The Corroboree
klip247

Mushrooms of Romania

I am here in Romania and staying very close to a dense forest, further north of Suceava near the border of Ukraine, anyhow ive had the opportunity to go patrolling for mushrooms, I hope you enjoy the photos, I will further update this thread with more photos if given the chance to go looking again, since we are up in a mountainous region the weather can change quite rapidly from sunny weather to thunderstorms and heavy rain.

Edible Boletes (or Hribi as they call them around here):

58e23b.jpg

74789a.jpg

Unknown mushrooms:

9fc6e4.jpg

517053.jpg

cb1783.jpg

07de92.jpg

7130e7.jpg

d3e874.jpg

762630.jpg

3d5e93.jpg

0726b5.jpg

611575.jpg

b12e3b.jpg

72989d.jpg

eae5cb.jpg

1ef21b.jpg

cc5c68.jpg

d37498.jpg

26da61.jpg

7b4f1d.jpg

c2db9b.jpg

97340a.jpg

1b73bd.jpg

Perfect Amanita:

59f09a.jpg

96a939.jpg

537408.jpg

Habitat Shots:

710902.jpg

d280d8.jpg

fc83d4.jpg

508b45.jpg

4fc2f8.jpg

The forest looks absolutely stunning man, good job. Would love to go for a bush-walk around there.

Awesome, thanks for sharing. You've taken some really nice shots. How long are you in Romania for?

O Eastern Europe: How I miss thee!

Thanks for sharing Klip. Great photos.

wow cool, i really like european forests. too bad i spent most of my eurotrip in stupid industrial britain...scotland is nice.

but yeah watch out for bears...nice skull.

wicked!

could anyone identify the pine tree species in the last few pics?

keep taking those pics top quality

tripsis: just another month then ill be heading back home!

Today me and a relative went for a quick look around to see if we can find some edibles, it ended up turning into a full blown hunt with us gathering up to 4 kilos worth of boletes, unfortunately we didnt bring any bags with us so I took off my t-shirt and used that to carry around the harvest. We planned to go again tomorrow visiting some other spots, we hope to find some more... this time with a few plastic bags on hand.

835e3b.jpg

3c0c53.jpg

65ffcd.jpg

4bfedb.jpg

c7fdd4.jpg

2a2f22.jpg

8e72e2.jpg

7e9187.jpg

8b5af4.jpg

9bbfd5.jpg

2b753f.jpg

7fe3ee.jpg

e972ef.jpg

569a0f.jpg

3643d0.jpg

8328c5.jpg

95b68b.jpg

a03314.jpg

7842ad.jpg

Edited by klip247

Beautiful scenery. Those boletes look delicious. Very similar to some of the ones I found in northern India, which I felt sure would have been edible.

Is # 5 a false chanterelle?

Looks like a great find. That country is VERY similar to whats here too, in Western Oregon. Looks like

you have found a great Amanita muscaria, and a few psilocybes. The tiny mushrooms you are trying to

identify look like a conocybe and sortof like psilocybe pellucilosa.

Jamison

Boletus edulis

Only pops from under moss as a symbiote with tree roots.

No moss, no trees, no mushrooms.

Get alot bigger than, but not my favorite.

Just the supermarket ones for taste.

The wood eating like oyster mushrooms is just from dead trees.

And not that tasty.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://americanmushrooms.com/deathcap.htm

Amanita phalloides

The World's Most Dangerous Mushroom

[introduction

NO MUSHROOM is worthier of fear than the terribly poisonous Death Cap (Amanita phalloides). This single, widespread species of mushroom is solely responsible for the majority of fatal and otherwise serious mushroom poisoning cases, worldwide as well as in North America. Indeed, one might argue that the Death Cap's notorious, relatively frequent victimization of Homo sapiens is far and away the best explanation (or rationalization) for the widespread fear of edible wild mushrooms.

Ecology and Range of A. phalloides in North America

This mushroom is rare in most parts of North America but locally common in such areas as the San Francisco Bay area, where it is typically found from mid-autumn through late winter. Primarily a European species, there is no evidence that the Death Cap is native to North America. Ecologically, it is a beneficial mycorrhizal fungus—like Amanitas in general, it lives on the roots of live trees, providing phosphorus, magnesium, and other nutrients to the tree in exchange for carbohydrates.

In California, it occurs under live oak and cork trees (it apparently was brought in with cork tree seedlings, and has since adapted to native oaks). There is a similar situation in the Irondequoit area north of Rochester, New York: the Death Cap was first discovered in Durand-Eastman Park in the 1970s under Norway spruce trees that had been imported as nursery stock decades earlier. It has since been found in increasing numbers and in an ever-enlarging but still local range, under native oaks; it is rather reliably found there from late September through late October.

The Death Cap has also been reported under oaks in New Jersey and southern Oregon.

North America's "Southeast Asian Problem"

There are other mushrooms which are as poisonous—or nearly as poisonous—as A. phalloides, but this one species causes far more poisonings than the others. There is an explanation for this.

CONTINUED BELOW...

Most victims of life-threatening mushroom poisoning in North America are people from Southeast Asia—Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Viet Nam. They apparently mistake Death Caps for edible "Paddy-Straw" (Volvariella volvacea) mushrooms. The two are similar in several ways—cap color, size, and the white "cup" around the base of the stalk—but different in others (for example, the Paddy-Straw has a pink spore print, the Death Cap a white spore print; and the Death Cap has a partial veil). The Paddy Straw mushroom occurs in tropical and temperate areas worldwide, and is especially common in Southeast Asia; the Death Cap, alas, does not occur in Southeast Asia, so folks from that part of the world are unaware of the lethal "look-alike]

---------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

[is a poisonous and psychoactive basidiomycete fungus, one of many in the genus Amanita. Native throughout the temperate and boreal regions of the Northern Hemisphere, Amanita muscaria has been unintentionally introduced to many countries in the Southern Hemisphere, generally as a symbiont with pine plantations, and is now a true cosmopolitan species. It associates with various deciduous and coniferous trees. The quintessential toadstool, it is a large white-gilled, white-spotted, usually deep red mushroom, one of the most recognizable and widely encountered in popular culture. Several subspecies, with differing cap colour, have been recognised to date, including the brown regalis (considered a separate species), the yellow-orange flavivolvata, guessowii, and formosa, and the pinkish persicina. Genetic studies published in 2006 and 2008 show several sharply delineated clades which may represent separate species.

Although generally considered poisonous, deaths are extremely rare, and it has been consumed as a food in parts of Europe, Asia, and North America after parboiling in water. Amanita muscaria is now primarily famed for its hallucinogenic properties, with its main psychoactive constituent being the compound muscimol. It was used as an intoxicant and entheogen by the peoples of Siberia and has a religious significance in these cultures. There has been much speculation on traditional use of this mushroom as an intoxicant in places other than Siberia; however, such traditions are far less well-documented. The American banker and amateur ethnomycologist R. Gordon Wasson proposed the fly agaric was in fact the Soma talked about in the ancient Rig Veda texts of India; since its introduction in 1968, this theory has gained both followers and detractors in anthropological literature.[1]]

---------------------------------------------------------

Tried it and not interestingly as fun.

Like couple shots of vodka without the fun.

could anyone identify the pine tree species in the last few pics?

...reckon they're some species of Fir Tree (Abies spp.)...or maybe Spruce (Picea spp).

I get them mixed up a bit cause i don't get to see many here, they don't like hot and/or dry.

Not Pines strictly speaking, but all are hosts to many species of mycorrhizal fungi just the same.

tripsis: just another month then ill be heading back home!

Today me and a relative went for a quick look around to see if we can find some edibles, it ended up turning into a full blown hunt with us gathering up to 4 kilos worth of boletes, unfortunately we didnt bring any bags with us so I took off my t-shirt and used that to carry around the harvest. We planned to go again tomorrow visiting some other spots, we hope to find some more... this time with a few plastic bags on hand.

95b68b.jpg

Hey bro do you have a larger sized version of this pic?! I'd love to use it as my wallpaper :P

Hey bro do you have a larger sized version of this pic?! I'd love to use it as my wallpaper :P

Sure, you can find a larger version here: link