The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mud

Horehound

Horehound..

thought it would taste nicer, with this subtle minty-apple smell.

Its got a bit of spice to it. No.. not that kind.

I've been using mullein through the cold wet weather. It's the best expectorant i've used

out of few commercial cough syrups available. But I ran out of mullein and feel like having a good ol dog barking cough.

So I made a tea with 2tsp of dried horehound.. more bitter than cactus..

but I feel so relaxed I couldnt be bothered coughing. VERY sedating stuff.

I'm looking forward to making some horehound ale when the local crop gets its new growth.

its claimed to be:

Antispasmodic.

Anodyne.

Sedative.

Mydriatic

Anyway, its even better than chamomile I rection.

I also put in on a par with Damiana for colour enhancement

Edited by mud

good work geezer.

i appreciate these write ups on common plants you've done, very interesting.

They were crapping on about this plant on Triple J with the suggestion that it works well as a weed substitute.

You know,

I think its underestimated. The horehound effect would certianly go well with other herbal smokes.

But to take this with a grain of salt,

as I tend to talk up a lot of common plants..

Something bout the oils in this one tho, similar to yarrow

and myrtle and other old fashioned gruit herbs..

I made 3 cups of tea with the horehound. It had already been dried,

but the leaves kept a brilliant green colour..and the 3rd cup was as strong as the first.

There's no way those recipes could squeeze near a kilo of leaf into a brew.

It'd be bitter enough to kill a man I reckon.

Bundy makes a Horehound non-alc cider/beer that's really nice....or the used to.

I've been looking for it for ages now.

It's a relaxing bevvy!

Relaxing, yes! : )

Horehound 'trip' report

I've kind of overlooked sedatives in the past.

But this horehound, i've got a hankering for it. A lot of bitter things.. they taste crap.. and then weeks later, they start playing on my mind 9and tastebuds) so bad I just have to go again.

THEN, they somehow seem to taste nicer :S 'Bitter' definitely takes some 'aquiring' I reckon.

And so does the state. The relaxing. The sedated. I equated sedatives with sleep and sleeping.. but im surprised to find its not like that at all.

Especially horehound.

After a cuppa horehound (2 medium leaves, with lemon and honey)

I had one pint at the local, that took me 2 hours to finish! :S It was a really nice, chilled and calm couple of hours. With great convo.. and at so many junctures that i'd normally turn ape, (I probably use too many stimulants, and enjoy the 'up' far too much) I found it very easy to breathe through it. lol. Maybe cos its a decongestant? ha.

Anyway, a few dudes came out to smoke in front of the no smoking signs where I was enjoying a quiet one. Without hesitation I engaged them, I said "I can't have you do that.. and you 'cant' do that either"

and just when they put their stuff down to shrug off the comment, turn up the hostility and walk over with a 'what the fuck' and "what did u just say?" I reply with and a soft, but smooth and calm edge (just like the furry silver leaves of horehound: the subtle yet obtuse statment only nature can organically make), "man, im an asthmatic enjoying a nonsmoking area and you're about to break the law.."

there's that slight subtle moment of confusion.. a searching for meaning.. a decision.. i'm too calm to feel fear.. i'm too capable enough anyhows.. but its like there's some fairydusted protection about my mind..about my state.. and I really like it..

and yeah, that moment of choice that mighta went sour in the past- just melted straight into 'Aw, sorry dude.. we'll go out front"

: )

Thanks nature!