The Corroboree
Slybacon

Netbooks (Mini Laptops)

I can't find one much better then the Asus EeePc.

154818_med.jpg

Asus Asus Eee PC E350 12.1" LED 1.66Ghz 2GB RAM 500GB HD [1215B-BLK053M]

Asus Eee PC E350 12.1" LED 1.66Ghz 2GB RAM 500GB HD, 6310 11N+BT 6 CELL 0.3M 1YR W7HP (

If I can get it delivered for less than $530 in red, I think I'll get it.

Edit > CT, do you know ehere I can get one for Sub $1000 prices tho. Thats whats holding me back from the Air.

Edited by Slybacon

If you want something with great battery life and good heating get something with SD memory not a HD (they tend to be really small though, like 8-20gb)

Im a big fan of the EEE they def know what there doing with netbooks. I have one of the REAL old 7' EEE's wich isnt so flash, but they sell for $50 on Ebay now days :P

Yo,

So I ended up going for the Asus EeePC. Got a red one for $475! from Penta.

155284_med.jpg

ASUS Eee PC 1215B-RED026M

AMD DC E350 1.66GHz,

2GB, 500GB,

12.1" LED,

HD 6310,

11N+BT,

6 CELL,

0.3M,

W7HP,

1YR

thats a good price, can you put a ssd in there? i bought a 128gb ssd for my desktop a few weeks ago for 210$ :D

Interface =

1 x VGA Connector

3 x USB 2.0

1 x USB 3.0 *1

1 x LAN RJ-45

1 x HDMI

2 x Audio Jack (Headphone/Mic-In)

1 x Card Reader : SD/ SDHC/ SDXC/ MMC

Yeah thats a good idea, and keep your On Board HD just with the basics so it runs nice and smooth... I'm also going to source a USB powered DVD/R drive, I think it could come in handy. Although I don't really see a need for CD's in our modern age when you can By 128g SD for backing up. Really all CD players should just be SD or USB. Heaps more stable.

Edited by Slybacon

Quite a nice buy there Sly. I didn't think you'd be able to find one with a HDMI out port but I guess the times are changing.

Congrats

Congrats on your purchase Slybacon, let us know if linux runs nicely on your machine when you get it up and going. It'd be interested to know if you find browsing the internet on the Eee pc an enjoyable experience on a screen that size, and also if you're browsing/downloading is as fast as on a desktop. I already have a laptop but I'm considering getting something smaller in the future as carrying my lappy around isn't helping my back.

Hi guys. Im an old codger [54] and only just started using a computer that my brother gave me. I was thinking of buying a Dell laptop. Any opinions on Dell products??

Hi guys. Im an old codger [54] and only just started using a computer that my brother gave me. I was thinking of buying a Dell laptop. Any opinions on Dell products??

I'm not a fan of Dell computers myself. I have an old Dell laptop and the battery didn't last that long on it. It wasn't worth getting another battery so it's only usable if it's plugged in nowadays.

Plus they've had a few battery scares in the past.

Fire Hazard Prompts Gigantic Dell Laptop Battery Recall

Company says 4.1 million batteries--affecting nearly all Dell notebook lines--are on the recall list.

By Robert Mullins, IDG News Aug 15, 2006 10:00 am

Computer maker Dell today said it will recall 4.1 million laptop computer batteries because of a potential fire hazard. It's reportedly one of the largest consumer electronics recalls in history.

The lithium-ion batteries being recalled are installed in 2.7 million laptops sold in the United States and 1.4 million sold overseas between April 2004 and July 18 of this year, Dell said.

"Under rare conditions, it is possible for these batteries to overheat, which could cause a risk of fire," Dell said in a statement. The comapany said the overheating was caused by a manufacturing defect in batteries made for it by Sony.

Customers may continue to use the laptop computers safely by turning the system off, ejecting the battery, and using the AC adapter and power cord to power the system until the replacement battery is received, the company said.

Models Affected

The recalled batteries were sold with the following Dell notebook computers: Dell Latitude D410, D500, D505, D510, D520, D600, D610, D620, D800, D810; Inspiron 6000, 8500, 8600, 9100, 9200, 9300, 500m, 510m, 600m, 6400, E1505, 700m, 710m, 9400, E1705; and Dell Precision M20, M60, M70 and M90 mobile workstations; and XPS, XPS Gen2, XPS M170 and XPS M1710.

The batteries were also sold separately, including in response to service calls. The words "Dell" and one of the following are printed on the batteries: "Made in Japan" or "Made in China" or "Battery Cell Made in Japan Assembled in China," Dell said.

Dell urged customers to visit the firm's Web site beginning at 1 a.m. U.S. Central Daylight Time Tuesday or call toll-free at 1-866-342-0011, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CDT. Dell is headquartered in Round Rock, Texas, near Austin.

In past instances of battery recall, Dell and the CPSC urged consumers to stop using the laptops' batteries until they received a replacement. Lithium-ion batteries also are used in cell phones, camcorders, digital cameras and other consumer electronics products.

Dell said it is cooperating with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in conducting the recall. The federal agency described it as the largest recall in the history of the consumer electronics industry, according to published reports.

According to the CPSC, lithium-ion batteries have been cited in recalls of other laptop models, including computers from Hewlett-Packard and from Apple Computer.

Other Recent Laptop Battery Recalls

Dell made other voluntary recalls of 22,000 laptop batteries in December 2005, 284,000 in 2001 and27,000 in 2000, according to the CPSC.

Dell reported six instances in which laptops overheated and caused fires since December of last year, although no one was injured in any of the incidents, the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal reported today.

Link

I don't know about their laptops (besides the exploding battery scare), but their PCs are crap in my experience. I'd rather go with ASUS or Acer myself.

ASUS, MSI or leader when it comes to laptops Major Tom

Ah shit.

I just bought one of these too. But Penta fucked me around royally. The communication was awful, they couldn't tell me if it was in stock, when I would be getting it. I read reviews of theirs on Whirlpool tech forum and they were hopeless. I ended up not getting it and battling them for a refund, which I got.

I then ordered the 1215B from OnlineComputer Tech in Sydney. They were great.

Do a Google search for "eee pc 1215 trackpad problem". You'll probably need to sort this out. I haven't opened mine up yet to fix it.

Sorry I didn't read this earlier! Could have chimed in before you bought.

M

Yes Penta were HOPELESS!!! but thats what you get when you agree the value is $530 and you push till you find $475!.... They sent it out 4 days late in the end but working fine. The track pad is a little annoying. And the fan is a little loud, but other than that I am happy. I am running Linux UBUNTU 14.02. Which is running very smooth after a few tweeks.