to Nerang Gold Coast, then I have established plants of several of my chili species in pots ready to go.... Bhut Jolkia (Ghost pepper),Dragon Blood, Red Habenero, inferno, birds-eye(Julie)(very prolific)

Will sell for a few dollars each, or trade for a chili i don't have (the hotter or quirkier the better)

If you see a type you want but don't have a chili or coin to trade, then just pm me, as there is a plethora of plants and herbs that im also chasing!

Thanks guys

2Deep

Edited by 2Deep2Handle

i didnt want to go there, but now that you have pioneered... i cut up three bhut jolokia chillis for a spag bol, washed my hands, washed the dishes, then sat down and watched some tv, and dare i say it, my hands as well made thier way to my scrotum, not even remembering the chillis. wave after wave of heat pulsated through said scrotum, gaining in intensity. i remembered a dudesons episode where one of them sprayed chilli in a bottle up one of their asses when they where taking a dump, which nulled the pain. so their i sat with my scrotum in a glass of milk for a looong time. milk really does seem to reverse the chilli burn.

after packing up some red habs for fellow corroboree members one time earlier this year, i thoroughly washed my hands and went to bed...

due to the stark cold of winter, my hands soon found there way down to the warmth of my scrotum, which then preceded to fire up like a volcano and felt like my nuts were pulsating for 2 hours and that was off habeneros...

I (and my testicles) cringe at the thought of the pain that the likes of Dorsets,Trins, Nagas and Bhuts could inflict!

My current list as follows

Red Habenero (Beechmont)

Orange Habenero

Bhut Jolokia

Dragon Blood

Peruvian Purple / Purple Prince

Inferno

Julies(birds eye)

Jalapeño

Bhut Jolokia PC-1 Tezpur

Naga Morich

Thai Bird’s Eye

Rainbow Chilli

Sweet Temptation

Tabasco

Yellow Cayenne (on way)

Have seeds of several ready to trade, and all should seed within a few months (ive been babying them through winter in greenhouses)

If you can get out to Nerang Gold Coast, then I have established plants of several of my chili species in pots ready to go.... Bhut Jolkia (Ghost pepper),Dragon Blood, Red Habenero, inferno, birds-eye(Julie)(very prolific)

Will sell for a few dollars each, or trade for a chili i don't have (the hotter or quirkier the better)

If you see a type you want but don't have a chili or coin to trade, then just pm me, as there is a plethora of plants and herbs that im also chasing!

Thanks guys

2Deep

Duuude. Send me all the ones you have that i don't and ill do the same. Will be back down on holidays in a few weeks i think, only there for a day though :(

I had the crappest luck yesterday. One of my shelves in my greenhouse broke and threw my nicely arranged in seedling trays of chillis into a pile on the floor :( all mixed up, so they are in communal pots now and i will just grow them and ID as they mature and fruit :) only ones i could tell apart were the purples LOL (i think you gave me the seeds 2deep not sure what they actually are though?)

i didnt want to go there, but now that you have pioneered... i cut up three bhut jolokia chillis for a spag bol, washed my hands, washed the dishes, then sat down and watched some tv, and dare i say it, my hands as well made thier way to my scrotum, not even remembering the chillis. wave after wave of heat pulsated through said scrotum, gaining in intensity. i remembered a dudesons episode where one of them sprayed chilli in a bottle up one of their asses when they where taking a dump, which nulled the pain. so their i sat with my scrotum in a glass of milk for a looong time. milk really does seem to reverse the chilli burn.

I think like anyone who has grown a cacti will be pricked by it at LEAST once, every man who grows a chilli will end up scratch his nuts or go to the toilet after handling them at least once, although with the hotter varieties you might learn pretty quick smart.

We have this weird "steel soap" that when you rub it over your hands it gets rid of onion or garlic smell, pretty nifty. I wonder if using this would help to remove any chilli on your hands that hasn't come off as i am pretty sure. I don't much feel like experimenting the theory though xD

Anywho enough rambling for now.

oh yeah, i have a serious love/hate relationship with chillis..

this year i have a whole heap of seedlings coming along, have kicked my cactus seedlings from out of the growbox and have the chillis under fluros which they love (>30degrees in there after a few hours).

off the top of my head

red, white, choc and orange habaneros

aji crystal, aji lemon

trinidad scorp

tobago sesasoning

7 pod/pot

NagaBon

naga morich

a yellow "naga"

tabasco

jalapeno

black hungarian

ping

solar flare

aribibi gusano

(i have a dangerously large stockpile of naga morich seed if anyone wants some!)

Count me in, ive been growing the chillies for a while, have a few strains but not sure what their names are.

no probs pm me your addy

also have a decent amount of orange hab seed for anyone interested, pm me an address

pm'd

I am keen to get an assortment of chilli, pepper and herb/veg seeds so anyone with some for trade or sale let me know PLEASE !