The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Buttsack

Greenhouse from Ebay

I'm looking at getting a greenhouse and the ones on ebay seem pretty good for the price

$469 - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminium-Garden-Hot-House-Shed-GREENHOUSE-/380361245743?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item588f4c042f

Has anyone bought anything like this from ebay?

I'll be making a timber base and covering the ground with black plastic, then gravel. Then put the greenhouse on top.

sucks if your not in the free postage area...

would make it over $700 in total for me.

Looks good but you could make a uglier but cheaper one yourself.

Yeah I'm not in the free postage area either but I'll probably just get it delivered to a friends then go and pick up from there. This looks stirdy but I've only seen pictures. I reckon buying one will outweigh the time it would take me to build one.

I literally just purchased one off a different seller yesterday. Make sure you check what the height at the top of the walls are, as many of them are only 150cm. The one I bought is ~190cm apparently (2.5m at the apex of the roof). I got a smaller one, due to space restrictions, but at $275 delivered, it's a good deal.

Good point about the wall height. Which one did you get?

This one.

I would have liked to have made my own, but I just don't have enough time with uni at the moment. I also doubt the raw materials to construct my own would have ended up any cheaper.

Edited by tripsis

I'm looking at getting a greenhouse and the ones on ebay seem pretty good for the price

$469 - http://www.ebay.com....=item588f4c042f

Has anyone bought anything like this from ebay?

I'll be making a timber base and covering the ground with black plastic, then gravel. Then put the greenhouse on top.

I was looking at this type of set up some time back, but I didn't end up getting one due to cash flow problems. They look good IMO. I would have just use a good base of crushed rock for the flooring though..

tripsis I had a look at a few and most seem to be 1.5m like you said. The seller you listed seems to be the cheapest for the ones with the higher walls.

I would have just use a good base of crushed rock for the flooring though..

Why crushed rock and not gravel? I'd rather small/medium round gravel on the floor since it won't hurt my bare feet.

Edited by Buttsack

im debating between spending $300 on ebay for a greenhouse or going to bunnings and spending an equal amount of cash for a greenhouse...

Suggestions please, id like a long term housing unit for my vines to go crazy on..

Edited by FungiFriend

Why crushed rock and not gravel? I'd rather small/medium round gravel on the floor since it won't hurt my bare feet.

I pictured crushed rock in my Glasshouse as it can be compacted and acts like a slab of concrete kinda, less chance for weeds,( i suppose this is where your usage of black plastic comes into the picture). I dont know what the price difference is between crushed rock and gravel though , but i am always looking for the cheaper option.

By the way, welcome to the Forum Buttsack.

Edited by Amazonian

im picturing black plastic lining the grassy floor, covered with rocks/gravel...

Have you ever thought of mossing the plastic and adding stepping stones rather than gravel or rocks for a base for a purely "amazonian" greenhouse...

Any suggestions would be great :) .. about to make my trip down to bunnings in 15mins :P

Just gonna grab what i can from bunnings. (sorry for attempting to hijack the thread, needed quick answers and figured since someone knowledgeable was already posting :blush: )

Plastic/Mossy base with stepping stones.. will post sum pics when i have everything set :) really eager now!! :P

im picturing black plastic lining the grassy floor, covered with rocks/gravel...

Have you ever thought of mossing the plastic and adding stepping stones rather than gravel or rocks for a base for a purely "amazonian" greenhouse...

Any suggestions would be great :) .. about to make my trip down to bunnings in 15mins :P

Yeah FungiFriend, for sure, mossy is awesome!.

I actually had one of the big bunnings green houses. It was pretty good, although unless it is in a fairly sheltered position, the wind is just going to take it away or give it such a hard time that the joins in ther frame will break. So my advice is to tie it down pretty good. I know this because that is what killed mine in the end. It came with wire shelving which was great and i am still using that today. I am not sure about the use of plastic as part of a base as you want good drainage, dunno, just my opinion. Happy gardening.

I was thinking of sloping the greenhouse slightly as to provide run off in return for the loss of free drainage.. Opinions? setting it up as i type.. :P

Doubt it will happen today though, figures!! My one day off and i dont get to do what i had planned to :P gotta get me a car, motorbike just aint cutting it for these bunnings trips, lol. 2 trips just for the soil!! Gotta love cheap petty tho :blink:

Yeah i bought the 3.7m one of byron traders on ebay, its actually pretty good. Although im only half way through putting it up. Has stainless screws and everything, the ally is pretty strong sections too. Looks like it will actually last, i thought it would be way more flimsy and crappy for the money.

Good to know Hillbilly!

on a side note if anyone needs any welding or fabricating for staging or benches or the like, hit me up, im willing to trade for plants and intresting stuff too

Good to know, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

How much did you pay for yours Hillbilly? I'm looking at the one's from byrontraders since they seem to have the higher gutters. How high are the gutters on yours?

i havent built it as far as gutter yet LOL after the weekend it will be finished and ill post up some pics, i sniped it for i think was $370 or round that.

TNT lost one of the boxes for a couple of days but it turned up no dramas and when i told the seller that a box was lost they were so willing to help and promised they wouldn't let me down no matter what happened with tthe courier.

i hate over thinking...

Edited by Ulca

I'm planning to build my own with a big north east facing window, though the area I have has two huge trees so I have to build around them and make the roof extra sturdy :wacko:

Not to mention the area has been used for years to pile up grass clipping big sticks and lotsa leaves, also the soil is all shit coffee rock :angry:

gotta get that shit level, lay a base, get posts in and start building.

I've found some cool shit too, I dug up a Mullens Cordials Newcastle bottle and an old convict bullet casing :lol:

Don't say that! I'll be putting mine up next weekend...

just them plastic strips on the bottom of the wall panels. Make sure you have a rubber hammer and a bit of vasoline. I have also pop riveted the body to the base as nothing really held it on as per their plans. Maybe a bit of silicon sealer too i have been sealing as i go. I think this will help it hold together too.