The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PsillyBean

Twisty Cacti

I got a top cut of one of these a few years ago; it's seeded twice now.

Who woulda thunk somebody wanted the seeds :wink:

And fwiw EG, offsets off the twisted stem exhibit normal growth.

http://th244.photobucket.com/albums/gg39/dadapiero/th_Mammillariaelongatacrestata_2009-06.jpg

http://photobucket.com/images/Brain%20Cactus/

Brain cactus, looser.

But yours is better looking by at least 100 times.

Seeds are hard to grow.

3 years too long to see a plant.

So most people just get a full grown one like lithops or a side branch of lets say a San Pedro.

Edited by devance

Apparently this plant has been crossed with cereus peruvianus to generate seed which does display the twisty trait. I couldn't resist for $18AU for 30 seeds delivered, I guess I will find out in a couple of years time.

Hi Bongchitis, i´d very interested to find out if this is true or just marketing. Maybe you can graft the seedlings to speed things a little bit up? As i said, in case of many cultivars, the seed produced Offspring grows normally. I would love to grow that one in greater numbers but dont want to waste lots of money just to get normal cereus peruvianus seedlings. bye EG

I will graft these and if successful will distribute throughout the SAB community and put the updates here. If I fail I will lament the time and money wasted.

I will send you one straight up EG if all is well.

I will graft these and if successful will distribute throughout the SAB community and put the updates here. If I fail I will lament the time and money wasted.

I will send you one straight up EG if all is well.

Definitely keep us updated mate, that is where i got my seeds(30)from, started(inside,heatmat etc.) 29/7/2011 and still nothing showing.

That is one very awesome cactus.

With luck, this one of interbeing's will keep the trait, though I suppose it's not likely seeing as twisting isn't all that uncommon in seedlings.

med_gallery_5030_239_278254.jpg

I got a top cut of one of these a few years ago; it's seeded twice now.

Thats awesome Zelly, would love to see some pics?

I really doubt that the spiraling would be passed down if you grow them from seed. Would love to hear first hand experiences though. Im pretty sure one of the reasons this cultivar is more expensive as others is because it needs to be propagated by cuttings. bye Eg

From the Cactus-Art site.

A seedling:

Cereus_forbeesii_spiralis_seedling_810.jpg

What a stunning plant

Just bought some seeds.

Hopefully mine will be just as beautiful.

Update:

I planted 20 of the 30 seeds and they have started to germinate. Only 3 so far but they are healthy and strong so I expect a good germination rate. Used standard take away tek without sterilisation. I will post some pics in a week or so when more come up. Fingers crossed. Now that I have a positive result I will send you the other 10 EvilGenius.

8 germinated and looked very healthy until a day of 38 degC sun after being moved, for christmas festivities, by the missus.... all dead! I have 10 left that I was going to send to EG but I will plant these out myself now... sorry EG!

• Like 1

I have 10 left that I was going to send to EG but I will plant these out myself now... sorry EG!

lol yeah, no problem. But keep uns informed. ;)

That is one very awesome cactus.

With luck, this one of interbeing's will keep the trait, though I suppose it's not likely seeing as twisting isn't all that uncommon in seedlings.

a>

have a semi advanced seedling thats twisting aswell seems like it might terminate tho, the joys of growing from seed.

Yeah Spacemonk, thats the point when i start my schwärmerei about how much i love growing cacti from seeds as well. :wub:

Have a whole box of spiraling Trichos that i got from the SS Peru Trip 2009. Its a little bit early to tell because i dont know if they´ll survive but they all grow spiraling. Its awesome. So, wish me luck.

• Like 2

There is a C. peruvianus that grows similarly as well, and you can also try searching for 'tortuosus' instead of 'spiralis'

Yeah Spacemonk, thats the point when i start my schwärmerei about how much i love growing cacti from seeds as well. :wub:

Have a whole box of spiraling Trichos that i got from the SS Peru Trip 2009. Its a little bit early to tell because i dont know if they´ll survive but they all grow spiraling. Its awesome. So, wish me luck.

boooya :)

hope it goes well,

Have planted 5 seeds a few months ago with nothing showing up :(