The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
qualia

how should i plant this?

sorry for crap photos, it's a camera phone, the cutting is about 10cm diameter, and the little pup/root is about 1 inch long, 2-3cm diameter. should i bury it completely? (the pup/root), if so how far? theres an oh so slight tinge of green on it, it's bee sitting in the dark since before winter, cheers,,

post-8276-0-20319600-1315183235_thumb.jp

Image017.jpg

Image017.jpg

G'Day mate,

I reckon plant half submerged on its side with the pup pointing out of the ground or plant verticle with the pup at the top. When the large section roots the pup will get nutes from the section and the roots will shrivel and die and the pup will green up and grow as normal.

Cheers

I agree - don't plant any deeper than half way (vertical or horizontal), and don't bury the pup. That's what I'd do anyway. I would expect the plant to do better if it can photosynthesize.

cheers, i should mention the cutting is only about 12 cm long, i cut it in half when i got it to get 2 for one, and after several months in the open is looking a little worse for wear. i'll head down bunnings and get a new elongated pot and plant it long ways to see what happens. cheers.

I recently had great success planting a Pachanoi cutting only about 10cm long - its now thriving with a scop tip grafted onto it! I'm sure your cutting will pick up once it develops some roots. I'd leave it out of direct sunlight if I were you though.