The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Queensland Blue Squash heat tolerant?

This year I grew turban squash because I thought it was cool they had their own 'lid' you can cut open before baking :lol:

But damn, they didnt take heat well. Both suffered badly every time the heat hit 32*C and one vine flat out died with half ripe fruit on it the second time the weather hit 38*C+ for a few days.

So I figure QLD Blue might be more adapted to heat. Its got a nice shape for even baking and is said to store for 6-8 months.

Anyone grown this critter in full sun with 42*C summers?

Did it perform well and did the leaves taste good?

I dont want to maintain 185 sq ft of garden just for another partial failure next year :wacko:

My family grows various pumpkins (QLD blue, jap, butternut) in western NSW which gets to 45 most years. They grow in full sun with little water compared to the other veges. They are stored on wire racks under the porch (probably gets as hot as outside temps) and they keep for 6 months easy and often longer. I remember there still being good eating ones when the next season seeds were being planted.

I never ate the leaves so cant comment on that but from memory the jap always performed better and kept longer but i would have to confirm this. The butternuts were the worst performers in those conditions but still worth it considering the minal effort needed.

As a side note I just invented squash burritos :lol:

Burrito wrappers made from 2 cups unbleached flour, 2/3 cup water, 1 tbsp oil, oregano, garlic powder.

Wrappers were stuffed with baked squash and cooked at 175*C for 18 minutes

Made 8 mini-burritos.

Its good eatin' man :drool2:

ah, good info sapito. Sounds like my guess about QLD blue was right.

Now to investigate jap

JAP = Just Another Pumpkin

I always thought that was funny but probably just a useless piece of information. :blush: