The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiraleyes

psycotria viridis

Guest Captain Rats

I'd be interested too if anyone has any.

Cap.

Me too!

Originally posted by brian:

Me too!

I already have a few Viridis plants , but they are all from the same stock....

Guest reville

So how hard is this one to grow?

I wouldnt mind some comments on it

Indoor? or Outdoor?

Quite a slow grower, try P. Carthagenensis lower alkaloid content but faster growth. Have P.viridis is in green house under 50% shade, still quite small, but growth this season has been fantastic. Will put in the ground next Spring next to Coffea Arabica(same family), which is in full sun. Have had numerous problems propogating P.Viridis from leaf cutting, all trials end with the leaves turning brown prior to root formation, cuttings are under humidity dome in coarse sand/vermiculate mix with rooting compound but no luck??? Just keep trying I guess!! glad of tenacity!!

The Viridis that I grew from leaf cuttings are doing quite well... I put them in a soilmixture of regulAR potting mix with some sharp sand...... (an easy plant to cultivate from cuttings, just gotto keep the humidity high)

I do not use rooting hormone... just put the leaf in the ground and put a clear glass pot over the leaf.... make sure it encloses it entirly...and that water can wet the soil between the glass jar and the pot.

They say that if you break the leafs main stem..... or cut the top part of the leaf (wich you can also plant again)....

The cutting will then sprout where the leafstem was broken or cut....

http://forums.spiritplants.com/ikonboard.c...ct=ST;f=2;t=337

There is some nice info on Viridis cultivation if you follow the given link above.......

In case the link does not work... go to spiritplants.com>Forum>Plants>Rainforest>Psychotria Viridis growing conditions.

Hi guys,

I might be able to put all you Psycho{-}tria

seekers in touch with a super keen grower up here. He'll post them to you. He sells young plants for about 20-25 dollars i think. They are really healthy plants. He's got about fifty more mature plants (2.5 yrs old) in a small clearing in the bush on his property. It is still pretty shady because the canopy is still in place. They look great. He might even have 'kits' for sale next year if you want to buy those. He gave me half a dozen leaves from which i got about fifty leaf cuttings by cutting them straight up the midrib and then cutting the halves into postage stamp size segments and planting them into a tray of 48 cells. bottom half of each leaf cutting in the soil. Mist regularly with water and kept in a box with glass lid until i can afford a little plastic lid that fits nicely onto the tray.

He has inspired me to really 'sow and reep'. We can't have too many of these plants growing in Australia. We need more growers!! The sooner we get crops started, the better. I mean when you look at an exponential growth curve, you realise that every moment you hesitate now, it'll mean a MUCH bigger difference in the future... and the future is when we will need these plants the most.

email me or look for fractalhead at EB.

Guest Captain Rats

Your email seems to be bouncing Fractalhead..?

Guest reville

Fractal you are a cahmpion and i echo your sentiments on the need to push on now for major benefits later.

BTW hows the caapi going.

Well people im thinking of building a small hydro setup for growing tropicals and making cuttings

Id like caapi P viridis and other legal collectibles under it, do you think id be able to get good growth in this system. I hope it can pay for itself with plants sold.

what i mean is - is the slow growth due to the plant itself or due to less than optimal conditions

Hi guys,

Yeah I got your emails and i've replied to all the ones i got. as long as you used [email protected] i can't think of any reason why i wouldn't get the email. I'm really sorry for being slow to respond to everyone lately but i've been going through the stressful and time consuming operation of moving house and straight away preparing to go on a six month (minimum) trip down south (beginning with EB). I've just got a laptop now and i need to be online for uni so i'll still be around but may be a bit slower than normal to respond to emails as i may be a week or so between internet access points. I need to adjust to the change and minimize the impact of living without a backyard and without a constant connection to cyberspace. Rev, your caapi is in fine form and has already grown two stems of a metre each and it hasn't even started raining properly yet. I reckon it will really start to fly once the rain starts. Everyone here is spinning out and waiting for the wet season to start but it is very late. I'm worried it will all come at once in the form of a deadly cyclone season.

Anyway, I need to choose an appropriate position for it. At the moment most of my plants are in a shadehouse at Gem's place (Big thanks to Gem and her partner for babysitting my little green children while i go down south!!) but i know it won't be long before it is too big to stay in there. I was thinking it might be good to find a permanent place for it. I just removed my big HBWR vines from our old rental property backyard and while I've got a few really good root stocks, i had to cut back sooo much growth from the top to transplant them. Here i am trying to get to the flowering stage in the next few years and every time i move i have to cut my vines back. I think its time to look for an ideal and permanent site for a community ethnobotanical garden where these sort of plants can be left to grow to maturity. I think a lot of us would benefit from another such garden (the other being wandjina) Hmmmm... someone was telling me something about getting grants for projects like that. Anyone know anything about avenues for getting land or the money to buy land for a large community botanical garden and nursery/research centre? It would need to be a permanent place.

I hope you people have managed to sort out what you were after.

CHeers,

Adam.