The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Buttsack

Greenhouse from Ebay

i had a shelf fall off one of my shelves in my 1.8 x 1.8 greenhouse which sucked. Make sure they are tied down well. to keep the frame locked together securely. otherwise plants are upside down on the floor :(

• Like 1

So to anyone thinking of buying a greenhouse off Ebay, here's my warning for you. They are the filmiest pieces of shit money could be wasted on. Firstly, the wall height of the one I bought was not 190cm, it was 150cm. Then, the frame which the entire greenhouse sits on only had six pathetic little clips, which bend easily. Anyway, mine collapsed in the hectic winds today and is now a mangled mess. Waste of money, waste of time, waste of resources. If you want a greenhouse, I suggest building your own. It's sure to be better, no matter how inept you may be with your hands.

oh no man, that sucks. I wonder if mine and yours is the same? Im quite surprised how sturdy mine is

Mine wasn't finished being constructed, but with only six little clips as anchor points to the base, I fail to see how it would have made a difference. At least it didn't happen with all my plants inside. Now that would have sucked.

Retarded design to have to do that to make it secure. So frustrating...

Live and learn I guess. Such a waste on so many levels though.

I ended up buying a 3.7m x 2m greenhouse from byrontrader for $400. I'll be putting it together in the next week.

What have you guys used for the base?

I'm thinking of following this guide for my base

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/base/base.shtml

I don't want to use treated pine because it will corrode the aluminium, so cypress seems like the best choice if I could find it.

Edited by Buttsack

You could always put a plastic barrier like snakeskin/black plastic (not sure of the real name) to separate the treated pine from aluminium.

If I owned my own home I would go the concrete base route but if renting the timber option is probably better as it can be removed quite easily and grass laid when you move out to cover the area where the greenhouse was.

i kinda like dirt the floor in mine. I might do some steping stones, but once the benches are finished it will have plants in the ground under the main benches

I have a dirt floor with a couple of pool pavers for a walkway

cost me $100

here she is

post-7855-0-80627100-1319948913_thumb.jp

and just big enough for me to be able to setup a little aquaponics system (should be completed in the near future.. I hope)

post-7855-0-13634400-1319949000_thumb.jp

post-7855-0-80627100-1319948913_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-13634400-1319949000_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-80627100-1319948913_thumb.jpg

post-7855-0-13634400-1319949000_thumb.jpg

I'm setting up the greenhouse now and just putting some clear panel fencing up to protect it more from the wind. The fence panels are clear but blocks 99% of UV light. They are designed to have a certain side facing the sun.

Will the panels blocking the UV light affect plant growth?

I was just gonna build my own with decking off cuts and make it mobile so I can move it from one vegie bed to another. Having trouble sourcing the right material for the 'glass' though...

As for frustrating builds - nah mate - try putting to french drains in leading to a silt pit and then having so much rain TWICE that the water seaps under the pit and renders the whole thing useless...LOL...