The Corroboree

Hello all, I have been trying to grow some "black Russian" tomatoes in hanging baskets since early June. I started with 6 and was down to 2 in no time at all. In my haste to get them in I failed to read the part that stated "your tomatoes stem needs to be as thick as a pencil" so they did go in a bit under done. The constant swinging in the breeze snapped them off where they entered the basket. But 2 did survive...... They have been setting fruit but every one develops blight. I think it may be due to the water running down from the basket, down the plant and then on the ground. They seem very water inefficient to me as most of it runs straight through. They need a daily flooding or the leaves shrivel up from thirst. I have had constant fungal issues. I have been using copper oxyclhoride and lately I have been trying a spray of bicarb and water. They nearly go the distance but develop blight as they develop some colour. I've got some more ready to go in the baskets but wonder if I am wasting my time. Anyone had any success? Anyone have any tips on what I may do to combat the blight. It has me baffled. I never have had that much trouble growing then in the ground. I have cherry tomatoes in the ground going off everywhere. I have a huge veggie garden and everything, apart from a chilli bush with issues is thriving. :scratchhead: What am I doing wrong?

Maybe it is why I have seen the bags now for sale in the discount shops for $3.00..Maybe they would be good for strawberry's with a little modification..anyway, thanks for listening...any help would be appreciated.

Dolos....

Yeah i have never tried, but i think staking tomatoes arent really suited. Maybe smaller bush tomatoes like cherries or similar, they might work?

Agreed El presidente, Black russians are far too big for a hanging basket and you will not be able to keep them happy no matter how hard you try.

Those strawberry baskets are prone to issues also. You need a water retentive material as water just runs out of every orifice. The only thing i have grown with minimal issue in a hanging basket is a cactus.

Cheers

I think the upside down factor just got too fancy..

However,

planting in large hanging pots.. the normal way,

and then letting them trail over the sides..

this could work, with added benefit of gravity.

But u know, I dont stake my toms anyhow. Theyre a vine,

so let em sprawl. This works well where theres early frosts,

as it let fruits mature even as the vine cops it,

then at worst,

there's plenty for my favourite green tom pickles!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_purple

Cherokee purple is the name of a cultivar of tomato, unusual for the deep purple/red hue of its fruit. It was one of the first of the "black" color group of tomatoes. It is also unusual in being extremely popular for the sake of its flavor, instead of only its unusual color. Cherokee Purple tomatoes are beefsteak in style, with green "shoulders" across the top. They are also notable for having a dense, juicy texture, with small seed locules irregularly scattered throughout the flesh. The comparatively dark interior color is enhanced by the tendency of the seeds to be surrounded by green

I think hanging four feet in the air is the best way for havesting and growing..

I raised mine

in shopping cart with under foam rubberer scraps from a carpet place and did fine as the lining..

But the soil I used was supersoil from walmart.

So if you raise shopping cart 4 feet in the air it alot easier to pluck off the tomatoe and partial sun is not a problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_purple

Cherokee purple is the name of a cultivar of tomato, unusual for the deep purple/red hue of its fruit. It was one of the first of the "black" color group of tomatoes. It is also unusual in being extremely popular for the sake of its flavor, instead of only its unusual color. Cherokee Purple tomatoes are beefsteak in style, with green "shoulders" across the top. They are also notable for having a dense, juicy texture, with small seed locules irregularly scattered throughout the flesh. The comparatively dark interior color is enhanced by the tendency of the seeds to be surrounded by green

I think hanging four feet in the air is the best way for havesting and growing..

I raised mine

in shopping cart with under foam rubberer scraps from a carpet place and did fine as the lining..

But the soil I used was supersoil from walmart.

So if you raise shopping cart 4 feet in the air it alot easier to pluck off the tomatoe and partial sun is not a problem.

I gave up on them....they are now part of my compost heap. Black Russians do not like to hang...I,ve got some "Rogue de marmande" in the ground at the moment but I may give the hangers a go again later with some cherry types...

Thanks