The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
zelly

Extreme variation in spines on 1 plant

Question

Four stems from one root ball, the tallest stem is around 60 cm.

I'm curious why 3 of the stems closely resemble PC pach, whereas the 4th stem definitely does not.

post-3765-0-66289600-1314328087_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-54905300-1314328243_thumb.jp

Any ideas?

post-3765-0-66289600-1314328087_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-54905300-1314328243_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-66289600-1314328087_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-54905300-1314328243_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

It looks to me like your plant has a pretty bad case of multiple personality disorder. I prescribe some Xanax.

But in all seriousness, I have noticed on some plants that spine length increases in response to stressors, such as snail browsing.

nice specimens, the crest in the second one is a beast

it looks like it may be a pach x macro or peruvianus, but it's weird how whatever its crossed with has only appeared toward the tip

Any ideas?

Only One. But it will be difficult to get those awesome looking plants in my cabbin baggage on the plane. :innocent_n:

Great collection, Zelly! Your one of the best! Because of the Spines: Well, there are so many plants that show local hybridisation with pachanoi and i assume yours might have something else in it. Or maybe its just natural variation. You know how variabel Trichs can be.

Edited by Evil Genius

In horticulture, wouldn't this be considered a " sport "?

Mature growth often has a different character, this reminds me of the so called short spine KK242, when cutting are small it has short spines, however as it ages and grows more mature it grows long spines just like the photos above.

This is kind of typical with some plants, especially with hybrid forms involving short and long spine parents, often sun exposure also has to do with this, the spines affect PAR and brighter conditions often result in longer spines than slightly dimmer conditions. Interestingly because some people basically think that long spines is distinctive for peruvianoids and short spines are distinctive for pachanoids this type of shifting in visual traits of growth leads to debates about whether a clone is one or the others, a good example is the plant called Kimnach pachanoi, I believe this to be more peruvianoid than pachanoid and when it grows in bright conditions it does grow wide with long spines, but put it into slightly less light and it has short spines and grows a bit thinner, so under some conditions it looks like a peruvianus and in others it looks like a pachanoi.

I believe that in the future this plant will grow more long spines and at as it matures that trait will be dominant on the growth, I also believe that longer spines may start growing from older areoles that have short spines initially.

Edited by Archaea

Four stems from one root ball, the tallest stem is around 60 cm.

I'm curious why 3 of the stems closely resemble PC pach, whereas the 4th stem definitely does not.

post-3765-0-66289600-1314328087_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-54905300-1314328243_thumb.jp

Any ideas?

I'd take a closer look to see if that spiny one is actually from the same root system. Is this a single four limbed plant or a number of seed grown plants (or rooted clippings) that were then planted in the ground as one "root ball"? It almost looks like there are four individually rooted plants there...just grown quite close.

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith

wow i love the morphing bridgesii

also notice that the short spine has some funky growth going on similar to what some crested/monstrose plants do....

Im not sure if its the case with your plant, but i have noticed a LOT what Archae says about sun. light affects spine morphology a LOT!

but in that plant, if indeed the same plant, i am more inclined to lean towards it being a monstrose stem that is having some growing pains.

wow i love the morphing bridgesii

I second that, best melted wax i've seen

Awesome garden zelly.

That T. bridgesii is the TBM clone 'A', right?

looks like it hey!

Also lovely crest and the varigated trich on the right.

Wicked garden!