The Corroboree
ballzac

Growing turmeric

Okay, so my main question is: How small a rhizome can you start off with? I also need general advice.

A year or two ago I had a nice big rhizome (like the average size of ginger you get at the supermarket, a couple of inches wide and four or 5 long). I planted it in some well drained soil at about this time of year and watered it every few days letting it dry out briefly in between. This was based on advice I had read online. A few months later it had done nothing so I dug it up and it had just shrivelled up. It didn't look like it had ever even thrown a root.

Anyway, lately I've only been able to find rhizomes that are a little smaller than my thumb, so I'm wondering if it's possible to get these going, and also if anyone with actually experience growing them can offer some advice. Apparently they don't do to well with frosts, but I could probably bring it inside over winter if I can get it growing through summer.

Cheers. :)

Where have you sourced your rhizomes? They may not still be alive if from the supermarket. Perhaps try getting them to sprout before burying them deeply by only just covering the rhizome with soil and only keep the soil damp, not wet.

Small rhizomes would be fine to start with, providing they're viable.

Turmeric simply goes dormant in cool areas over winter, so it doesn't matter about frost. They are susceptible to rot while dormant, so the rhizomes should be kept on the dry side.

Yeah, I just got them from a supermarket, a good one, but a supermarket nonetheless. I didn't realise rhizomes could die and still appear normal. How would one tell whether it is still viable or not?

Thanks for the advice.

Not sure to tell you the truth. The only way I know of it to see if you can get it to sprout. I could be wrong, maybe rhizomes can't die and still appear normal, but seeing as they're often kept refrigerated, they're appearance would be preserved just like any other vegetable or fruit, regardless of whether they're viable or not. Sweet potatoes are a good example. They look fine, but usually just rot if not eaten in time. Sometimes though, you might strike lucky and have one sprout.

If you don't succeed with any of the supermarket rhizomes, you can buy plants pretty easily for very little money. Alternatively, I might be able to take a rhizome off one of my plants when I repot them.

Cool, thanks man. I don't know what ginger, galangal and turmeric are like, but hop rhizomes are routinely kept in the fridge over winter in warmer areas and are still viable. I'll see how I go with them. Might have just been unlucky last time, and the source is different, so even if the other one wasn't viable, these might be.

Ginger et al. rhizomes are just kept dry over winter, but not in the fridge. Because they're already dormant, there's no need. You can either leave them in the ground/pot, but keep them on the drier side, or uproot them and keep them dry indoors. Dry sand is a good way to store dormant rhizomes and tubers. Allows them to stay dry with desiccating.

Definitely worth trying again. Still, plants and dormant rhizomes are available for as little as $5.

most of the rhizomes from the supermarket will grow quite alright, as said you are better off, trying at leas five of them in one go and let them set roots first in a pot.

they like free draining, and deep soil, commercial ginger crops get watered quite a lot.

if you don't water them heaps, the rhizome will be woody and impossible to consume.

Irie,

As with ginger I often find turmeric sprouting when kept somewhere dark and humid...back of the veggie rack!!

I would suggest let them sprout before planting!

Respect,

Z

Irie,

Pictures speak louder than words!

Here's some I planted a few months back & some sprouts from the back of the veggie rack.

Respect,

Z

post-5111-0-31783200-1314981473_thumb.jp

post-5111-0-93222500-1314981488_thumb.jp

post-5111-0-31783200-1314981473_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-93222500-1314981488_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-31783200-1314981473_thumb.jpg

post-5111-0-93222500-1314981488_thumb.jpg

ah, awesome. Thanks for posting man :)

I was under the impression you let it sprout before planting. Also, some supermarket vegies are fed anti growth hormones to stop them from sprouting and have a longer shelf life.