The Corroboree
Tomer Corymbosa

Is It Real M.hostilis??

Aww sad to hear it Pisgah.

I soaked 5 lepto seeds overnight, 3 swelled and I planted them, I hope they come up, anyway thanks. :)

B&T world seeds sells M hostilis/tenuiflora, anyone tried them and seen what those seeds produced?

How do we know that a lot of the stands being used aren't just huge colonies of single plants. Do we now for sure flower color is consistent from seed?

What about M. verrucosa?

What flower color does it have?

I had an obtusifolia look like it died at about 16° F (about -9°C) the other day.

A very dehydrated pedro looks only slightly damaged and the T grandiflorus hybrids I left out look just fine.

I think you are spot on with your idea of M.verrucosa. Several features match our current plants, incl the pink flower. Well done!

Thanks, when I was reading about it I read a 98 paper by Ott (here: http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=16812 ) that mentioned your name. I think you one hell of an entheobotanist Torsten, as are a lot of the folks here. I am glad to be able to take part in the discussion at this site with people like you.

I have some seeds from a trade said to be M. hostilis, I am not sure I would mind if they are M. verrucosa.

I want to sow them and see what they look like. Any suggestions on conditions they favor?

If mine are the real deal - which I think they are - Muhuahahahahhahah muhahahahahhaha - Then I will contact that European vendor in a few years! It just seems to thrive!

Verucossa,.. very interested in this spp as well.

:devil:

I have some alleged Mimosa Hostilis seeds I bought a few months ago from three different vendors. A couple of days ago I got some seeds in a private transaction from a long-term poster at the Nook who received them from a personal friend in Brazil. These seeds are noticeably smaller in size than the other three lots purchased commercially. They're about 1/3 the size of the others. Whadaya think?

Mars, I chickened out on the obtusifolia. I moved them in.

Does anyone have any pics of verucosa?

And does anyone have any pics from the bahia jurema? Those seem to at least have a significant amount of DMT, whatever the species.

Nevermind. Looks like they use veruccosa and hostilis...

Thanks, when I was reading about it I read a 98 paper by Ott (here: http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=16812 ) that mentioned your name. I think you one hell of an entheobotanist Torsten, as are a lot of the folks here. I am glad to be able to take part in the discussion at this site with people like you.

he, he. And here I thought I had been talking to a brick wall. Seriously, at the time Jonathon Ott seemed totally disinterested. In fact, he argued that I was wrong, which kinda peeved me because I had a solid body of practical work to back up my claims. I am so glad my early work with moclobemide was actually recognised. Thanks Archaea, you just made my day B)

I have some seeds from a trade said to be M. hostilis, I am not sure I would mind if they are M. verrucosa.

I want to sow them and see what they look like. Any suggestions on conditions they favor?

This is an interesting point. Because verrucosa looks so much like pudica when young, I figured they all were pudica. What struck me as odd was that all of the seedlings from one vendors died over winter, while a batch from another vendor is doing fine. As I have grown pudica before and have never had them die in winter I was a bit surprised. It appears that verrucosa may not be able to deal with temps as low as 7 degC while in seedling stage. This may be an easy way to tell pudica and verrucosa apart.

So my recommendation is to watch out for cold and to start them early int he season. They are probably much hardier once they reach 30cm or so.

B&T world seeds sells M hostilis/tenuiflora, anyone tried them and seen what those seeds produced?

I wold love to share into a batch of seed of this if anyone is interested in ordering them. I have a real problem understanding how hostilis and tenuiflora can be the same species seeing as one has flower spikes and the other has flower balls.

Brian appears to have the real hostilis and I already have some growing, so now I'd like to grow some 'hostilis' from mexico (ie tenuiflora).

I might go to MEx next summer ( winter for you guys) And if I will definately go to that region.

I got some supossed Hostilis from Teo, So far they are growing very healthily (apart from being dosed with pyrethrum!!).

They are growing in a very upright fashion, the stems are growing woody and red, and there is the odd spine, red pointing straight out, they look ver much like the picture pisgah put up of his M hostilis, fingers crossed!! :wink:

Does anyone have any experience pruning tap roots on mimosa and leaving radial roots to thicken? Will it kill the plant to root prune in such a way?

I'm thinking a good way to maintain a large number of plants in my limited space is to bonsai these mean little plants. I'm going to try it, mainly because it is practical, but also it will set me up for an annual root-bark harvest each spring.

BTW, here are some photos I thought were interesting...

http://www.tacethno.com/photos/mimosahostilis.html